$3.3 NLHE MTT Bounty Turbo: Facing overbet jam with low end of straight

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This one is mostly for LOLs. Some people claim, online poker is dead. Its full of bots and GTO wizards and so on and so forth. However if we are taking about games like the 3,3$ turbo PKOs on pokerstars, then nothing could be further from the truth. And this is supposedly the toughest site of them all. Yeah right. For me all the decisions in this hand are fairly standard, but feel free to comment, if you would have done anything different :)

CardsChat Poker Hands Converter

demesquita

demesquita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The villain call on your re-raise pre-flop was wild. The check-check on both flop and turn, was standard, after all none of those were great for you, and the call river seemed the correct with the straight, since the only hand calling some raise of yours here would be the absolute nuts K9, which is very unlikely due to the action preflop.
The surprise was seen his hand in the end. Woof.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I play this hand a little differently. For me with pocket call pre flop is a standard. 3bet pre flop is more risky move. Check on the flop is a standard, because opponent can have some Qx and some Jx hands. Check on the turn usually means that opponent doesn't have Qx, becuase with top pair he should bet for value. He can have still jx that he can check to control the pot and besiedes he is OOP, so better for him played check OOP. The river card - You shouldn't be to happy, because opponent made good bluff on the river. This bluff had a sense. The river card helped you a lot and you hit the straight, so this time you won this hand. GL :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I play this hand a little differently. For me with pocket call pre flop is a standard. 3bet pre flop is more risky move.

Its certainly fine to just call on BTN, but I think, 99 is so far ahead of a CO open range, that I personally prefer a 3-bet. Flatting allow the players in the blinds to come into the hand, and I am not particularly thrilled about either getting squeezed or having to take 99 multiway. But as long as you dont fold, I am happy :)

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This one is mostly for LOLs. Some people claim, online poker is dead. Its full of bots and GTO wizards and so on and so forth. However if we are taking about games like the 3,3$ turbo PKOs on PokerStars, then nothing could be further from the truth. And this is supposedly the toughest site of them all. Yeah right. For me all the decisions in this hand are fairly standard, but feel free to comment, if you would have done anything different :)

CardsChat Poker Hands Converter

How hard was it for you to make that call on the river? Were you concerned he might have A K since he raised preflop and then called your 3 bet? I would have made the call as you did obviously, I couldn't get away from that, but sometimes it bit me hard.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How hard was it for you to make that call on the river? Were you concerned he might have A K since he raised preflop and then called your 3 bet? I would have made the call as you did obviously, I couldn't get away from that, but sometimes it bit me hard.

I was not particularly concerned about a higher straight (AK or K9), because he checked the turn, after I checked back flop. And I think, a turned straight would almost certainly want to bet for value. Checking the turn with the nuts as a slowplay and then overbet jamming river would be a pretty weird line. I also blocked K9, and there is a decent chance, AK would have 4-bet jammed preflop. So I thought, this was going to be a chopped pot a decent amount of the time and maybe sometimes a wild bluff :)

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are perfectly right. The fact that he didn't 4bet jam preflop I think is the biggest indicator he didn't have A K. The check on the turn though, it happened to me as an attempt to trap me since he had the nuts and was in position, might as well set it up. Also the jam on the river could be made to look like a bluff to make you call with top pair or 2 pairs, and then realise it was not a bluff, but a straight. But this happens rarely, it does happen but not as much.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are perfectly right. The fact that he didn't 4bet jam preflop I think is the biggest indicator he didn't have A K. The check on the turn though, it happened to me as an attempt to trap me since he had the nuts and was in position, might as well set it up. Also the jam on the river could be made to look like a bluff to make you call with top pair or 2 pairs, and then realise it was not a bluff, but a straight. But this happens rarely, it does happen but not as much.

Yeah I agree. Of course we can never say, that its impossible for our opponent to show up with a specific hand. So yes once in a while we will get shown AK or K9 here, and we will have huge egg all over our face. But hand reading is about trying to estimate, how much equity we have against their entire range and not only the top of it.

In this situation we can surely discount AK quite a bit based on the previous streets, and K9o is a really loose call of a 3-bet, so thats also strongly discounted. Its pretty futile trying to put a player like this on an exact range. But if we plug this hand into Equilap and give him AKs and K9s as the hands, that beat us, and 98s-A9s, A9o as the chops, then we only need him to have 4 random combos of bluffs, before this becomes a call. And if he can show up with 83s, its not to difficult to find those combos.

The other thing, which is important to consider here, is the fact, that we checked back twice. Do we ever do that with AK or K9s? Probably not. And then we are folding 100% of our range, if we fold 9X to a river jam. Thats obviously extremely exploitable and not something we want to be doing, unless we are really sure, a particular opponent would NEVER bluff. And realistically we almost never have that read :)