$3.30 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: 3-way flop as flat caller IP, should I try to steal?

tewwa94

tewwa94

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think calling is fine with this hand, UTG range, assuming a standard range since is early in the tournament should be some higher suited aces and suited broadways, 77+ and AQo or AJo. BB can have anything, I have a backdoor flushdraw and some backdoor straight draws as well but that's it. Some broadway kings are for sure in my flatting range as well as some medium pocket pairs, suited broadways, suited Aces and even some suited connectors here and there, at the beginning of the tournament it doesn't feel like I need this pot that much if I miss like I did, so maybe the bet was unnecesary?

PokerStars - 15/30 Ante 4 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: 4,988
MP+1: 5,545
MP+2: 4,808
Hero (CO): 5,000
BTN: 4,943
SB: 4,793
BB: 4,988
UTG: 5,305
UTG+1: 4,913

9 players post ante of 4, SB posts SB 15, BB posts BB 30

Pre Flop: (pot: 81) Hero has J:heart: T:heart:

UTG raises to 60, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 60, fold, fold, BB calls 30

Flop: (231, 3 players) 4:heart: 5:diamond: K:club:
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets 69, BB raises to 198, fold, fold

BB wins 369

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
It is only a min-raise, so if everyone behind you fold, you are getting pretty good pot odds, and even if BB call, there is still some dead chips from the ante and the small blind. You also have position postflop. So I am ok with this call, and you could also throw in a light 3-bet from time to time. I would look at the players on my left though, and if any of them are loose and aggressive, then I dont like calling, because then I expect to get squeezed a lot.

Flop
You did flop a little something with backdoors, and you have no showdown value, so when the preflop aggressor miss his C-bet, I think, its fine to take a stab. I dont like your sizing though. You bet less than 30% pot, and I dont think, you are getting many folds using that sizing. Stacks are extremely deep here, so they can easily afford to call and see a turn with speculative hands.

These very small sizes are for later in the tournament, when stacks are short, and you want to avoid big pots for ICM reasons. The other issue with your sizing is, that because it looks so weak, it might induce BB to check-raise you as a bluff. And you dont want that to happen, because you dont even beat some of his bluffs, so you obviously can not continue.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
suited connectors good for playing in multiway pots on late positions. calling here is ok if players after us is passive.
as played check/fold

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I agree in the large part with guys. I prefer suited connector hands only from the button position, becuase in this situation player from the button can sometimes call with something because of position. If we have position jts is good to play, if not, for me it isn't too good. I don't expect too much squuezes from players behind us, because everybody at the table has to respect raise from utg position that usually has tight range. It is good read, usually nobody will 3bet loose, player from utg position. As played - I check the flop and I take the free card on the turn, because we have some equity to backdoor flush. Your bet on the turn isn't good decision, because player from the big blind can sometimes raise you, then we have to give up hand and we lose some chips. We shouldn't lose chips like in this situation. GL :)

Last edited: