$3.3 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: $ : How would you have played/bet this hand?

PokerJudas

PokerJudas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I`d like to know if people think this should have been played differently? It was early on in the tournament and I had a little more than 100 BBs.

PokerStars - $3+$0.30|15/30 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

LP: 6,531.00
CO: 2,910.00
Hero (BTN): 3,221.00
SB: 3,430.00
BB: 2,970.00
UTG: 2,620.00
UTG+1: 3,000.00
MP: 3,070.00
MP+1: 8,985.00

SB posts SB 15.00, BB posts BB 30.00

Pre Flop: (45.00) Hero has J Q

UTG raises to 60.00, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 60.00, SB calls 45.00, fold

Flop: (210.00, 3 players) 4 Q 8
SB checks, UTG bets 60.00, Hero calls 60.00, SB calls 60.00

Turn: (390.00, 3 players) 9
SB checks, UTG bets 180.00, Hero calls 180.00, fold

River: (750.00, 2 players) Q
UTG bets 300.00....

what to do?

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ask yourself what range of hands that you beat will call if you raise. Then call.

Ducky7

Ducky7

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ask yourself what range of hands that you beat will call if you raise. Then call.

This is true a bunch of the time, but at a lower stake tourney, they are probably not folding overpairs to a raise. Maybe even Jacks they will call a raise with,

any info on the villain OP?
- If he's a fish i think you can raise, i probably wouldn't though and would probably fold pre?
- If he's a tight player/reg then i guess its a call even though it feels super nitty.

PokerJudas

PokerJudas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, I had no particular info on this player as he/she was recently seated on my table...

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just folding pre. I don't really see any merit to calling.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, really not an answer to my question... You are facing a riverbet, what do you do?
Your question was would you have played this hand differently, my answer was yes, fold pre.

Please though, elaborate on how I haven't really answered your question...

River should really be irrelevant since I fold pre but I just call.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Easy, fold preflop. It's to early to risk chips on this hand.
1 no info on the player, we don't know if hes Tag or Lag.

PokerJudas

PokerJudas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your question was would you have played this hand differently, my answer was yes, fold pre.

Please though, elaborate on how I haven't really answered your question...

River should really be irrelevant since I fold pre but I just call.

Ok, I thank you for letting the world know you would fold preflop. However, if you read the post again, you will see...you are facing a river-bet and I ask "what to do?" Im not asking what you would do if aunt Annie comes in serving you some tea. Neither if your cat, Sofie, has gone into labour.

4thandinches

4thandinches

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't fault you for making the loose call pre-flop, even though you were in fairly early position. But I would've folded on the turn since he never slowed down and fired 3 bullets. But since you called to the river and caught a set, I would have called his river bet.

PokerJudas

PokerJudas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't fault you for making the loose call pre-flop, even though you were in fairly early position. But I would've folded on the turn since he never slowed down and fired 3 bullets. But since you called to the river and caught a set, I would have called his river bet.

Cheers for your feedback :)

I agree, a call would have been the right thing to do and I would minimize my loss with potcontrol. However, I was "outplayed" by the relatively weak bet on the river. I didn`t feel it was a value-bet just a very soft bet compared to the pot and I got greedy. The outcome is a secret, but I didn`t go all-in :cool:

ps. I was on the button, so I was defo in position :)

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
why are you being so rude to someone who is telling you you played a street wrong?

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I`d like to know if people think this should have been played differently? It was early on in the tournament and I had a little more than 100 BBs.

PokerStars - $3+$0.30|15/30 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

LP: 6,531.00
CO: 2,910.00
Hero (BTN): 3,221.00
SB: 3,430.00
BB: 2,970.00
UTG: 2,620.00
UTG+1: 3,000.00
MP: 3,070.00
MP+1: 8,985.00

SB posts SB 15.00, BB posts BB 30.00

Pre Flop: (45.00) Hero has J Q (fold pre)

UTG raises to 60.00, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 60.00, SB calls 45.00, fold

Flop: (210.00, 3 players) 4 Q 8
SB checks, UTG bets 60.00, Hero calls 60.00,(raise to180) SB calls 60.00

Turn: (390.00, 3 players) 9
SB checks, UTG bets 180.00, Hero calls 180.00, fold

River: (750.00, 2 players) Q
UTG bets 300.00....(put villain all-in)

what to do?
How would have I played it? Look to red.

PokerJudas

PokerJudas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why are you being so rude to someone who is telling you you played a street wrong?

There are no absolutes in poker, and I believe that is one of the reasons this forum excist. Im simply pointing out what my question was and he asked me to elaborate why I thought his answer wasn`t relevant. Point is, I have a set with a decent kicker on the river and someone bets into me. What to do?

PokerJudas

PokerJudas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How would have I played it? Look to red.

Cool, I see your point.. I could have re-raised and at least get some information instead of my "passive calls" The problem with these paired boards is "the invisible set" lurking... If I did like you suggested, but instead of going all-in and just called the river-bet, I would have lost less chips than I did in the end.

Thanks for ur input! :)

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you don't have a set, you have trips.

if you'd folded pre, you wouldn't be in this situation anyway so what you do on the river would be irrelevant and in the long run you'll save more chips regardless of what you do on the river of any hand

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a set with a decent kicker on the river and someone bets into me. What to do?

Look back at your hand again you don't have a set, you have trips...As played on river, with no info on the player I call...Preflop I don't really mind the call myself TBH (You really don't have to call it), on flop I like the call, on turn again I don't really mind the call (But what do you do if river doesn't make trips), that's the real question in the hand? On river I don't really like to shove, because really what do you beat besides a bluff+pair+weaker Queen?So to be safe I'd call and gain info for the next time you happen to be in a hand with this player

PokerJudas

PokerJudas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you don't have a set, you have trips.

if you'd folded pre, you wouldn't be in this situation anyway so what you do on the river would be irrelevant and in the long run you'll save more chips regardless of what you do on the river of any hand

True, I have trips... As for the fold pre, that`s a topic for another thread!

PokerJudas

PokerJudas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look back at your hand again you don't have a set, you have trips...As played on river, with no info on the player I call...Preflop I don't really mind the call myself TBH (You really don't have to call it), on flop I like the call, on turn again I don't really mind the call (But what do you do if river doesn't make trips), that's the real question in the hand? On river I don't really like to shove, because really what do you beat besides a bluff+pair+weaker Queen?So to be safe I'd call and gain info for the next time you happen to be in a hand with this player

You are right! I guess I called the turn/riverfor pot-control, and if I had stuck to it I could just have called the river-bet. Big lesson learned. This was early in the tournament so I am deep-stacked and I like to see more flops with reasonable hands in position. If I wouldn`t have made trips, I would probably fold the river.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just to let you know, expect people to comment on all aspects of the hand. Also, ignoring the fact you made a bad call preflop isn't going to help your game at all. Listen to the advice people are giving you ;)

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very definitely fold pre, calling flop is fine, calling turn is fine (although i fold if we dont pick up gutterball) probably calling river and hoping he has AKcc or AA KK. but in reality our hand sucks v an UTG opening range.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just to let you know, expect people to comment on all aspects of the hand. Also, ignoring the fact you made a bad call preflop isn't going to help your game at all. Listen to the advice people are giving you ;)
^ this ^

Either the OP knows he didn't play this hand well starting from his call on the flop, or he doesn't.

If he doesn't, then he needs the feedback about the earlier streets, so I don't see why it's a problem.

If he does, then he's basically asking what to do in a situation he already knows he shouldn't be in. So I don't see why it's a problem when other people confirm it.

Fwiw, while I did answer the stated question, I'd usually fold pre- too.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are no absolutes in poker, and I believe that is one of the reasons this forum excist. Im simply pointing out what my question was and he asked me to elaborate why I thought his answer wasn`t relevant. Point is, I have a set with a decent kicker on the river and someone bets into me. What to do?
There quite clearly are. In a HU game 25bb deep somebody jams first hand and I have 32o. It's a fold and it's an absolutele. To say there are no absolutes is stupid. There are millions of absolutes in poker.

Your question quite clearly states do people think I should've played this differently. Given we do not know what you did on the river you can only conclude your asking about the 3 decisions you have already made, which is what I answered. You then have another seperate question about the river, which is irrelevant since you are in a spot you should not be in.
If you just say ok maybe I should've folded pre, what do I do as played then you won't come across as poorly as you are doing. Saying I haven't answered your question when I clearly have is just lol.

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, really not an answer to my question... You are facing a riverbet, what do you do?

You asked how would you have played/bet this hand ... the best answer is "I wouldn't". Fold pre

Most hard decisions can be avoided by making better decisions on earlier streets. This is one of those cases.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands