$27.50 NLHE Turbo: Final Table Chip Leader got caught stealing blinds

C

Cyborg010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$27.50 NL HE Turbo: Final Table Chip Leader got caught stealing blinds

Hey there CC, first time posting to this section I was at the FT of the $27.50 turbo 20k guarentee on Stars, im the chip leader ive got about 500k in chips ahead by about 200k from the next runner, ive just shoved all in with small pocket pairs the last two turns and stole the blinds. I get dealt A-10 offsuit, and shove, get called by JJ and the flop comes 7-7-10 and the turn is a 7 and the river bricked. He has a higher full house and wins, i get shortstacked and make it to 5th place and shove on the Button with 9-9 and he calls with K-7 and gets his K and im out, i get $1200 for my efforts.

was the A-10 shove a bad move?

B

BigThingWithHolesInIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have any kind of stack, open-shoving is nearly always a bad move.
And if you do it a few times in a row, people will realize you can't have top-notch hands all the time. So you're digging your own grave, sooner or later someone will call with a hand that's better than yours, which is what happened here.

Raising 3-4x BB is plenty to get lots of hands to fold, and a call or raise will alert you that they do have a hand. Don't be ashamed to admit your steal by folding to a raise.

Your shortstack shove with 99 was good though, and you had bad luck against a weaker hand.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have the hand history this would become much easier to answer. Find it on your hard drive and then copy it here.

A

anonimousplz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have any kind of stack, open-shoving is nearly always a bad move.
And if you do it a few times in a row, people will realize you can't have top-notch hands all the time. So you're digging your own grave, sooner or later someone will call with a hand that's better than yours, which is what happened here.

Raising 3-4x BB is plenty to get lots of hands to fold, and a call or raise will alert you that they do have a hand. Don't be ashamed to admit your steal by folding to a raise.

Your shortstack shove with 99 was good though, and you had bad luck against a weaker hand.

Its a turbo mtt so im going to assume that effective stacks were no more than around 15bb if this is the case then raising to the full 3bb would be a mistake unless you are willing to call a shove anyway. I doubt a shove is bad to be honest but as others have said would need to see the hand history :)

S

starky2009

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We also need to know your position, and as stated the blinds. If your the button with Ace 10, with 10BB its a shove all day long....

B

BigThingWithHolesInIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes my bad, I kinda overlooked the 'FT' abbrev in the original post.