SB: t1480 74 BBs
BB: t1400 70 BBs
UTG: t1500 75 BBs
UTG+1: t1480 74 BBs
UTG+2: t1500 75 BBs
MP1: t1650 82.50 BBs
MP2: t1500 75 BBs

Pre Flop: (t30) Hero is BTN with 9:club: 9:spade:
1 fold, UTG+1 calls t20, 3 folds, CO raises to t90, Hero calls t90, SB calls t80, 1 fold, UTG+1 calls t70

Flop: (t380) 5:spade: 7:club: 8:heart: (4 players)
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, Hero bets t200, SB raises to t555, UTG+1 folds, CO folds, Hero raises to t1400 all in, SB calls t835 all in

What are people's thoughts on this hand? My old standard move here preflop would have been to reraise here but I think calling is best.

Once I've flopped the overpair + straight draw I have to think I'm good here. If I didn't have the straight draw would a lead here still be good?

B

BigThingWithHolesInIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is our read on SB? His check-raise on the flop should worry us if he is generally passive.
TBQH I don't think we're that good here. He's saying he has trips or a made straight. We got 6 outs twice against the trips. 3 twice against 6-4 and 6-9 (latter only splits pot).

He has more outs against you if he's only semibluffing with e.g. A6 (11 outs twice). Even a complete bluff with two overs busts you about 25% of the time.

The blinds are small and we only have top pair, I don't think this is the time to get our stack in.
The flop lead is fine btw, even without the straight draw.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ask yourself what the plan was with this type of hand preflop, and it should give you some answers as to what to do postflop.

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is our read on SB? His check-raise on the flop should worry us if he is generally passive.
TBQH I don't think we're that good here. He's saying he has trips or a made straight. We got 6 outs twice against the trips. 3 twice against 6-4 and 6-9 (latter only splits pot).

He has more outs against you if he's only semibluffing with e.g. A6 (11 outs twice). Even a complete bluff with two overs busts you about 25% of the time.

The blinds are small and we only have top pair, I don't think this is the time to get our stack in.
The flop lead is fine btw, even without the straight draw.

Yeah it is a gross spot. The thing is though, the odds are very compelling once I've bet here. Let's say instead of raising he went all-in; I'm getting 1.8:1(or is it 1:1.8?) This means for a call to be neutral EV I need to win 35%. However, with the set/straight draw outs I'm going to win approximately 40%. Therefore, by betting I've basically committed myself. Hell, if he has AA I still have the correct odds to call as I'm going to win 38% and if has a set it's a fold, I'm going to win 32%.

Against this range:
AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, 67, 68, 78, 66, 77, 88

99 will win 50%, so folding here is a clear error. Still, it seems gross committing myself here with a half pot bet. Unless I'm wrong, I think this is the only way I can play this hand; can you guys think of an alternative play here?

Ask yourself what the plan was with this type of hand preflop, and it should give you some answers as to what to do postflop.

To be honest, I didn't have a plan. My usual plan would be to raise pre but from another hand I realised that that was not a good idea, so I just called....