$3.50 NLHE STT: Fairly Common Situation; BTN open w/ 88, SB shove, BB calls...Hero??

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
$3.50 NLHE STT: Fairly Common Situation; BTN open w/ 88, SB shove, BB calls...Hero??

pokerstars - $3.11+$0.39|100/200 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 3 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3: http://www.pokertracker.com

BB: 4,123.00 (17/7 over 78 hands)
Hero (BTN): 6,372.00 (18/13 over 78 hands)
SB: 3,005.00 (17/15 over 78 hands)

BB posts ante 25.00, Hero posts ante 25.00, SB posts ante 25.00, SB posts SB 100.00, BB posts BB 200.00

Pre Flop: (375.00) Hero has 8d 8c

Hero raises to 500.00, SB raises to 2,980.00 and is all-in, BB calls 2,780.00, Hero ??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just recently eliminated a player w/AKs vs his 88 (he raised, I shoved, he called, I win) to take the chiplead, and had been getting fairly active on the bubble.

This hand was the first after the bubble. I figured the SB would be shoving nearly any Ax, and all pp 66+. BB was a little more conservative, I gave him AQ-AK, 10's+.

I opened, planning on calling a SB shove. Expected BB to fold all but the tops (also thought he'd re-pop with that range as well based on what I've seen). When Sb shoved I smiled. When BB called (leaving himself t1100 behind lol) I was taken by surprise.

I had enough stack to take the hit if I was dominated (did the BB want me to just put the rest in, instead of re-shoving and scaring me off?) and I also had the chance to win the whole thing. Figured the worst case scenario (since I felt we both had the SB crushed) is I'd be hu with a short stack. I was leaning toward a call with that reasoning, but would I be wrong calling knowing I was more than likely beat by the BB?

Last edited:
B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yah fold

no way you're in good shape here and the equity you lose is tremendous even if they have just 3 overs. You're very close to wrapping up 2nd here so fold.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This is why I post hands like this. Sometimes I gotta be told that I'm still a bad player :)

It's more of a discipline thing than anything. I know I should be folding 88 in this spot, but the greedy fish in me comes out and I just can't stop that bugger from making the call.

In the end I called, luckboxed and won it. The sweetness of the win was soured by the realization that I did it with a horrible call and horrible reasoning for the call.

PokerStars - $3.11+$0.39|100/200 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 3 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3: http://www.pokertracker.com

BB: 4,123.00
Hero (BTN): 6,372.00
SB: 3,005.00

Hero raises to 500.00, SB raises to 2,980.00 and is all-in, BB calls 2,780.00, Hero raises to 6,347.00 and is all-in, BB calls 1,118.00 and is all-in

Flop: (11251.00, 3 players) 9h Qh Ah

Turn: (11251.00, 3 players) 8s

River: (11251.00, 3 players) 3c

BB shows Tc Th (One Pair, Tens) (Pre 57%, Flop 44%, Turn 31%)
Hero shows 8d 8c (Three of a Kind, Eights) (Pre 17%, Flop 5%, Turn 69%)
SB shows Ad 4s (One Pair, Aces) (Pre 26%, Flop 51%, Turn 0%)
Hero wins 11,251.00

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sorry i thought i edited my post, i had elaborated a little more than that. Looks like you kind of know why calling off was pretty bad here.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
" I opened, planning on calling a SB shove. Expected BB to fold all but the tops (also thought he'd re-pop with that range as well based on what I've seen). When Sb shoved I smiled. When BB called (leaving himself t1100 behind lol) I was taken by surprise. "

This is pretty much perfect reasoning by the way. Except you were not suprised, you expected him to fold all but the top of his range, so we planned for it. We just have to follow through with our pre-flop plan in spots like this. So when we make plans, follow them through because your first instinct is usually the correct one.

vegasjj

vegasjj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So when we make plans, follow them through because your first instinct is usually the correct one.

This is so very true. But so often I also talk myself (as you said the greedy fish raises his head) into a bad decision - just to kick myself for it after - sometimes I do get lucky too - but does not really feel as good as when I made the right play.

The interesting question I think is - how many times do I (we) have to make "knowingly" the bad play before we learn to stay with the good decision?

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy fold. SB might have Ax or a smaller pair, but BB looks very much like a better pair. Plus strategically, if you fold, whichever one wins is still a positive result for you, vs. if you play, it's only a good result one time in three; i.e. when you win, and negative the other two times.

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
easily fold. on top of the fact that you can't hope for a more than 40% chance to win with pocket 8s and 2 callers...if the SB loses he is eliminated, and if the BB loses he is crippled, and will be out shortly. By folding you basically wrap up 2nd place, and are going almost-even-stacked headsup.
Of course, if you hit an 8 on the board and make a set, you knock them both out and win, but then chances that you don't and lose about half of your chips is probably higher