$3.40 NLHE STT Turbo: How to deal with donkbets...

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$3.40 NL HE STT Turbo: How to deal with donkbets...

Since i am playing mostly the micro's this is a situation that comes up often in the early game. There it's a little easier to deal with as we are usually deep, so it becomes an easy fold or sometimes raise depending on your read.

Late here, i really hated folded, but i'm not sure if shoving over here could be a good play. He's a bad player, no huge reads apart from that, just a normal standard donk. When he calls pre and donk bets out like this, i assume he is pretty weak. maybe a pair that likes the flop, or two random overcards, i doubt he has any 2's or 6'es in his range here, flush draw is a possibility too.

I really wanted to ship this over, but my nitty ways got the best of me, and i decided to fold. What do you guys think about this situation? And how do you try and counter donk betting in general? It's something that comes up a lot in micro's, would be good to get some discussion going on how to counter them.

I also did a quick stove analysis, and against his pecieved range we're flipping on this flop, but we probably have decent fold equity, but we also need to factor in ICM.

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.4 Tournament, 50/100 Blinds (7 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP1 (t4545)
MP2 (t1280)
CO (t1145)
Hero (Button) (t1605)
SB (t2430)
BB (t1515)
UTG (t2480)

Hero's M: 10.70

Preflop: Hero is Button with A
heart.gif
, K
club.gif

4 folds, Hero bets t250, SB calls t200, 1 fold

Flop: (t600) 2
club.gif
, 2
diamond.gif
, 6
diamond.gif
(2 players)
SB bets t200, Hero folds

Total pot: t600

Attachments

• $EV.JPG
    $EV.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 40
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now that i look at that range, i think i need to include some random SC hands like J9S and such. i'll run another stove a bit later, though.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't play turbos so this may not apply. Unless I have a read otherwise I assume this type of donk bet is a med PP looking to see if they are up against a big pair. So your choice here is to push or fold, stacks aren't deep enough to flat him and see what he does on the turn. Against midPP you are 75-25 dog and I haven't worked out how often you need villain to fold his midPP to make the shove profitable.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a spot I struggle with too.

My gut wants to shove it but I don't think we're ever getting an overpair to fold here. I figure they're a pretty big part of his range, plus we don't stand to win a game-changing amount if we shove and villain folds two random overs... so I probably mutter under my breath and then fold too. The risk:reward just doesn't add up for me.