$3.30 NLHE MTT Rebuy: Small PP, OOP vs four opponents

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

We are in the middle of a $3.30 3000gtd event. About 1.5 hours left until late registration closes.
Blinds are 300/600 Ante?
Starting stack is 10k chips
Our stack is 42k, 70bb and is slightly over average stack size (58bb).

Some non-relevant table dynamics up to this point.
I had a rush of cards when this event first started - I played and won the first seven hands with KK, A/K twice, TT, 88 flopping middle set, and finally hitting the nut straight with J/T suited. I had more than tripled up and was chip leader for no less than the first 30 minutes of this event. I was not splashing around more than I normally am, I just had an extreme rush of cards - and players didn't believe me.
I mention this only because four of the eight players on this table have been with me on this table since the beginning of the tournament.

Since then - I have played solid TAG - fold junk hands, and winning a couple small insignificant pots. I had dropped down quite a bit from the early lead. I ended up calling off one turn jam when I had top 2 pair and the nut straight draw, when my opponent had a flush draw, the flush hit, so that was my big losing hand up to this point.

UTG+1 min-opens 2bb. 55bb, This player has been playing nearly every hand. His numbers are 58/18/4 over 100 hands - and his overall stats are 47/13/3 over 350 hands. He is a loose passive fish, and I have been attempting to get in nearly every pot I can with him when I have position.
I gave up some chips to this player earlier when he continued in the big blind vs. 3 opponents with T/5 suited. I had flopped top 2 pair, he turned bottom 2 pair - and he rivered a boat.

HJ calls 2bb (43bb)
CO calls 2bb (85bb)
Btn calls 2bb (38bb)
And me in the big blind decides to make this easy call getting an excellent price with 33. No need to 3bet and put myself in a crappy spot with a weak pair.

Flop K 8 3 rainbow.

I check looking to check raise. To my surprise - everyone else checks as well.
Turn is Q now board has 2 diamonds.

I choose to lead now - since we missed value on the flop.

Pot is 12bb and I lead out from the bb with a reasonable bet of 4.55 bb. Slightly over 1/3rd pot.
Everyone folds. WTF!!!

Question 1. Is leading this flop vs 4 opponents smart/profitable?
The consideration for leading - how often will a King high flop check through 5 players?
The consideration for leading - we can lead expecting to be check-raised - so then we can either call - or re-raise and get fat stacks in early.

Oddly - the initial opener is a loose passive player, I saw him call down often with 2nd/3rd pair junk kicker, so the only thing I can put him on here was A/x with no diamond.
But 3 other opponents did not get any piece of this what so ever? So weird.

Question 2. I will often check-raise in this spot on the flop - and lose my opponents. I know I'm not check-raising overly large, I make it enticing for my opponents to see a turn. Is it a more profitable line to check call, then check-raise the turn? I guess this largely depends on stack sizes, number of opponents, opponent type, specific time of the tourney when we are in this situation, and of course the wet/dryness of the flop.

Question 3. Is my bet sizing bad? I seem to be all over the map when it comes to bet sizing. A lot of times I'm hoping for calls from opponents - or versus one opponent - so I will bet slightly under half pot or half pot, unless I know I'm up against a sticky player who can't fold a paired Ace. I will bet larger in these situations.
Regarding this particular spot - should I size up my donk cbet to price out flush draws, or should I make a standard bet half pot or so, to keep the draws in?
I'm always guessing here - sure if the board is super wet - we want to size up. If the board is a total dry board we want to size down to build a pot for larger bets on later streets. The alternative is also valid, bet smaller on wet boards - so we can get away cheaper if the board gets nasty. But looking at the board here - there are a lot of draws that could continue, A/T, A/J, T/9, any two diamonds, any two pair. Just so weird 4 players didn't even make a modest call on the turn.

Question 3a. What is the optimal bet size vs 4 opponents on this turn card - which should have made a lot of draws a little more enticed to see a river?

All input welcome.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
q1 RAise!
q2 its better to check raise the turn rather than check-call in MOST spots.
The river card gives him an excuse to pay extra
and if he is on a semi draw
this turn check raise is how we capitalize and get value now
rather than hoping he bets the river (disguised IF he did hit on the river) he's gonna get payed off
and vice versa its hard to reraise him and get payed on the river.

The beauty of the turn check raise is this.
Information
If they were bluffing you they fold
If they have you beat, your'e gonna know it when they reraise you
If they have a decent marginal they get stuck calling the turn check raise and then call half that river pot too!

QUESTION #3(cuz i wanna see you destroy the world)
your bet sizing needs to be DYNAMIC
what is the proper sizing when there is little to no available information?
every situation is different sometimes we want value
other times we have none
either way ,we are looking for EV+ and to win the hand optimally

To do that we must have great and confident reads on the strength of our opponents
Then we can "properly"pick sizing

What is the proper sizing when you have nothing and neither does your opponent?
What is the proper sizing for making villian holding ace high fold the flop
bottom pair?
What sizings make them call with ace high or bottom pair
What sizings do they use with ace high or bottom pair!?
What sizings do they deem bluffy

you know all that crud ANMATOR (but if your'e wondering I think anything under half pot allows to many draws and ace highs to continue, subsequently VILLIAN calling small bets give almost no INFORMATION

ttyl anmator back to my game
56cfcc2021ad1ff6d7b3423acd691847.png

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Very standard defend from BB getting a great price and multible sources of implied odds, if you can flop a set. Definitely no reason to consider any other action than call.

Flop
I dont see any tremendous reason to go for a donk bet here. There are 4 people left to act after you, and if any of them hit the flop, then are going to bet for you. Its also a board completely without draws, and for that reason I might actually slowplay bottom set by just check-calling and then look to check-raise the turn.

If someone has a K, they are likely going to bet both flop and turn, and with a board this dry you actually want some draws to develop, because then you can both represent those draws and get paid by them, if your opponents pick them up. The issue with check-raising a flop like this, is that its so difficult to find bluffs, so you are kind of announcing, that you either flopped a set or maybe two pair.

Turn
I would also lead out, and when nobody bet the flop, they are probably all weak, so we cant go to large. Maybe I would go a bit larger than 1/3 pot, but if they wont even pay that, they obviously also wont pay anything larger.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think anything under half pot allows to many draws and ace highs to continue, subsequently VILLIAN calling small bets give almost no INFORMATION

ttyl anmator back to my game

Thanks for your suggestions AKQ - I think I've been allowing my opponents to stick around without charging them enough to make decisions difficult. It's a balance right? Sometimes we want to milk the tight players when we have them by the sack, bet too big - they insta muck, other times we need to charge extra to make it uncomfortable for our opponents to see extra cards.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
phill hellmuths special talent lies in his ability to know where he is in a hand
He gets this information by betting
Information is POWER
7b9ce19d1ffe645037330104e7f669dd.png