$.25 NLHE MTT: Too conservative on the river?

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD and Database Software

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/7qZVmnz

We were only 5-handed at this table and there was no SB. The hand history has the positions a little off due to this. Check the replayer link.

I flopped two pair and the board was draw-heavy, Flop goes CCC and the BB calls my Turn bet so I assume he has a J. I check back the River because of this. Should I have raised PF here? I over-limped because I didn't want a reraise PF. Should I raise on this flop with a big hand like this? The texture did not favor my hand

Should I have gone for value on the River? Again, board texture was so bad for my hand.

I clearly need to study more because I really wasn't sure how to play this one.

NL Holdem $0.25+$0.02 (3800.00BB)
BB ($117501)
HJ ($53690)
CO ($159354)
HERO ($112677)
SB ($56495) [VPIP: 16.7% | PFR: 16.7% | AGG: 0% | Hands: 12]
HJ Folds, CO Calls $3800, HERO Calls $3800, SB Folds, BB Checks

Hero SPR on Flop: [7.8 effective]
Flop ($13900): Q 9 K
BB Checks, CO Checks, HERO Checks

Turn ($13900): Q 9 K T
BB Checks, CO Checks, HERO Bets $6255 (Rem. Stack: $102122), BB Calls $6255 (Rem. Stack: $106946), CO Folds

River ($26410): Q 9 K T 8
BB Checks, HERO Checks

BB shows: 5 K

HERO wins: $26410

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I prefer to isolate the limper with this hand. When you limp behind, you allow BB to see a free flop, and you also make it very easy for BTN to come into the pot, so that you dont have position postflop. Yes you put more chips out there, that they can attack with a 3-bet, but its not going to happen often enough, that its something to worry about.

If you dont want to commit yourself against BTN and his short stack, you can isolate to a somewhat smaller size than normal. The limper will then always call, but if you get BTN and maybe BB out of the hand, it still serves a purpose. This is after all why, we call it isolating. The main goal is not to get the limper to fold but to avoid a multiway pot.

Flop
I dont understand this check behind. You have a very strong but also vulnerable hand, so for me this is a mandatory bet for value.

Turn
Its not a great turn card obviously, since it puts a 1-liner to a straight, and it also create another possible better two pair with KT. However when they check to you again, I think, you likely have the best hand. And if not you are probably going to find it out, when you get check-raised. So I like your bet.

River
Nothing changed so as played I would bet for value again. Its kind of a thin valuebet, so I would go less than half pot to get called by hands like the one, he had.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thank you. I will study this strategy and include it in my arsenal!

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with fundiver. I think to start, a raise pre-flop should be in order as you gave odds for multiple people to come into the pot. You want to play a pot in position as often as possible, and you're lucky someone behind you that would be in position post-flop didn't overcall.

Remember, hand equity decreases as more people see a flop, so you want to protect your equity.

As played, the bet on the turn is good, because with the check-call, it is less likely they have Jx, though that is always certainly a part of their range.

I agree that going for some thin value isn't a bad idea on the River, because if they are a passive player, there is potential to be paid a second street of value.

These types of boards are always so awkward to play, but you managed to make it through with some chips, which is never a bad thing. Also, it is important to consider that "Hey, this isn't a great board for me, but this might also not be a great board for them either".

But as you play higher buy in tournaments, you're going to run into players that will push you off your hand on this type of board.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I agree with fundiver. I think to start, a raise pre-flop should be in order as you gave odds for multiple people to come into the pot. You want to play a pot in position as often as possible, and you're lucky someone behind you that would be in position post-flop didn't overcall.

Remember, hand equity decreases as more people see a flop, so you want to protect your equity.

As played, the bet on the turn is good, because with the check-call, it is less likely they have Jx, though that is always certainly a part of their range.

I agree that going for some thin value isn't a bad idea on the River, because if they are a passive player, there is potential to be paid a second street of value.

These types of boards are always so awkward to play, but you managed to make it through with some chips, which is never a bad thing. Also, it is important to consider that "Hey, this isn't a great board for me, but this might also not be a great board for them either".

But as you play higher buy in tournaments, you're going to run into players that will push you off your hand on this type of board.

Great advice. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree with fundiver preflop and flop. Personally I'd pot control on turn/river - because there is just too much that is beating you. No need to get into a sticky spot by betting and then getting re-raised big on river.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No need to get into a sticky spot by betting and then getting re-raised big on river.

At higher limits against good aggressive opponents I would agree with this. But at a limit this low most players are very straight forward. They will tend to call to much with bluff catchers, and if they do occationally check-raise you on the turn or river, its almost always the nuts. Which mean you can just bet-fold and not worry about getting bluffed. So its an exploitable line for soft games, like we must assume, a 0,25$ MTT is :)

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At higher limits against good aggressive opponents I would agree with this. But at a limit this low most players are very straight forward. They will tend to call to much with bluff catchers, and if they do occationally check-raise you on the turn or river, its almost always the nuts. Which mean you can just bet-fold and not worry about getting bluffed. So its an exploitable line for soft games, like we must assume, a 0,25$ MTT is :)
That makes total sense FD. Thanks for your response. Gives me thought. :)

FernA9ndo

FernA9ndo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing against passive you will want to play agressive, so raising the limp PF. You can bet 2/3 on the flop and bet again on the river.