$.25 NLHE MTT Rebuy: Am I 3betting correctly here?

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
1st hand at this table so knew nothing about villain. I think I am supposed to 3bet TT and perhaps I just got outflopped here. Is that correct?

What else could he be raising with in the HJ? I can only beat a bluff at this point. I peeled one more off on the flop to see if I hit my set and then he shoves on the turn when there are 2 overcards to my pair.

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD and Database Software

NL Holdem $0.25+$0.02 (250.00BB)
BB ($18841)
UTG ($21574)
MP ($6862)
HJ ($8967)
HERO ($22814)
BTN ($17968)
SB ($9237)
Dealt to Hero: T T

UTG Folds, MP Folds, HJ Raises To $530, HERO Raises To $2094, BTN Folds, SB Folds, BB Folds, HJ Calls $1564

Hero SPR on Flop: [1.46 effective]
Flop ($4713): 3 8 A
HJ Bets $2357 (Rem. Stack: $4516), HERO Calls $2357 (Rem. Stack: $18363)

Turn ($9427): 3 8 A Q
HJ Bets $4516 (allin), HERO Folds

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As far as the 3 betting question, yes this is good although you probably went a little larger than normal but it is important to know for 3 bet sizing if you are going to make an error (not saying your play was an error) make the error betting too large vs min 3 betting which I see too much of.

As far as the hand is played out, when villain donk leads I am thinking that I am going against Ax here that was too afraid that I would check behind if it was checked to me with the board having two spades. This is a micro tourney so you never know what villain is thinking (if thinking at all) but I would personally think I am behind and would consider folding here. In game I probably call and then fold turn but realistically if I am thinking I am beat on the flop I should fold. Not sure what you exactly thought of this donk bet but it seems a weird place to bluff. Some in the micros will lead here with 8x but not sure how many 8xs villain has that pre flop raised and then called a hefty 3 bet. I believe their range is Ace heavy here and folding is probably the best play.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yeah. It was a loose call from me cause I figured he donk bet with some lousy Ax. Just wanted to see if a T would come off on the Turn. But yeah. Should've folded on his Donk bet.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1st hand at this table so knew nothing about villain. I think I am supposed to 3bet TT and perhaps I just got outflopped here. Is that correct?

What else could he be raising with in the HJ? I can only beat a bluff at this point. I peeled one more off on the flop to see if I hit my set and then he shoves on the turn when there are 2 overcards to my pair.
The 3-bet is great, perhaps could have considered more like a 3x sizing since here was IP unless heros goal was to get a fold in which case maybe a little larger. It is yuck that the Ace flops and before calling Villain's flop bet hero needs to consider what Villain called the 3bet OOP with. Ace combinations are good candidates. Queen turns, another bad card for hero, good fold.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah. It was a loose call from me cause I figured he donk bet with some lousy Ax. Just wanted to see if a T would come off on the Turn. But yeah. Should've folded on his Donk bet.
I think calling here to hope and hit the set is probably the worst reason to call. Its a very specific situation to justify such call, when a bunch of players in the pot and bet is very small.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You are absolutely right. Lesson learned.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
3-betting in this spot is fine but not mandatory. Its totally acceptable to just call as well, keep the pot smaller and look to use your position postflop. If you 3-bet, I prefer it a bit smaller. When you go this big, you create a very low SPR, where a lot of flops are going to be very awkward for TT.

Flop
This is the problem with creating such a small SPR. The flop has an ace, he donk into you, and you basically have no good options left. He could have some bluffs like maybe a flushdraw, but it is really profitable to get it in with TT? Probably not. And if you call flop only to fold turn, then why not just fold now. You can have a lot of AX as the 3-bettor, so its not like, he can bluff you to high heaven, because you fold TT.

Turn
Now you even lose to some of the hands, that were bluffing on the flop, like KQ of spades or QJ of spades. So yeah just fold and move on.

Vitorbismark

Vitorbismark

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I found the 3-bet perfect and with that you can put your opponent in a very solid hand range. From the moment an A appears on the table, the game is basically over, as the opponent's call puts an AK, AQ, or better. I think that after the flop you lost a chip.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I found the 3-bet perfect and with that you can put your opponent in a very solid hand range. From the moment an A appears on the table, the game is basically over, as the opponent's call puts an AK, AQ, or better. I think that after the flop you lost a chip.
Yep. This is a leak I need to plug. Overvaluing pocket pairs. Thanks.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally am 3 betting here. I don't want to risk a 3 or 4 way pot. I think your size is very awkward, I would probably go like 1200 or so with action behind and positional advantage. You could also go like 4000 which is risky with action behind but would effectively force villain to a preflop decision for all his chips.

As played, it's a fold on the flop. At these stakes, many players don't understand ranges or anything other than the most basic poker concepts. I doubt this guy's thinking went beyond "op, I hit my ace...time to bet". Any mediocre or better player is check calling or check jamming his ace here. I think just assume he's bad and got lucky, muck the hand, move on.

Subel007

Subel007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that was right decision,on turn there were many hands which beats you tens

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. Preflop. 3-bet is a good decision, but it was possible to bet 1500. This would be enough to knock the blinds out of the game. Calling is also possible here, because we have position on the villain.
2. Flop. Calling is a very dubious decision, as the opponent commits himself to the pot with this bet. The bluff here is unlikely.
3. Turn. Very good fold.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars