$3.5 NLHE STT: Is this a good fold?

W

WalkOnTheWild

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
On a 6max SNG I was on the button and min-raised Q9o, BB calls and flopped top pair on Q5T rainbow, then c-bet he calls and turn's a J, he bets little less than half pot, I called (now rewatching the hand I think raising was better, to know if he did hit a straight or something, not sure) then river's another jack and he shoved. I thought he may had KJ (but it looked weird flating this hand preflop) and thats why called the flop, and then raised turn, to know where he was, and then shove river for value. The guy was pretty LAG and then told me he had nothing. I'd love to know how you would have played the hand and if folding was right. Anyway, if bluffing or not, the guy was pretty wild and optimistic by shoving the river.

https://www.boomplayer.com/27557122_B6C4432688

Shady Slim

Shady Slim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Discount what he said. If he truly had nothing, as he claimed, he probably would have shown you the cards and not mucked them. Probably playing mind games with you.

He bet a third of the pot on the turned Jack. I am thinking he was holding a Jack, but feared you had the Queen. When the Jack on the river came down, it was over. You probably made the right choice in this case.

How did you do in the rest of the tournament?

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I believe he did not had the nut straight because AK should 3bet you with that we could also cut the best of his range (AA,KK,QQ,AQ,JJ,AJ), so I think as you just say you should have rais him on the TURN i think it was the best way to know if he really had something, but when the river comes I believe you did the right call or better said fold hehehe... he could had something like 9J,TJ,89s,8J, with just this quick analysis that's the range I gave him... hehehe hope this helps yiu in the future always think in ranges , that's something I'm learning and it is really helpful in the tables GOOD LUCK!

W

WalkOnTheWild

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Discount what he said. If he truly had nothing, as he claimed, he probably would have shown you the cards and not mucked them. Probably playing mind games with you.

He bet a third of the pot on the turned Jack. I am thinking he was holding a Jack, but feared you had the Queen. When the Jack on the river came down, it was over. You probably made the right choice in this case.

How did you do in the rest of the tournament?
The guy was actually bluffing nonsense a LOT, later I caught him shoving like 10 high, so I think he meant what he said lol. Wasn't so lucky on heads-up tho and ended up 2nd.

Shady Slim

Shady Slim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The guy was actually bluffing nonsense a LOT, later I caught him shoving like 10 high, so I think he meant what he said lol. Wasn't so lucky on heads-up tho and ended up 2nd.

Ah, I see. Then he probably was just messing with your head. Put a sticky note on him, and call his butt next time. :D

Kingpoetmusic

Kingpoetmusic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My guess is he had A10 K10. I think it would have been a safe call but the 9 kicker was not so great. In my opinion the hand was played too aggressively for having just Q9. But I do have a feeling that the Q was good in the river here.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
to be honest a 3.50 tourney would be tempted to keep opponent honest he could easily jam cos he sensed weakness tough one though hard to tell.

Comdemn

Comdemn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On a 6max SNG I was on the button and min-raised Q9o, BB calls and flopped top pair on Q5T rainbow, then c-bet he calls and turn's a J, he bets little less than half pot, I called (now rewatching the hand I think raising was better, to know if he did hit a straight or something, not sure) then river's another jack and he shoved. I thought he may had KJ (but it looked weird flating this hand preflop) and thats why called the flop, and then raised turn, to know where he was, and then shove river for value. The guy was pretty LAG and then told me he had nothing. I'd love to know how you would have played the hand and if folding was right. Anyway, if bluffing or not, the guy was pretty wild and optimistic by shoving the river.

https://www.boomplayer.com/27557122_B6C4432688

I think you did everything right until the turn. When the jack came on the turn and the opponent bet 300 chips, you had to reraise 600-800 chips in order to knock out a possible bluff of the opponent. Otherwise, with an older pair and an average kicker, you risked saying goodbye to your chips. Given your opponent's pre-flop game, you can exclude such possible hands as 1010, AK, QQ, JJ and smaller pairs .. Such a hand as KJ is in the range of the villain, but then his check after opening the flop is not clear. I think that he had to bet, but did not check! This he gave his bluff (I think so). I think that in this particular hand you had to choose a more aggressive line of the game

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The only hand he could play like that is 55 because not many players would 3bet pre small pairs. And he may block bet the turn in order to read your hand. You block any 9x combinations. Very difficult spot I would fold trying to find a better spot : /

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
I think on the flop you could check your Q9 for pot controlling, but betting is also good, since villain doesn't have AQ,KQ in his range. Now on the turn I disagree. There is no reason to raise, villain will never call worse and if he is bluffing, so what? you have a great bluffcatcher. On the river it is easy call. Villains line doesn't make sense at all, and he has missed fd and you don't have heart and you block K9. Can't imagine a better bluffcatcher.

G

Grearix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you decide to raise preflop with a Q9o, and have the luck to hit your Q as top Pair you should have moved at least a pot bet on the flop in my opinion. Not sure he calls that with a straight draw (what I believe he had)

Folding in Poker