L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 23/16/2

HUD stats from 44 hands. Not happy with how I played this. I didn't feel Villain had been particularly aggressive so the flop check-raise was unexpected and I think it scared me off the hand.
How would you have played it?

pokerstars, $3.11 + $0.39 - Hold'em No Limit - 25/50 (6 ante) - 5 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG (Hero): 2,031 (41 bb)
CO: 3,858 (77 bb)
BU: 3,180 (64 bb)
SB: 1,049 (21 bb)
BB: 3,382 (68 bb)

Pre-Flop: (105) Hero is UTG with J A
Hero raises to 125, CO calls 125, 3 players fold

Flop: (355) 2 J 5 (2 players)
Hero bets 175, CO raises to 350, Hero calls 175

Turn: (1,055) 3 (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets 580, UTG (Hero) folds

Total pot: 1,055
CO wins 1,055

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It being a STT, TPTK is good enough for me to get it in on that flop.

2 pr is very unlikely, so if he's got a set, more power to him.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since you write you do not think villain was aggressive then what hand can we realistically think they are raising the flop with? I would not think, based on your writing, villain is doing this with a worse Jx so their range then leans heavily on 2 clubs, or a set (I dont see J2, J3 or 32 cold calling a raise). Their sizing of the raise makes me think they are on a flush draw and their bet is trying to buy a check on the turn where if they dont get a club they can check behind and see the river for only a min raise on the flop (like a limit play with raising on the flop to avoid a big bet on the turn).

Their play here to me screams two clubs so it comes down to do we raise them now or just call on the flop. We do have a set blocker in our jack however 33 and 22 would call pre most of the time to set mine. The problem in my book with 33 and 22 is that I would think those hands would raise bigger on the flop for value and protection. So to me, this is very likely a flush draw. We can raise here then but we have to raise an amount that lets us jam turn under pot when no club comes. I think raising to even 650 on the flop works and then play perfectly from there in a sense where when no club comes we jam and when a club comes we can safely fold thinking/knowing 2 club hands make up most of their range.

As played on the turn with only a flop call by you I think its a very easy fold unless you really believe KJ one club is doing this and I doubt that.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open.

Flop
The SPR was around 6, which according to old Splitsuit theory is in the "greyzone" for, if we take an overpair or strong top pair to the felt. So lets dive into, what we think, he can have, that he call preflop and now min-raise us on the flop. 55 and 22 makes sense, that he might setmine. Not quite getting enough implied odds, but even regulars often do it anyway. Two pair dont make sense on this board though. A regular is not casually throwing in a call with J5, J2 or 52. Just not happening. Overpairs and top set are also highly unlikely, since these would usually be 3-bet preflop.

So we basically lose to 6 combos of sets and beat everything else. His flushdraws. His A3s/A4s gutshots. Maybe 43s for a cute little suited connector. Its not totally out of the ordinary for people to be raising top pair on the flop either. AJ (same hand) or maybe KJ. So while in the greyzone, because of this specific board texture and the opponent type (he cant have two pair, which a fish might), I am willing to stack off, and therefore I would 3-bet to around 800 and call it off, if he jam.

Turn
Very narly card completing the flushdraw and A4s as well. This esentially take all bluffs out of his range, and a regular is probably slowing down with AJ/KJ on this card. You are basically beat, and as played I like your fold.