$.27 NLHE MTT: Cool hand that Im changing with hypotheticals

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/6qZNX4y

I think I played this hand fine although feel free to comment on anything you would have done differently. I thought about 4 betting but figured the villain that 3 bet in this hand did not have air as I did not see them 3 bet a lot as most micro players dont. I didnt want to 4 bet and then have to fold to a five bet when my hand had playability post flop even out of position. I did shove on the flop when I started with more than 100 BBs to start the hand which is deep but in this case I think is fine since if I raise there I am at least making it 1/3rd of remaining stack so I decide to go with it. I am actually a favorite against AA and KK and close to even against made straights (dont think that is in their range though). Again, let me know how you see and would play it. Keep in mind this is a micro tourney so I expected a lot of calls against hands that I was ahead of.

The reason why I am posting this hand though is lets say all stacks here are doubled or tripled which would make this very deep. What would you do then? I would raise but I am not sure what the right size would be (I personally think I would make it 3k ish) and that would only be to induce AA and KK. I really would never want a fold if that were the stack sizes. Would you fold if you made that raise and then got jammed on? you would be 40% against sets and 55% ish and against AA and KK which I assume would be the jam or re raise range of villain. If they called and then the turn misses us, then what would you do since there is only one card to come and we would be behind usually at that point? Just wanted to throw this out there to see how people play big draws when they are very deep (more than 150 BBs to start the hand). Thanks in advance for your thoughts on the hypothetical and any thoughts you have on how the actual hand played out.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
When I open AJs UTG at a 9-handed table and get 3-bet, my consideration is usually between calling and folding. 4-betting is only something, I would consider, if I had a solid read, that the Villain was a maniac. In this case it was an undersized 3-bet, which can sometimes indicate aces or kings. On the other hand it gives you a great price, and you can make the nut flush with decent stacks behind, so I would clearly call here, and I dont really think, any other play has merits.

Flop
You flopped a combo-draw, which is of course great. In 3-bet pots I tend to shy away from raising draws though. The reason is, the 3-bettor has such a strong range, and there is no point in just getting it in on the flop against his overpair, TPTK or set. In this case there was also another guy in the hand, who had already called the flop bet, and its rather unlikely, you can get both of them to fold.

This is an important concept for muliway pots, because if you still need to beat one guy at showdown, you actually want other people to stay in the pot as well, when you are drawing to the nuts. In this case the guy made a bad call with his K high flushdraw, but its a disaster, if he fold with just 2% equity, and then you dont get his stack, when the flush comes in.

Deeper stacks
Since I would check-call the flop with 100BB stacks, I would obviously also do the same with deeper stacks.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your check-shove is certainly reasonable, although Fundiver makes a good case for check-calling flop instead. Still, some of the time both players will fold, and you'll usually be a favorite with 15+ outs when you're called. (Occasionally you'll have fewer outs vs a set, but the 3 aces can also be outs.)

If stacks are much deeper though, then definitely check-call instead of playing a huge pot out of position which is what will usually happen if you check-raise super-deep.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands