$3.3 NL HE MTT: Are Tens strong enough to follow opp all the way to showdown?

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Game Options
  1. Turbo
Currency
$
Hi :)

Hot 3.3$, I have 24bbs and having 10-10 on dealer.

We flopped a possible flush in another colour but all of the cards were lower than mine pocket combination. So we both checked, and after that opponent started to targetting my combination.
- My first question is what type of hand we could imagine from villain when he raised the turn 66% (2/3) of the pot?
- Second is that now we get a 43% continuation bet which look very small, but the board is paired so do we have to call this confident with the Tens?
- And lastly was it rather unlucky, or opponent did a fine job on this, or did I made a mistake on some point?

Thanks, GL 😎

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open.

Flop
You can go both ways here. On one side its fine to do some pot control on such a wet board, since the strenght of an overpair is lower than on a dry board. But on the other side there are protection benefits to betting, especially with a pair as low as TT, which can see many overcards later.

Turn
As played easy call.

River
This was a good card for you. Its unlikely, he lead the turn with just bottom pair, so the 3 rarely improved him, and it actually improved you against his 87, 86 and 76 giving you a better two pair. So yes this is a call, and its not a close decision. The whole reason for checking back flop is to be able to get to showdown without bloating the pot to much

Results
Just a bit unlucky to run into the top of his range, and you definitely lost the minimum.

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Jani, that seems like your opponent had a lucky hand there!
I really dont know which kind of player he was, so your move there will depend of the info you have about him.
I think being in position and open raise from button with a pair like TT, I must to try to defend my hand preflop , then the opponent could´t see the flop cheaply and catch his hand like he did. He only had to pay 1bb to see the flop, too cheaply for him.
Because of that I like to defend pf x3+ in that situation, taking in account its a micro game, and some players are recreationals, calling station, so your move will depend about the info you have of your opponent.
Preflop: I think you must to defend your hand preflop and define the hand there. Because If you OR x2 pf preflop IP , seems like a move looking for action, and TT are not the nuts any J, Q, K, A in flop could win to you. TT is a good medium pair to defend preflop.
Flop: I think the opponent made check on the flop, to be sure you had not a flush, so check like you.
Turn: after your check on flop and with a wet board on turn ( straight-draw and flush-draw) he bet strong, defending his two pairs, and you called, hoping catch your possible straight on river (or just win with one over pair?).
River: nothing to do, he got the full house and he bet for value 43% pot size, amount that you were willing to pay.
You had not luck there Jani, but I would defend preflop that hand. It´s just my read. :)

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
obviously, the opponent, due to the fact that he has everything in order with the bank, he has a lot of chips, wanted to deliver and watch the flop, delivering 1.5 bb to the bank, I have a question, what is the reason for the raise size of 1645 chips, if bb is 700 chips, this is not a standard 3 bet or 4 bet,some strange size of 1645...

in general, you were unlucky of course, but I wouldn't say that the opponent played like a fish or something like that

RidaPKR

RidaPKR

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
MA
Chips
Hi Dallam!

With 24 big blinds in the effective stack, I prefer to open raise 2.2x.
On the flop, let's think about range advantage.
Theoretically your open range looks like this:

BTN
And villain's calling range looks like this:
RidaPKR
On the flop 3s-7s-8s, you have a nut advantage of 54.83% as Equilab shows.
Nut avantage
With TT, you are well ahead with 77% vs 26.87%.

TT
IMO, you should have bet the flop to get some value on spades, 7x or 8x. Betting 1/4 pot sounds good to me, say 1090.
The c-bet has the advantage of placing you in the hand because when villain starts to fuss turn, you must be ready to give up your overpair which beat by two pair or better.
Your mistake in this hand is not c-bet the flop. If you had, you would have given up turn with no problem for save valuable chips for the rest of the tournament.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The open was 2.35bb-s. I get the fact why you're saying 3bb or more here, but since it's my Button raise, they don't need to have that much information in my eyes how strong or vurnerable my hand is, because I will be in a position when we see the flop. So they have to take the risk to join in or repush my raise - in the same time I can afford to have combination with this raise like 56s, J5s, AK, KK etc. So huge variety of combos, bringing in all of my bluffs and value bets at the same time.

When flop came I felt that check is a shy move, I would agree on pot control here, we are probably leading many times or chasing heavily, and all of the strong flush-draws can be in our hands as well. After that, happened what it happened, it was unavoidable.

So thank you for your analysis, trying to built in my game some of these tricks. :)

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You both see the suited flop and check. After that starts betting from the opponent and you call. Yes he could bet more because he had the two pairs going for the full house which he finally got. You were down from the flop. He could go all-in but he didn't. That was the good for you!:)

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi :)

Hot 3.3$, I have 24bbs and having 10-10 on dealer.

We flopped a possible flush in another colour but all of the cards were lower than mine pocket combination. So we both checked, and after that opponent started to targetting my combination.
- My first question is what type of hand we could imagine from villain when he raised the turn 66% (2/3) of the pot?
- Second is that now we get a 43% continuation bet which look very small, but the board is paired so do we have to call this confident with the Tens?
- And lastly was it rather unlucky, or opponent did a fine job on this, or did I made a mistake on some point?

Thanks, GL 😎
Our study point is flop----On the flop we want to be thinking how do we showdown this hand cheaply-as we saw here checking did not do that for us-next we want to be thinking does our equity improve on turn -not really as the nuts is a flush the second nuts sets and only one card is clean if we make a set-
Therefore we want to bet this flop with a small sizing to keep control of the pot and to narrow the BB's range- We can also make better decisions on the river if we bet the flop and the pot is smaller on the river if we check turn to bluff catch