MP: 1,445 (48 bb)
MP+1 (Hero): 1,445 (48 bb)
LP: 1,445 (48 bb)
CO: 458 (15 bb)
BU: 1,457 (49 bb)
SB: 1,789 (60 bb)
BB: 2,583 (86 bb)

Pre-Flop: (81) Hero is MP+1 with Q Q
UTG calls 30, 2 players fold, Hero raises to 69, LP 3-bets to 180, 4 players fold, UTG calls 150, Hero calls 111

Flop: (621) 9 T 7 (3 players)
UTG checks, Hero checks, LP checks

Turn: (621) 9 (3 players)
UTG bets 621, Hero calls 621, LP folds

River: (1,863) 4 (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero?

Preflop
1. UTG has limped all 8 hands so far this game
2. My bet size was an error, not realising UTG had limped. I would normally have added 1bb to this bet as an ISO raise - possibly more had I realised the UTG limp was from a loose-passive player who would call 4.5bb as often as he would call 3.3bb
3. HJ is a TAG reg who doesn't 3bet very often
4. When HJ 3bets, I give him a range of 99+, AJ+.
5. When UTG calls the 3bet, I decide to call too with the pot odds I'm getting and likely being a small favourite even 3 way. I am willing to let the hand go if an A or K comes.
6. Against a lot of other players I would consider a 4bet here, but as I mentioned, HJ is pretty tight playing 17/17 with a 3bet fq of 4% over a few hundred hands.

Flop
1. Flop texture is probably one which means I have to pay more attention to UTG now than HJ now, as I think it hits UTG's range far harder. HJ could have spiked a set of 9's or T's though.
2. UTG checks, I check too. I could consider leading here, but if HJ shoves, I am hating life.
3. Once HJ checks behind, I am pretty confident he did not hit his set - more likely AK (as I block AQ). A hand like JJ with a spade might also consider checking behind, but probably not?

Turn
1. UTG leads for a pot sized bet
2. I feel pretty confident that HJ is going to fold regardless of what I do
3. I'm losing to TT, 77, J8 and all the 9x combos
4. I'm beating 66, 88, Tx combos, flush draws and any straight draws he might decide to bluff
5. I'm getting 2:1 pot odds so only need 33% equity which I believe I have vs UTG's wide range
6. I make the call, and HJ does indeed fold.

River
1. UTG checks.
2. Hero?

What are we thinking of doing here? Going for value or taking the showdown? Are we leaving too much value on the table by checking behind, or is it too thin, and are we forcing villain to play correctly by shoving our remaining 21bb?

Thanks for any input!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I think, its fine to not 4-bet QQ against someone, who is showing up on your HUD with a 4% 3-bet over a few houndred hands. Stack sizes are also a little awkward for 4-betting, since you either need to go so small, that you price them in to call with anything, or jam which gives you a bad risk-reward, and LP probably only call you with KK+ or sometimes AK.

Flop
Checking to the preflop 3-bettor is standard, and I dont see any reason to go for a donk bet here. Its a pretty narly board for an overpair, even though it should mostly connect with UTGs range.

Turn
Turn pair the board, and now UTG bets full pot. First of all I agree with you, that we dont need to worry about LP any more. If he had an overpair or a set, he would have bet the flop, so his hand is very face up as two overcards, that will just fold facing this full pot sized bet. Maybe he can have a hand like A9s once in a blue moon, but he have way more AK/AQ etc, that is going to fold.

The next thing to notice is, that UTG has bet more than half his remaining chips, and for that reason I would never call here. There are a ton of river cards, that are going to be very awkward for you. An A or K will put out an overcard, which he might have hit, if he is on a flushdraw, and any card from 6 to J as well as a spade is also bad for you. He is also not going to try to bluff you on the river with 550 chips left into a pot of 1.863, so if he is on a draw, he is going to play the river 100% perfect.

So for me this is decision time. Either you have enough equity against his range to simply go with your hand now, or you can fold and try to find a better spot later. Since he is playing essentially any two cards, he can obviously have all the trip 9`s in the world, and I do think, they would be played like this, because he is scared of the flush- and straightdraws on the board.

He could also have a flopped straight or once in a blue moon a full house. So there are a bunch of hands in his range, that have you crushed. But I also think, he could be on a draw, or that he could be overplaying top pair. And there more combinations of top pair than trips, because we see two 9`s but only one 10. So if this dude was a bit on the wild side, I would jam it in and be done. But if he was a more passive whale, I lean towards folding and try to get his chips later.

River
You hit pretty much the best possible river card other than a Q, and he check to you. I dont think, he ever bet full pot on the turn and then check the river to trap, so I feel very confident, you have the best hand, and as played I would jam now. He is not paying you with a busted draw, but he is for sure paying with top pair, and thats definitely in his range.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im not sure what the correct play on the river would be. You could have Ax flush draw and he would check to let you bluff. I would probably check because he might’ve just had a draw and is giving up. If he has a T, his pot size bet doesn’t make a lot of sense but possible.

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would 4 bet preflop and bet the flop and hope someone with a flush draw or a pair calls. Talking about the river as was played, I would bet but I don't think he would call either, so that's that. Most likely he wanted to steal de pot since all of you checked the flop, hence the turn bet.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For 50bb, get it all in preflop and don't worry about if you're being coolered or not - you can't change it anyways - would you feel better if you had KKs and they still showed up with AA? No, so it doesn't matter. Coolers are unavoidable and are what they are.

EDIT :: I am definitely ripping it in preflop after the 3b and then UTG calls in front of me - taking QQs to the flop multiway just loses us so much equity when we already have the winning hand a massive portion of the time. Just wanted to add this in

As played post, I am never folding, easy call down spot - if you are coolered, it is what it is, nothing you can do. Ehen they check river, im all in. Easy spot.. Move on.

L

leeroy818

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For 50bb, get it all in preflop and don't worry about if you're being coolered or not - you can't change it anyways - would you feel better if you had KKs and they still showed up with AA? No, so it doesn't matter. Coolers are unavoidable and are what they are.

EDIT :: I am definitely ripping it in preflop after the 3b and then UTG calls in front of me - taking QQs to the flop multiway just loses us so much equity when we already have the winning hand a massive portion of the time. Just wanted to add this in

As played post, I am never folding, easy call down spot - if you are coolered, it is what it is, nothing you can do. Ehen they check river, im all in. Easy spot.. Move on.

Thanks for feedback. Although it's only an easy spot if you're a experienced player and you know what you're doing ;)