$3.30 NLHE MTT: $$3.30 NLHE MTT: $$3.30 NLHE MTT: Interested in opinions?

drdunks

drdunks

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everybody, I'll just apologize for not using hand converter as it doesn't appear to be working for me.
Just wondered what anyone's take on this hand is?
Jodler Pepi had been playing pretty aggressive and loose up until this point. He hadn't long joined the table with around $6000 and had quickly aquired a stack, which seemed to lead to him playing more loosely, the limp PF seemed a bit out of character for him at the time given how he had been playing but he had just come into a lot of chips. Aside from that there wasn't much of a read to go off. PF I believe pairs 22-99 are possible in his range (weighted towards the lower end), suited connectors, suited 2 gappers from around 5-7 and suited broadway cards excluding AK and AQ (he would raise with these). I think AA and KK are a possibility also but I'm discounting TT-QQ as definite raises.

pokerstars Hand #97099871923: Tournament #714719504, $3.00+$0.30 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level VIII (100/200) - 2013/04/13 15:12:19 WET [2013/04/13 10:12:19 ET]
Table '714719504 498' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: jodler pepi (27268 in chips)
Seat 2: ciako170391 (1680 in chips)
Seat 3: krendel1991 (5940 in chips)
Seat 4: Marcius155 (2470 in chips)
Seat 5: geldda (7411 in chips)
Seat 6: Vitalij12088 (330 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 7: sinnerluis (3477 in chips)
Seat 8: drdunks (7565 in chips)
Seat 9: kostasgate4 (13326 in chips)
jodler pepi: posts the ante 20
ciako170391: posts the ante 20
krendel1991: posts the ante 20
Marcius155: posts the ante 20
geldda: posts the ante 20
Vitalij12088: posts the ante 20
sinnerluis: posts the ante 20
drdunks: posts the ante 20
kostasgate4: posts the ante 20
sinnerluis: posts small blind 100
drdunks: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to drdunks [Jc Js]
kostasgate4: folds
jodler pepi: calls 200
ciako170391: folds
krendel1991: folds
Marcius155: folds
geldda: folds
Vitalij12088: folds
sinnerluis: folds
drdunks: raises 800 to 1000
jodler pepi: calls 800
*** FLOP *** [9s Td 2s]
drdunks: bets 2200
jodler pepi: calls 2200
*** TURN *** [9s Td 2s] <font color='red'>J<font face="arial">♦</font></font>
drdunks: checks
jodler pepi: bets 2200
drdunks: raises 2145 to 4345 and is all-in
jodler pepi: calls 2145
*** RIVER *** [9s Td 2s Jd] 8♠
*** SHOW DOWN ***
drdunks: shows [Jc Js] (three of a kind, Jacks)
jodler pepi: shows [7h 9h] (a straight, Seven to Jack)
jodler pepi collected 15370 from pot
drdunks finished the tournament in 4204th place
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 15370 | Rake 0
Board [9s Td 2s Jd 8s]
Seat 1: jodler pepi showed [7h 9h] and won (15370) with a straight, Seven to Jack
Seat 2: ciako170391 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: krendel1991 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: Marcius155 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: geldda folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Vitalij12088 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: sinnerluis (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: drdunks (big blind) showed [Jc Js] and lost with three of a kind, Jacks
Seat 9: kostasgate4 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

ovitoo

ovitoo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
3b pre is too big. Pot otf is too big. x/r on the turn is bad, just continue your betting.

Also you shouldn't include results when you're looking for analysis so you don't get biased comments.

Last edited:
drdunks

drdunks

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, I read don't put results at the front of the post which I didn't? You mean don't include the summary? Thanks for the reply

drdunks

drdunks

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
also when u say 3b? It was a 2 bet no? Raise to a limper, limp being a call, my raise being the first raise therefore 2nd bet = 2 bet. I also don't see a problem with the preflop play IMO, the flop bet was 2 big, but I did so as the board is quite wet I thought I'd bet bigger to discourage draws where they would have to push or fold (and I'm happy to get my stack in on that flop). In reflection I maybe committed myself to hand to soon (purposely) with the pot sized bet. The check raise on the turn is wrong as I am already commited, but the J was the worst card for me there as it connects with his range very well after his call on the flop. Hence the check. The raise being me committed and having a redraw if he had hit his straight...
That's my exact thought process through the hand...

So do u reckon I should have bet half the pot on the flop and check/folded the turn when the J came?

ovitoo

ovitoo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You could end it once the last action is made from you ("drdunks: raises 2145 to 4345 and is all-in")

You're correct. It's a raise and not a 3b since he limped.

You don't want to pot otf cause you're losing value from a lot of hands that you don't want folding. You don't want to discourage draws. And I'm not sure how you figure the J is "the worst card" unless you're focusing on the fact he had 97. Potting otf certainly got KQ out of the hand.

