$3.50 NLHE MTT: Flush against full house instant shove on the river

B

Bouta

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, here's the situation. 3.50$ 45ppl MTT.

I think all bets I made were ok BUT should I have predicted the villain having nuts flush or full house by the river instant shove? I think the call was mathematically correct but his behavior should have been discovered as a monster hand. I didn't have much info on the villain.

https://www.upswingpoker.com/replayer/924MhesI7

D

DaMooca

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you posted the wrong hand. The hand that appeared was :jd4::10d4: x :kh4::jh4:.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah the shared hand has no relation to your description and was by the way played fine :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Pretty standard to defend with JTs, even though it was a very large 3,5BB open raise.

Flop
Your donk bet is a little unconventional, but I dont hate it on a low board in a multiway pot. I would however to go a bit larger. You have J high, so your goal with this bet is to get them fold. And when you give them such a great price, they are more tempted to give you action, even with hands like A high, which you will lose to at showdown, unless you improve.

Turn
You made a flush and sized up. I like this size.

River
This is of course the interesting part, because after checking and calling on all previous streets, small blind wakes up and takes extremely aggressive action by donk shoving the river for the full size of the pot. This is kind of gross, because it reduce your hand to a bluff catcher. He should not be doing this for value with a worse hand than yours.

He is however also not representing a lot of hands. The only logical hand, that might take this line, is A4, which he can only have 6 combos of. If he can only have A4s, because he is disciplined enough to not call preflop with A4o, then its only one combo. In he had a boat or a flush on the turn, it would be weird for him to play it this way, but of course its not impossible.

So I do think, that in the long run you can make a profitable call with a flush. Maybe he have a hand like A8 or A5, that also improved on the river, and he overplays it. Or 32 for the wheel draw, that made a straight on the end. Or maybe just some completely random bluff. A big donk bet on the river is actually quite often a bluff in my experience, especially on a card like this, that did not really change anything. Its a donk move to do that, but there is a reason, why its called donk bet right? ;)

Results
So he did have the A4 and even the offsuit variety, which is kind of crazy, that he called preflop from the small blind. In a cash game I would certainly take a note of this, reload and look very much forward to continue to play with this kind of player, because its going to be very profitable.

Other than that the only thing, I would have done different, is on the flop. Either go for a check-raise or a bigger donk bet, since your goal is to get them to fold. This might actually have changed the outcome, since it would at least have been more difficult for him to continue with A4. He might still have done it, because he is a fish playing for 50c, but then at least you had done, what you could :)

D

DaMooca

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The way this hand was played, I can't call on the river.
Do you think he can do this with a worse hand ?? If so, what worse hand does he play?
After all the action on the previous streets, he bet 420 leaving only 616 behind. And his bet seems to be because he knows that you can just check on the river and would stop extracting more chips.
I don't know if I'm wrong thinking that, but I easily fold that hand.

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a nit, I have a few problems with this. You did not have the nut flush, but the fourth. There are 2 of a card on the board, which can lead to full houses or quads. Many people are willing to stick around to see what happens with pairs and sets. You did not have the hands to consider going all in with, for a nit. There are too many hands better, so probably better to tighten up a little just to be a little safer.

C

chakalaka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!

I like call preflop, it is very good hand to play postflop. OTF I don't understand the lead - I prefer x/c or x/r and bets on good turns for me. OTT with flush is easy game and good bet, good size. OTR is easy just call, shove here is a spazz.

Full Flush Poker