$.25 NLHE MTT: Should I follow through and shove the turn?

tewwa94

tewwa94

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest I think the hand is played well, I was watching this player being a huge fish and calling almost everything, and if he calls with a gutshot he will call any pair combo or even with an A, the king is unfortunate but the I'm oop and with the sizes I was already commited. What do you folks think?

pokerstars - 40/80 Ante 10 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by Holdem Manager 3

UTG+1: 1,297 (16.2 bb)
MP: 1,588 (19.9 bb)
MP+1: 4,567 (57.1 bb)
MP+2: 2,251 (28.1 bb)
CO: 4,002 (50 bb)
BTN: 1,456 (18.2 bb)
Hero (SB): 2,690 (33.6 bb)
BB: 1,767 (22.1 bb)
UTG: 1,032 (12.9 bb)

9 players post ante of 10, Hero posts SB 40, BB posts 80

Pre Flop: (pot: 210) Hero has :10d4: :10h4:
5 folds, CO calls 80, fold, Hero raises to 400, fold, CO calls 320

Flop: (970, 2 players) :5c4: :6d4: :2d4:
Hero bets 854, CO calls 854

Turn: (2,678, 2 players) :kd4:
Hero bets 1,426 and is all-in, CO calls 1,426

River: (5,530, 2 players) :4h4:

Results: 5,530 pot (0 rake)
Final Board: :5c4: :6d4: :2d4: :kd4: :4h4:

Hero shows :10d4: :10h4:: (One Pair, Tens)
(Pre 72%, Flop 72%, Turn 23%)

CO shows :ks4: :4d4:: (Two Pair, Kings and Fours)
(Pre 28%, Flop 28%, Turn 77%)

CO wins 5,530

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would push on flop. You have overpair and you blocking some flash draws.
At last as played you have to push on turn on any card (almost):

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I agree with the push on turn. With a flush draw and a straight draw, plus you don't want to see over cards, there is nothing that can turn or river that shouldn't scare you except one of the two tens.

Any bet short of all in makes you pot committed anyway, so might as well do it now. Shove and pick up the 12BBs, or he calls and you are a favorite even to a draw or over cards.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the push on turn. With a flush draw and a straight draw, plus you don't want to see over cards, there is nothing that can turn or river that shouldn't scare you except one of the two tens.

Any bet short of all in makes you pot committed anyway, so might as well do it now. Shove and pick up the 12BBs, or he calls and you are a favorite even to a draw or over cards.

Thank you for your post. I agree with this play. Shove the flop and take it down. Anything less than a shove in this position might look bluffy and with just one pair and these draws I'd rather take the pot down immediately. Good Luck

Good Luck To All:cool:

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since this is a small buyin tournament, I would shove on the turn. Otherwise, betting smaller on the flop is the better play. You’re not really scared of that many hands. Yes there are straight and flush draws but those stronger draws aren’t folding.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop is good, flop bet I think is too large but if you say he is a fish and will call a lot I can get on board with it. My question is, would he ever fold to your turn shove in your opinion? If the answer is that he will never fold then I am fine with the shove but if he will folding out his worst holdings I think its not a shove, especially if you bet less on the flop. We dont want to be in a spot where he only calls if he has us beat and folds everything else.

Also, how aggressive is he here? Meaning if you checked on the turn would he be shoving with any two cards? If he has that play in him a check would be fine (as long as you know he wont check back often) and then you can just use your 10s as a bluff catcher. This play will work better if you think he is folding his garbage to your turn shove.

In the end this is just what happens when you play big pots against fish at times (not saying you were wrong). You will have high variance as they could always catch their miracle card somewhere in the hand because they will always see all five of them. Just a bad luck hand

D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

Not sure I agree with you saying that the move in the turn was a smart move, maybe you folks can explain why you see it that way? In my opinion, K is a scared card as you now possibly don't have the strongest pair yet. Betting on it doesn't make sense to me? Except you are trying some sort of weak semibluff and pretend to have some sort of straight (having 34? Unlikely to raise to 400 preflop with 34..). So I would have preferred to either shove on the flop or at least go 2x or 3x potsize on the flop, hoping that opponent will give up their hope to find a 3 on the board..

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree, we are not folding on the turn with a halfpotter left against someone, who can have literally anything. But the question is, if we make most money by pushing the action or by checking and allowing him to bluff. That will depend a lot on individual player tendencies.

Its also important to not tilt, when we are shown a hand like K4 offsuit, which he should not have. Here it is important to remember, that poker is a long term game, and he is losing massively in the long run by playing junk like this. But of course he will sometimes make the best hand. Its rare in poker, that someone is drawing dead. Usually even garbage hands have outs.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shove flop and take it down. Pocket 10s aren't the strongest hand in the world, but that was a good flop for you. All under cards, but there was a lot of danger for you with two diamonds and a coordinated board. Don't let him get ahead.