$3.25 NLHE Turbo: $ : M=51 UTG+1 JJ raise 3x, 1 caller flop comes AAK

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$3.25 NL HE Turbo: $ : M=51 UTG+1 JJ raise 3x, 1 caller flop comes AAK

Really wasn't sure how I should play this one. It seems he could have only been playing back at me with an A, which was unlikely since there was already 2 out there

poker stars $3.00+$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t10/t20 Blinds - 9 players
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

MP1: t1500 M = 50
MP2: t1640 M = 54.67
CO: t1520 M = 50.67
BTN: t1470 M = 49
SB: t1480 M = 49.33
BB: t1500 M = 50
UTG: t1500 M = 50
Hero (UTG+1): t1530 M = 51
UTG+2: t1360 M = 45.33

Pre Flop: (t30) Hero is UTG+1 with J J
1 fold, Hero raises to t60, UTG+2 calls t60, 6 folds

Flop: (t150) A K A (2 players)
Hero bets t80, UTG+2 calls t80

Turn: (t310) Q (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG+2 bets t180, Hero folds

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played it fine, his call on the flop could mean either an A or a K, but the Q on the turn made the fold even easier. Now if the turn had been a blank, it would have been trickier, but A or K are both in villains range...depending on the size of the bet, you might have to call turn and then c/f river if he fires again. But then again, since it's so early in the SnG, I might just fold to a turn bet regardless....there will be better spots to get your money in.

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually like the flop bet- if you check and he bets, you have no idea where you are in the hand. Plus, alot of players will give up on this flop with weak pairs, or a hand like JT.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so basically because of the two overcards i should just give up on the hand?
It hits his range very well here. Checking is the only line, by betting, your turning your hand into a bluff. As mentioned you will only get called by a hand that beats you, generally speaking.
I actually like the flop bet- if you check and he bets, you have no idea where you are in the hand. Plus, alot of players will give up on this flop with weak pairs, or a hand like JT.
Eww, you don't want them to give up with weak pairs, or JT is very unlikely. Check/calling one street would probably be ok, probably folding to most turn bets though.

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Eww, you don't want them to give up with weak pairs, or JT is very unlikely. Check/calling one street would probably be ok, probably folding to most turn bets though.

Err- good point, when I replied the 2nd time I forgot we had JJ. What I don't like about check/calling is that most aces at these stakes will definitely check behind, as will most small pairs. So, we reach the turn with no idea where we are in the hand. Furthermore, by letting him bet he gets to decide the size of the bet- would we really be comfortable calling a decent size bet here OOP with 2 overcards on the board? Sure an ace wouldn't bet this board, but a K definitely would.

I can see how check/calling allows worse hands to bluff at us, so I see how that's an advantage. I don't know, I'm kinda torn on this one. Essentially, I'm looking for a breakdown of the advantages of check/calling vs being the first to fire.

Out of curiosity, if the flop went check/check, with the Q on the turn, do we bet at this? Or check/call?