The line I'd have taken is 1/2 pot otf, 3/4 pot ott, and probly a sigh x/f otr (depending on how much I had behind)

drdunks

drdunks

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just think folding wouldn't be an option when the 8 hits? When he calls my flop bet im putting him on definate combo draws, as I have the Js the jack could easily fill and open ended straight if hes got 7s8s so thats where I dont like the J from the off. a 6 or any spade I would'nt like but Its harder to get away on the turn with the J even if he has a straight because I have the redraw to a FH...

If he had 9 7, which he did, im quite happy to get it in against his 4 outer there on the turn and im quite happy for the J to come on the turn as it means he only has a gutter. The problem with the jack was it hit his range perfect for his call on flop and gave me a lot of problems. At this point I had over committed myself because of the pot sized bet on the flop so I resigned to check/shove the turn, so I think the pot sized bet otf was a definite mistake as like you say I'm losing value but against this opponent who was playing increasing aggressive probably not the worst. I think the worst thing about the pot sized bet was that it committed me from then.

I would have had around 5400 left if I had half pot it otf....pot would have been 4400....a 3/4 raise there would be 3300 leaving me 2100 left on the river and a pot (if he called the turn) of 11000 so if thats the line I'd have taken, with 2100 left if he puts you all in do u call or fold with 8 9 T J on the board?

I'd say automatic shove on the turn as your already committed?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
3b pre is too big. Pot otf is too big. x/r on the turn is bad, just continue your betting.

vs. a player he's been watching... & who seems willing to limp/call a 5x raise for 15% of his stack with 97o (I think raise size is fine).

ovitoo

ovitoo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
vs. a player he's been watching... & who seems willing to limp/call a 5x raise for 15% of his stack with 97o (I think raise size is fine).

Agreed the 5x pre isn't too bad. Just speaking from personal preference I guess. I rarely, if ever, find a villain where that bet sizing is optimal (imo of course)

edit: Also when he ranges villain 22-99, KK+, suited connectors, suited gaps and JT+; I think that hardly constitutes as "watching villain" and doesn't give any reason to play the hand unconventionally.

Last edited:
ovitoo

ovitoo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I just think folding wouldn't be an option when the 8 hits? When he calls my flop bet im putting him on definate combo draws, as I have the Js the jack could easily fill and open ended straight if hes got 7s8s so thats where I dont like the J from the off. a 6 or any spade I would'nt like but Its harder to get away on the turn with the J even if he has a straight because I have the redraw to a FH...

If he had 9 7, which he did, im quite happy to get it in against his 4 outer there on the turn and im quite happy for the J to come on the turn as it means he only has a gutter. The problem with the jack was it hit his range perfect for his call on flop and gave me a lot of problems. At this point I had over committed myself because of the pot sized bet on the flop so I resigned to check/shove the turn, so I think the pot sized bet otf was a definite mistake as like you say I'm losing value but against this opponent who was playing increasing aggressive probably not the worst. I think the worst thing about the pot sized bet was that it committed me from then.

I would have had around 5400 left if I had half pot it otf....pot would have been 4400....a 3/4 raise there would be 3300 leaving me 2100 left on the river and a pot (if he called the turn) of 11000 so if thats the line I'd have taken, with 2100 left if he puts you all in do u call or fold with 8 9 T J on the board?

I'd say automatic shove on the turn as your already committed?

Obviously not folding w/ 2100 behind. Im still not over-shoving ott. You should really leave out the "if he had 97" part since there is no reason to put that in his range when you're 5x raising pre. If thats what he has then just accept the cooler imo.

drdunks

drdunks

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, just stating that as you said Jack is only the worst card for me unless I'm "focusing on the fact he had 9 7" which, if I knew he had 9 7 ((I never put him on 97 lol ;) cause as you said I drop it from his range after he call a pot sized bet)) then my comment made no sense that a J was a bad card as its a BRILLIANT card if he has 9 7. I accepted the cooler dude, I'm not crying about that or I'd of put it in bad beats.

I personally feel that, like you said, I should of continued betting ott. In order to do that I feel whether or not I bet half pot or pot otf I am still committed when it comes to the turn as any action on the turn will bloat the pot in relation to my stack. I agree check/raise was a mistake but I think a shove ott would of been the best option there, putting my whole stack in the middle with the redraw after the J drops so if he is ahead I still have the redraw.

I also don't see that OPP ever folding KsQs on the flop to my bet....

The check/raise ott was 100% wrong though, I agree 100% there....

I don't see how I'm really over shoving their as it gives me fold equity against OOP to shove and given the state of the board ending the hand ott doesn't seem a bad option....

Then again I probably do over protect my hand in tournaments lol ;)

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
um, played fine. NH.

Agree, also you are sitting OOP vs someone who obvious calling way too much preflop. So like the somewhat bigger raise preflop. WP.