$27 NLHE MTT Bounty: Good shove...bad shove?

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

4evrInmyheart RIP xoxo :(
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
about 31 players left out of 1.7k, 20kgtd game......villian pretty much just moved to the table but felt his stack and position very likely a steal attempt?

6ce0e199a781285616337d20a4cf3076.png

S

Scrover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not the worst shove in the world, but your opponent is getting close to two to one so you're inviting in hands like suited connectors and weak aces. You are threatening his stack a bit, so you do have some fold equity and by this being a bounty tournament, I wouldn't blame the person calling you.

You do still have a hand with good equity and I don't blame you for shoving.

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It can be both, i like your play here, because as you said this easily can be try to steal the blinds, but also this is bounty tourney so he can call with bigger range i think, i would do the same think as you in that point.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's fine.... Just know u will be called fairly often by wider range

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It think it's fine, like I think it's going to be profitable and even when called by even vs those rag aces/middle pairs/TJ/QJ etcetc it's not a terrible spot to be in. Besdies which it's a KO tournament so hands he might normally fold will probably call. I think he's nearly committed with most of his hands and not folding often though given you're on 8bb so don't expect to many folds.

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

4evrInmyheart RIP xoxo :(
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It think it's fine, like I think it's going to be profitable and even when called by even vs those rag aces/middle pairs/TJ/QJ etcetc it's not a terrible spot to be in. Besdies which it's a KO tournament so hands he might normally fold will probably call. I think he's nearly committed with most of his hands and not folding often though given you're on 8bb so don't expect to many folds.

Thanks for the feedback ram, was hoping you would popin to comment.

Thanks to others as well, much appreciated.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it being a knockout tourney actually hurts us here, he is going to call with hands we would rather he folds. think we have exactly zero fold equity since he isn't ever going to r/f and given this he will only raise hands he can be ok calling off.

just noticed the SB stack size, i expect him to be higher up in his range given he is raising into 2 stacks he could call off comfortably v and its a pretty nightmarish steal spot for the button, given that i think he is far more likely to have the top of his range and just rip the stuff we do well against. if he ripped we can probably call but i feel like we are crushed by a r/c range if he is competent. but again big assumptions and we are short and fairly high in our range.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why is this such a horrible spot to steal. The SB has enough stack to hurt the button, but is likely to 3bet with a strong hand, in which case BTN simply folds if he's actually stealing. Plus SB may not call light since BB has a shove-sized stack.

As for what to do, NP with shoving but I'd also consider the stop and go.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As far as a button open these aren't good stack sizes to r/f to. They are good sizes to jam on

1947kings

1947kings

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think u did the right thing there...With just 9 BB, that's a fair attempt to re steal the blinds there...villain probably tries to steal 8 out of 10 times in that position at that stage of tourney...good shove !

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't have a problem with your play...it's almost standard and your likely to get called by worse and if u do get called by better you still have around 35% equity....There is an alternative play and I'm sure it was your best option.....The underused stop and go play seemed like it would have worked here....flatting preflop then open shoving the flop could have been an alternative play for it can't hurt if he's already gonna call your shove preflop...Of course the risk you take with the stop and go play is your opponent calls a hand on the flop that he would've folded preflop....however given the odds your opponent is getting here its not the case.....for...heshouldn't be folding anything preflop to your shove....Which is why the stop and go could have been your best option! However given that its a bounty tournament it may not have been...Now I'm arguing with myself lol!

Last edited:
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
let's simplify, he has a decent stack, and he's on the button, good chance he is bluff stealing here.

I think arjon is spot on here, the stop n go would be my play of chioce, it looks like we will a little over a pot sized shove on the flop? And when we actually hit, he will likely jam on us, giving us value ;)

Trent, if we think we have little to no FE preflop, then him hitting a pair when we STOP n go is essentially the same as shoving..

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like your move sir. In the long run, that move earns.
Aside from decent pot equity, we can add bluff percentage to it.