$.25 NLHE MTT: top pair weak kicker on a 3bet pot (bluff) FT

tewwa94

tewwa94

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that person was literally raising every hand from BTN and SB and using the same size, so I started to 3bet light and getting away with it. The thing is this time I got called, so I guess he/she can have a decent hand, which is why I folded to the check-shove, since I'm beaten by most Kx hands. The thing is, should I check the flop when my 3bet bluff gets called IP? should I bet smaller?

pokerstars - 300/600 Ante 50 NL - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by Holdem Manager 3

Hero (BB): 25,861 (43.1 bb)
CO: 4,274 (7.1 bb)
BTN: 13,164 (21.9 bb)
SB: 24,201 (40.3 bb)

4 players post ante of 50, SB posts 300, Hero posts BB 600

Pre Flop: (pot: 1,100) Hero has :6s4: :ks4:
2 folds, SB raises to 1,260, Hero raises to 4,200, SB calls 2,940

Flop: (8,600, 2 players) :2c4: :qd4: :kh4:
SB checks, Hero bets 4,386, SB raises to 19,951 and is all-in, Hero folds

Results: 17,372 pot (0 rake)
Final Board: :2c4: :qd4: :kh4:

SB wins 17,372

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that person was literally raising every hand from BTN and SB and using the same size, so I started to 3bet light and getting away with it. The thing is this time I got called, so I guess he/she can have a decent hand, which is why I folded to the check-shove, since I'm beaten by most Kx hands. The thing is, should I check the flop when my 3bet bluff gets called IP? should I bet smaller?

PokerStars - 300/600 Ante 50 NL - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by Holdem Manager 3

Hero (BB): 25,861 (43.1 bb)
CO: 4,274 (7.1 bb)
BTN: 13,164 (21.9 bb)
SB: 24,201 (40.3 bb)

4 players post ante of 50, SB posts 300, Hero posts BB 600

Pre Flop: (pot: 1,100) Hero has :6s4: :ks4:
2 folds, SB raises to 1,260, Hero raises to 4,200, SB calls 2,940

Flop: (8,600, 2 players) :2c4: :qd4: :kh4:
SB checks, Hero bets 4,386, SB raises to 19,951 and is all-in, Hero folds

Results: 17,372 pot (0 rake)
Final Board: :2c4: :qd4: :kh4:

SB wins 17,372

Thank you for posting

Ok you are in the realm of meta game so you have to be ready for what your V is thinking
So what data do we have?
Is V going to fight back or just value trap?
If V is value trapping why check shove?
Why would this V think we would call?
DoesV even think we are light 3betting?
Has V shown any skill plays?
Has V ever big bet before?

Hope this helps

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont mind the raising if you have been getting away with it. When villain calls here, you should have heightened awareness which it sounds as if you did. One thing I would advise is that you do not need to bet large on this flop no matter what cards flop. You 3 bet the pot so very likely the villain will be playing a little more fit or fold than normal. I would say with the pot at 8600 you should bet somewhere between 3000 and 3500. I know that is a down bet compared to the pre flop raise but that should not stop you from doing it. This sizing will let you know whether villain has anything and the times the raise you, you save chips if you decide to fold. It also is a sizing that may keep more crap in the hand which is what you want. I doubt it is in their range but if villain has something like Qx with x<8 we want them to call and not fold. I would say given the info your fold is correct but there is a decent chance you were bluffed. Nothing wrong with getting bluffed (if you never get bluffed you are a call station) but betting less on the flop results in us losing fewer chips when we are beat.

Just a side note, you talk about villain raising buttons and SB whens folded to them. These are drastically different plays as if you call or raise you will be in position one time and out of it the other. Be careful about 3 betting from the SB as you are bloating the pot when out of position and still would have the BB behind. You know all that already I bet but just something I wanted to throw out there.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
In this spot ICM is very important, because there are big payjumps now, and two players have at least twice as many chips as the other two. The player with 7BB is likely to either bust or dubble shortly. With that in mind I dont love the 3-bet. You dont want to "battle" this guy, you want to avoid him, and when that is not possible, you want to play for a lot of pot control. If he is clever, he will do the same, and it can almost become a kind of silent collusion between you, until someone has busted, or stacks sizes changed. I am not folding to a mini-raise in position, but I am just calling not only with this hand but a lot of other hands as well.

Flop
Same story on the flop. No need to bet here with top pair meh kicker. Just check back and try to get to showdown as cheaply as possible. As played I like your fold. Its a disaster to get it in here against a better made hand, which will at the bare minimum have you kicker dominated and drawing to 3 outs.

Last edited: