T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Pretty early in a low buy-in PKO. Only about 12 hands with a few of these players. Lots of limping and then multiple calls to my 3bet. So I guess a pretty loose bunch here. I opted to check back when the 3rd card to a flush comes out on the river. Was that the right play?

Should I have bet more on the flop? I bet just about 1/2 pot and got called. Figured he had any Ax combo or a draw at this point. Then about 3/4 pot on the turn and got called again so I thought he was for sure on a draw and it might have hit on this river.

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker Tracking Software

NL Holdem $0.25+$0.03 (200.00BB)
HJ ($25000)
CO ($25000)
HERO ($33481)
SB ($46051)
BB ($24920)
UTG ($28326)
EP ($90752)
MP ($48929)

Dealt to Hero: A K

UTG Calls $200, EP Folds, MP Calls $200, HJ Folds, CO Calls $200, HERO Raises To $2030, SB Folds, BB Folds, UTG Calls $1800, MP Calls $1800, CO Calls $1800

Hero SPR on Flop: [2.69 effective]
Flop ($8540): A 6 K
UTG Checks, MP Checks, CO Checks, HERO Bets $3599 (Rem. Stack: $27852), UTG Folds, MP Folds, CO Calls $3599 (Rem. Stack: $19371)

Turn ($15738): A 6 K 3
CO Checks, HERO Bets $11331 (Rem. Stack: $16521), CO Calls $11331 (Rem. Stack: $8040)

River ($38400): A 6 K 3 2
CO Checks, HERO Checks

CO shows: Q T

HERO wins: $38400

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop is fine although you probably dont have to go that big but against players like the ones you are playing against it doesnt hurt to go that big especially when you will be in position for the hand.

As soon as the flop hits I already have my wheels turning of I want to get my chips in on the turn and not the river. If I am going against a heart draw the river will either bring the heart and I lose or it will not bring the heart and my opponent will probably fold. So I would try to size something here where I can jam it on the turn without it being too much of an overbet. I would like your sizing a little bigger here but if you got two callers instead of 1 the sizing would be really good it just turned out you got one and no way of knowing how they would react. I think my sizing here would be more in line with half pot or just under it. If everyone was much much deeper (say 200 BBs) then your sizing is good since it will take 3 streets anyway.

On the turn we get the best card we could really hope for so I personally would stick to my plan and jam now. I know it is an overbet but its not a crazy 2 or 3x overbet. Draws might still call here and against these players certain if not most Axs will still call so I would put it in. Would rather have it be less than a pot sized shove but Id also rather get it in now since I would feel if villain is calling for half pot here they might also call it all here (especially since they might have the mentality that so many do of "if I wrong here Ill just click the re enter button").

As played on the river on I am little bit torn but you probably have to go for the bounty here even though it is probably small. Villain might not always check to you a flush here so I would discount a flush a bit. Any Ax that got to this point is calling you.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like how you played this generally. Preflop raise is a touch big but with that many limpers you'll probably still get action. I think it's a bit ambitious to try and get over 100 bb allin on the turn with this hand. You are blocking Ax and Kx, even still is hard to imagine AJ calling such large bets. I think your bet sizing here is better for getting Ax in on the river and folding heart draws on the turn. The only thing I do different is jam river. Maybe he hit the hearts but as previous poster noted, gotta go for that bounty. Ax isn't folding at this point

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Personally I don't think villain is going to be checking on the river with a flush.... especially in micro buyins, they're not going to want to risk having you check behind & will fear they're not going to get value.

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the play was exact I just didn't understand the check on the river, what do you mean... Villain is all in on the river and would you run? when we're waiting for villain to have the flush then I don't see why be afraid on the river

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Your isolation is oversized, but I really like it given the presumably very soft field in a 25c tournament, plus the fact you have a great hand and stacks are 100+ BB deep. Its essentially play money, and these guys are not here to fold as evident by the fact, you made it so large and still got 3 callers.

Flop
I actually like your relatively small sizing here. Apart from the possibility someone could have a flush draw, you completely smash this board, so there is no point in driving people out of the hand just yet. By going a bit on the small side you might get multible callers, and you might induce someone to come over the top and raise, both of which would be a great outcome.

Turn
You got a single caller, and now there is only a little over a pot sized bet left. You also got a very clean turn card not completing a single draw. I think, there are two ways to play this. You can either bet a little less than half pot now, and then stick the rest in on a clean river card, or you can jam.

The advantage of jamming is, it can look bluffy, and it price out all his draws. If he still call, he is making a mathematical mistake, and he gets no payment on the river. The disadvantage of jamming is, it can get some marginal made hands to fold, that are already drawing dead. The worse this player is, the more I like jamming, but my default play would be to bet a little under half pot.

River
The flushdraw did complete now, but I would still jam. He will be getting almost 6:1, and he is not folding any made hand to this price. Yes you will sometimes be beat by a flush or a slowplayed set, but you are still way ahead of his call-off range, so dont panic and freeze, just because there are 3 cards of the same suit on the board.

Results
So he had a busted gutshot draw, and against that particular holding you absolutely got the maximum value. He should clearly have folded on the flop and much more so on the turn, and it just goes to show, how bad some of these players are. Given this read, I do think, turn jamming would have had merits. Maybe he lay down his gutshots to a jam, but he is almost certainly paying you with any top pair and his flushdraws as well.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Your flop sizing depends on how you construct you betting range. If you bet some top pairs then you want to use smaller sizing, so that you can check fold easily. If you bet mainly nuts, then you should use bigger sizing.

I don't like your river check. SPR is so low that you will never fold when villain bets but you will lose a lot of value when villain checks back his AQ or A6.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well played. Gettin value with decent hand.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty early in a low buy-in PKO. Only about 12 hands with a few of these players. Lots of limping and then multiple calls to my 3bet. So I guess a pretty loose bunch here. I opted to check back when the 3rd card to a flush comes out on the river. Was that the right play?

Should I have bet more on the flop? I bet just about 1/2 pot and got called. Figured he had any Ax combo or a draw at this point. Then about 3/4 pot on the turn and got called again so I thought he was for sure on a draw and it might have hit on this river.

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker Tracking Software

NL Holdem $0.25+$0.03 (200.00BB)
HJ ($25000)
CO ($25000)
HERO ($33481)
SB ($46051)
BB ($24920)
UTG ($28326)
EP ($90752)
MP ($48929)

Dealt to Hero: A K

UTG Calls $200, EP Folds, MP Calls $200, HJ Folds, CO Calls $200, HERO Raises To $2030, SB Folds, BB Folds, UTG Calls $1800, MP Calls $1800, CO Calls $1800

Hero SPR on Flop: [2.69 effective]
Flop ($8540): A 6 K
UTG Checks, MP Checks, CO Checks, HERO Bets $3599 (Rem. Stack: $27852), UTG Folds, MP Folds, CO Calls $3599 (Rem. Stack: $19371)

Turn ($15738): A 6 K 3
CO Checks, HERO Bets $11331 (Rem. Stack: $16521), CO Calls $11331 (Rem. Stack: $8040)

River ($38400): A 6 K 3 2
CO Checks, HERO Checks

CO shows: Q T

HERO wins: $38400

Thank you for posting.

As we know our V's are calling light in bounty tournaments the sizing on the flop was too small we are looking to set up a shove on the turn and force gutter draws to fold or pay to chase as well as flush draws.

It does help when we make sizing mistakes for our V to chase and miss. Had you set up the turn shove you get the CO bounty due to their stack size and skill set.

Hope this helps
:):)

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thank you for posting.

As we know our V's are calling light in bounty tournaments the sizing on the flop was too small we are looking to set up a shove on the turn and force gutter draws to fold or pay to chase as well as flush draws.

It does help when we make sizing mistakes for our V to chase and miss. Had you set up the turn shove you get the CO bounty due to their stack size and skill set.

Hope this helps
:):)

Thank you and all of your posts help!

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
River
The flushdraw did complete now, but I would still jam. He will be getting almost 6:1, and he is not folding any made hand to this price. Yes you will sometimes be beat by a flush or a slowplayed set, but you are still way ahead of his call-off range, so dont panic and freeze, just because there are 3 cards of the same suit on the board.

This is a definite leak of mine. Thinking everyone hits their flush draws. I should learn from my own results. I almost NEVER hit my flushes! :laugh:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a definite leak of mine. Thinking everyone hits their flush draws. I should learn from my own results. I almost NEVER hit my flushes! :laugh:

Dont worry you are not alone in making this mistake. I think to a large extend, its psycological. If we bet the river with a non-flush hand on a monotone board, we feel silly, if we get shown a flush, since its such an obvious hand. But its important to get past this feeling and not be afraid to sometimes value own yourself. If you never bet for value and lose to a better hand, you are leaving money on the table :)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands