$250 NLHE MTT Rebuy: High Blind Bubble play; bad or good?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, this is a live 91 man tourney in a local cardroom.

We are on the bubble for the final table, so 11 players remain on 2 tables. average stack is 98,000 and blinds are 3000/6000/1000 so average M is 11.

I have 55,000 and have just been blinding out because I've had no opportunities to steal blinds, my table is very aggressive and I'm perfectly happy and willing to resteal with almost any above average hand, but in the last 4 orbits the best hand I saw was Q9 and I would have tried to resteal with it except there was a raise and a call ahead of me....anyways my point is that my image is pretty tight, and it's not because I'm tightening up because of the bubble, but that's probably what they think of me...

We are at the 5 handed table, and villain has been raising to 17,000 very frequently, and has sometimes folded to a 3bet shove, and sometimes called. He called a 3bet shove with J5s and again with QTo....but has also folded to a 3 bet shove about 3 times. It folded to his SB and he raised and I had A2o in the BB and folded and he showed me J4o....

Ok....so a few hands later I've just been biding my time waiting for an opportunity to resteal, of course this dude opens up for 17,000 again from UTG. I am UTG+1/Cutoff and I look down at A3s I jam and he insta calls with ATo

I flop a flush draw and gutshot, but don't improve and I'm out. Bubble girl....though they did pay the bubble $150 so I only lost a little....

The rail said I should have waited for a better spot because this guy likes to gamble....another friend who was sweating me said I should have 1-2 shoved on the flop....I don't think this LAG would have let me though, I think him being out of position, he would have shoved the flop and I would have had to decide whether or not to call with just a draw and A high....

I feel like it was just unfortunate that he had a hand that strong, I know A3s is not a monster but I can't just keep blinding out. He could easily have KJ or 66 and then I've got a shot to double up....or he could fold his garbage hands, or hands like A4 A5 A6 because of my image....

thoughts?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given your stack, any A is good BvB so the A2o should be a shove.

A3 hand is a fold, his range is too strong UTG and you have almost no FE, too many people to act behind. You should be shoving fairly wide on next hand however.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks ok to me. Ur UTG+1 and ur going to pay blinds in a few hands which will devastate your stack further lowering your FE, so a jam looks fine to me here

Wait nvm didn't read part of the post, ignore what I said

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Baudib is correct. A2 BVB easy shove, A3s in EP easy fold.

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe need more info, but i think utg+1 with A-3s, it´s behind almost any playable two, so having so many players waiting to call, well maybe you tried a semibluff, giving credit to your image, but still i think is a coin flip from there, and more knowing you have a player that already will go for the pot, so if he appears with any two (and in this case those two should be more than average hand because your image), wow, is a tough call, maybe fifty fifty, but then you were in the bubble, so very risky i think

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given your stack, any A is good BvB so the A2o should be a shove.

A3 hand is a fold, his range is too strong UTG and you have almost no FE, too many people to act behind. You should be shoving fairly wide on next hand however.

This, just those two bad decisions cost you, you should have figured his range opens up greatly when BvB and is probably just trying to steal, easy shove. Even if he has a hand like KQ you are a favorite. Only things you are worried about is a bigger A or a pocket pair which is possible but not likely.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thanks for the replies.
yes, I am still kicking myself for folding that A2o in BvB...

I know that a normal player's UTG opening range is tighter....but not so much for this guy. In the last 25 hands he open raised about 8 or 9 of them, and 3 were UTG...I wasn't shoving for value, I was restealing as a semi bluff kind of relying on my image that he would give me credit for a hand...I felt I had just enough of a stack to make him fold....he raised to 17,000 and I shoved for 55,000; so a fairly big reraise he had folded a couple of times to 3 bet shoves from similar stack sizes, but had also called similar stack sizes....

I don't know....I guess you all are right and I could have waited for a better spot.

problem is that waiting for a better spot had already caused my chipstack to blind down from above average at 99k to about half of average at 55k in just a few orbits....it just sucks when the blinds get so high and you're card dead....but I guess patience prevails most of the time...

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that A2o was an easy shove BvB but I am not so sure A3s is such an easy fold. It may be a fold but we are 5-handed so its not really UTG and from what I understand in the OP this guy was bullying and we are pretty short so I think its at least close.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel like it was just unfortunate that he had a hand that strong, I know A3s is not a monster but I can't just keep blinding out. He could easily have KJ or 66 and then I've got a shot to double up....or he could fold his garbage hands, or hands like A4 A5 A6 because of my image....

thoughts?

So you're saying you just can't keep blinding out, so you decided to shove with A3s against UTG+1 with 3 players behind you left to act but yet, fold to bvb with A2o? Don't really understand the logic.

Blind vs Blind with A2o, I would've jammed. Not to mention, my friend even CALLED bubble play all-in for his tourney life with A6o instantly against this moron's shove with 59o. Lot of times, you're in a very good spot here. By shoving, you have fold equity too.

You mixed both of your plays up. You would've had better fold equity and wider range of hands on your villain, higher equity during bvb while not so much with A3s hand in utg+1/cutoff just over the fact that there are 3 players behind you left to act.

K

kanselau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for the replies.
yes, I am still kicking myself for folding that A2o in BvB...

I know that a normal player's UTG opening range is tighter....but not so much for this guy. In the last 25 hands he open raised about 8 or 9 of them, and 3 were UTG...I wasn't shoving for value, I was restealing as a semi bluff kind of relying on my image that he would give me credit for a hand...I felt I had just enough of a stack to make him fold....he raised to 17,000 and I shoved for 55,000; so a fairly big reraise he had folded a couple of times to 3 bet shoves from similar stack sizes, but had also called similar stack sizes....

I don't know....I guess you all are right and I could have waited for a better spot.

problem is that waiting for a better spot had already caused my chipstack to blind down from above average at 99k to about half of average at 55k in just a few orbits....it just sucks when the blinds get so high and you're card dead....but I guess patience prevails most of the time...

If we are ahead of villains range here , we are only very slightly ahead.

Villain must have a big stack right now and loves to gamble, so you have very little FE.
After your shove pot is 81000 and it costs villain 38000 to call.
So hes getting just over 2-1 to call , hes only folding total trash witch I doubt hes opening pot UTG with in the first place , even maniacs have standards .

Add to this you have 4 players to worry about.

Id rather shove any two next hand.

I close my eyes think about the times I have won tornaments with 2 BB left and fold.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes, good points everyone.

I'd just like to point out again we are 5 handed....so I probably shouldn't have said UTG... and so there were only 3 players to act behind me....but even so...yes I see I could have found a better spot.

I pretty much would have to shove any 2 next hand.... and it would be this maniac's BB and he'd probably call me with a top 40% hand...

D

daramvid

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the shove. Maybe call and let him miss flop than shove after he c bets or checks.