$3.50 NLHE MTT: 2 tables (9max): Strong? draw

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is the 5th hand of the tournament and the first time I've ever played any of the other players involved in this hand. I feel like I was too passive but I'm not sure what I should or could have done differently.
Pre-flop: I call in the BB because I've got good pot odds with my speculative hand. Why does the BTN make that min-reraise? I call the one extra BB for the same reason as before.
Flop: In-game I was thinking I've got a strong draw that I don't want to fold. But I don't want to raise into the two remaining players, in my experience fold-equity is low in the early stages of these stakes and I don't actually have a hand yet. So I call, thinking the implied odds justify it.
BTN raises 2x. I'm thinking BTN & SB are on similar ranges of strong made hands - high pairs, 2 pairs, sets.* So I'm getting the right price to draw to a straight or flush which I think will make me best. I still don't want to fold or raise this 4-way pot. So I call.
*Looking back now I think AdKd & AdQd could definitely be in their range so maybe my draw wasn't as strong as I thought it was.
Turn: The odds aren't as good and BTN seems to like his hand. I give up.
So how would you have played this? I kinda felt like all my options were wrong! And why do you think the BTN made that min-raise pre-flop?
Cheers!

pokerstars, $3.11 + $0.39 - Hold'em No Limit - 10/20 (3 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 746 (37 bb)
UTG+1: 1,444 (72 bb)
MP: 2,313 (116 bb)
MP+1: 1,284 (64 bb)
CO: 3,075 (154 bb)
BU: 1,324 (66 bb)
SB: 1,732 (87 bb)
BB (Hero): 1,582 (79 bb)

Pre-Flop: (54) Hero is BB with 4 6
UTG calls 20, 4 players fold, BTN calls 20, SB raises to 40, Hero calls 20, UTG calls 20, BTN 3-bets to 60, SB calls 20, Hero calls 20, UTG calls 20

Flop: (264) 7 8 9 (4 players)
SB bets 132, Hero calls 132, UTG calls 132, BTN raises to 264, SB calls 132, Hero calls 132, UTG folds

Turn: (1,188) A (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, BTN bets 997 (all-in), SB folds, BB (Hero) folds

Total pot: 1,188
BU wins 1,188

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Edit: All through playing and analysing this hand I seem to have ignored the made straights and straight draws - higher than mine - that are in SB & BTN's ranges at the flop. I think my hand just looked good at first sight at the flop and I got too attached to it and should have folded earlier and saved some chips.
Basically I wasn't ranging my opponents well enough.
I'd still like to hear any thoughts.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Lots of sillyness going on here with SB min-raising into limpers and BTN then clicking it back after initially limping. You ask, why he does this, and the answer is, because he has no idea, whats going on, and he is just clicking buttons. And so frankly is SB with that sizing. Nothing to do here other than call and immideatly put a "fish" tag on both these guys for future reference.

Flop
You flopped a 15 outs combodraw, but as you already realised, the quality of this draw is not very good. You are drawing to the arse end of the straight, someone could already have a better made straight, and with 4 players seeing the flop being overflushed is also a real concern. Even so folding would be to tight, but I dont want to raise here and end up stacking off against hands, that I am not doing particularly well against. BTN now comes in for another silly min-raise confirming the fact, he is an idiot fish, and nothing to do here other than put in the chips and see a turn.

Turn
BTN now jam, and I definitely agree with your fold. You are only getting a little better than 2:1, and you dont even know, how many outs you really have, so you are not priced in to make this call. God knows, what BTN had, but hopefully you will get another chance to get after him later.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off no playing 64s from EP - no limping, good players will punish you properly. You will be lighting chips on fire

Secondly, when you flop the world as you did, and face a raise on the flop - the pot is plentyarge enough for you to realize your equity and just get it all in here....calling and then folding on later streets is lighting more chips on fire and is just poor play at that point. If you aren't willing to go with a draw this strong - why did you play the hand to begin with? You have more equity than AA on this flop...

Stop lighting chips on fire! This is a bad hand and played even worse post flop. Take this words with a grain of salt, learn and grow. Quite a few ppl don't even post hands like this where they are actually wanting to learn, they post bad beat hands and ask if they could change anything about it.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Question
Why does the BTN make that min-reraise?
And why do you think the BTN made that min-raise pre-flop?

Answer
SB min-raising into limpers and BTN then clicking it back after initially limping.
because he has no idea, whats going on, and he is just clicking buttons. And so frankly is SB with that sizing. Nothing to do here other than call and immideatly put a "fish" tag on both these guys for future reference.

BTN now comes in for another silly min-raise confirming the fact, he is an idiot fish

Also - imo I'd play the same line Jon suggested - no reason to play this hand unless you are going with it on the flop with such a strong draw - even if you are drawing to the arse end, - they don't know that. :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Secondly, when you flop the world as you did, and face a raise on the flop - the pot is plentyarge enough for you to realize your equity and just get it all in here....

Looking at the hand again I agree with this. Calling the initial bet on the flop is fine, but when there is then an overcall behind us, a min-raise, and a call from the initial better, there is so much in the pot, that we should just back-jam and get it in. Nobody are showing that much strenght with this activity, and unless we are against specifically JT of diamonds, we always have at least some equity. So lets jump on the variance train and hope, its our lucky day.

E

ElmerS

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop

I agree with the call.

Post flop

The call behind is fine but once we get raised we have two options. Follow the line you took by just calling or the semi-bluf shove and I prefer the second one. You are favourite in three-way pot and just flipping in a heads up. And you have the possibility of pushing your opponent out of the hand.

Last edited: