$.25 NLHE MTT: Check flopped trips on the turn?

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD and Database Software

Standard open with J9s from the CO (25bb stack) and both blinds call. Flopped trips with 2 spades so I bet about 1/3 to target anyone with a spade draw or a pocket pair and one caller continues. K on the turn and I am hoping he does have a draw or floated a K so I bet around 1/2 pot.

Too big or did he only have an Ax and I should just check this turn?

I didn't want to give spades a free card and the BB could have a lot of holdings in this spot. He could easily have check/called with a K on the flop also. QK, KT, 22-77 probably. People in this game call with much worse like any suited A (Fun fact: got busted [13bb shove] when A3o beat AJo after a 3 flopped).

Do you think there was a different bet I could have made to extract more value?

NL Holdem $0.25+$0.02 (7200.00BB)
BTN ($29080)
SB ($253528)
BB ($231605)
UTG ($292266)
HJ ($257577)
HERO ($175014)

Dealt to Hero: J 9

UTG Folds, HJ Folds, HERO Raises To $18720, BTN Folds, SB Calls $14400, BB Calls $10800

Hero SPR on Flop: [2.68 effective]
Flop ($58320): J 5 J
SB Checks, BB Checks, HERO Bets $18180 (Rem. Stack: $138114), SB Folds, BB Calls $18180 (Rem. Stack: $194705)

Turn ($94680): J 5 J K
BB Checks, HERO Bets $50940 (Rem. Stack: $87174), BB Folds

HERO wins: $94680

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you really want to milk it, you could have stuck with you 1/3 pot bet on the flop and turn. He may have been more inclined to peel, or best case, induced to spew more chips.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unless the players to my left are really tight and/or the BB does not defend often I would just fold pre flop here a hand like J9 suited with 24 BBs. Its not a bad hand to play when we and others are deeper but 24 BBs is an awkward stack size to begin with so I would not play this hand and pitch it.

As played on the flop I like the bet and sizing. We monopolize the board of course so there are fewer hands that will call us but small pocket pairs will call a street here and flush draws will call at this price so I like it.

As played on the turn I like betting and dont hate your sizing but it is too large. I think a better sizing would be more like 40k give or take a few k. That way flush draws are still over paying for their draw and one spade, the 9 of spades, is a total gin card for us. It is possible villain could have caught the king here and will call your sizing but you could still go smaller and then plan to jam river depending on the card. All in all not a huge error by any means as villain might have folded to 38k as well here, we will never know

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe the turn bet could have been slightly smaller, but in order to play a big pot, he need to have a real hand, and if he dont, there is nothing, you can do to make him put his chips in. If for instance he peeled you on the flop with 44, then its not like, checking back the turn will make him blast off on the river. He is just going to check-fold, unless he spikes a set and win your entire stack.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, no, we can't check on the turn, because we don't want to give our opponents free cards on the river. In this situation with trips jjj we always should bet for value, because with draw to flush he usually should call bet on the turn for about 50% of the pot. If you won't bet on the turn, you can lose value from this hand, because if opponent doesn't hit the possibility flush on the river, he usually will give up the hand. GL :)

rabman50

rabman50

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In these situations, you need to target a particular range and bet accordingly. If the opponent does not have a hand in that range he will fold, but that does not mean you made an incorrect bet-size. Keep in mind that the king is generally a scare card for the big blind as you have more kings in your range than he would.

K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
C-betting the turn is the right move, he probably have only 1 spade and possibly not even a good one. Not betting the turn is the wrong move bc. if he had good flush draw its still the biggest threat to our trips, not worth the risk.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD and Database Software

Standard open with J9s from the CO (25bb stack) and both blinds call. Flopped trips with 2 spades so I bet about 1/3 to target anyone with a spade draw or a pocket pair and one caller continues. K on the turn and I am hoping he does have a draw or floated a K so I bet around 1/2 pot.

Too big or did he only have an Ax and I should just check this turn?

I didn't want to give spades a free card and the BB could have a lot of holdings in this spot. He could easily have check/called with a K on the flop also. QK, KT, 22-77 probably. People in this game call with much worse like any suited A (Fun fact: got busted [13bb shove] when A3o beat AJo after a 3 flopped).

Do you think there was a different bet I could have made to extract more value?

NL Holdem $0.25+$0.02 (7200.00BB)
BTN ($29080)
SB ($253528)
BB ($231605)
UTG ($292266)
HJ ($257577)
HERO ($175014)

Dealt to Hero: J 9

UTG Folds, HJ Folds, HERO Raises To $18720, BTN Folds, SB Calls $14400, BB Calls $10800

Hero SPR on Flop: [2.68 effective]
Flop ($58320): J 5 J
SB Checks, BB Checks, HERO Bets $18180 (Rem. Stack: $138114), SB Folds, BB Calls $18180 (Rem. Stack: $194705)

Turn ($94680): J 5 J K
BB Checks, HERO Bets $50940 (Rem. Stack: $87174), BB Folds

HERO wins: $94680

Something to think about - I will sometimes invert the sizing you used, because it is unconventional - and it really looks bluffy - so we get might get curious calls on the flop and turn. Bet 1/2 pot or more on the flop - because we will always get a caller who hits top pair, then bet 1/3rd or even less on the turn. Hey why not - such a good price I'll call again, plus - it looks like we have a weak top pair when we bet like this.
Just a thought - from a rookie player who tries new stuff to confuse the opponents.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Something to think about - I will sometimes invert the sizing you used, because it is unconventional - and it really looks bluffy - so we get might get curious calls on the flop and turn. Bet 1/2 pot or more on the flop - because we will always get a caller who hits top pair, then bet 1/3rd or even less on the turn. Hey why not - such a good price I'll call again, plus - it looks like we have a weak top pair when we bet like this.
Just a thought - from a rookie player who tries new stuff to confuse the opponents.

I like the exploitative play you mention. Will have to try it!