$3.50 NLHE STT: How would you play this?

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 27/12/2

pokerstars, $3.11 + $0.39 - Hold'em No Limit - 60/120 (15 ante) - 7 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: 924 (8 bb)
MP (Hero): 2,378 (20 bb)
MP+1: 709 (6 bb)
CO: 1,671 (14 bb)
BU: 1,260 (11 bb)
SB: 1,776 (15 bb)
BB: 4,782 (40 bb)

Pre-Flop: (285) Hero is MP with Q J
1 fold, Hero raises to 300, 4 players fold, BB calls 180

Flop: (765) 5 Q 9 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets 420, BB calls 420

Turn: (1,605) 5 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets 1,643 (all-in), BB calls 1,643

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any reads on your opponent? Since your opponent is less than 20 big blinds after the flop, I might consider a shove on the flop after your opponent checked.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Any reads on your opponent? Since your opponent is less than 20 big blinds after the flop, I might consider a shove on the flop after your opponent checked.
I think you misread the effective stacks? BB has 40bb and is the villain.

Why shove the flop? What hands are calling us? What do we gain?

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you misread the effective stacks? BB has 40bb and is the villain.

Why shove the flop? What hands are calling us? What do we gain?

Yes, I did misread it. By making a less than pot bet on the flop, this puts you in a tight spot with less than 20bb left. Why give the villain an easier bet to call? Since you hit top pair and you have raised preflop, I would shove now.

Now that the villain called your post flop bet, why would this give you reason to shove after the turn? Any information on the villain?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't know what range OP put the villain on here, in BB, to me that's a very wide range. He could have a Qx with a weaker kicker and as such shoving on the flop may cause him to fold a weak kicker and to call only with stronger holdings. I would be against shoving on the flop or on the turn or on the river depending on what it is. This just smells like a big blind special being served up with a 2pair or better. Hitting a pair of queens with QJ is not a shovable spot imho. Just bet for value and see where you get instead of unnecessarily inflating the pot.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Top pair at 20bb effective it's totally fine to get the hands in....so almost no matter how you do it is fine.

QJs is a fine open in MP

now...because I'm picky and greedy I'm gonna try to bet smaller 3x to keep the weaker parts of his range alive because I'm just a little worried about folding out 9x or worse queens.

I would bet about 40% of the pot on flop, about 40-50% on turn and shove most rivers. Your line is fine... I just want to make sure I get value. My way is also susceptible to being sucked out on.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NH, well played IMO too. As Jacki points out you could size down to get max value at the risk of pricing in a draw to two pair / straight / flush but either line is fine in my opinion. With 20 BB there's just not a lot of options when you flop top pair and get a safe runout.