$.25 NLHE MTT: $.25 NLHE MTT: Was this fold too tight considering stack size?

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
After folding, I felt like it was too small to not call considering my stack size. What do you think?

NL Holdem $0.25+$0.02 (250.00BB)
SB ($9995)
BB ($5262)
UTG ($17952)
MP ($10559)
HJ ($3565)
HERO ($63646)
BTN ($21863)

Dealt to Hero: A 3

UTG Folds, MP Folds, HJ Calls $250, HERO Folds, BTN Calls $250, SB Folds, BB Checks

Folding too tight?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would definitely isolate the limper with all suited aces from this position. I typically make it 4,5BB to go against a single limper. He was very short, and if he comes back over the top for his 14BB, I just call it off. If he call, the SPR is going to be around 1, and if he check to me, I am jamming nearly all flops putting him to the test for the rest of his chips. You had a massive chip lead here, so an excellent spot to play like a boss :)

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would definitely isolate the limper with all suited aces from this position. I typically make it 4,5BB to go against a single limper. He was very short, and if he comes back over the top for his 14BB, I just call it off. If he call, the SPR is going to be around 1, and if he check to me, I am jamming nearly all flops putting him to the test for the rest of his chips. You had a massive chip lead here, so an excellent spot to play like a boss :)

Yep. Kinda figured I missed an opportunity. Thanks for helping me build confidence that I am starting to make better and smarter decisions even if it's only after the fact. It will start moving into the tables soon!

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think folding is okay here and probably the way I would go as even though we are large stacked here I dont want to potentially give away 14 BBs here or possibly more since we are not closing the action. If you are going to play this hand then you do need to raise large and hope it gets heads up. I hate getting jammed over on then but it would be a bet that you would have to call off assuming the jam is from the initial raiser and not someone after. I like folding here as outside of the flush potential I dont like playing these types of hands post flop. Even when an ace hits you never know if you are ahead or not. These are the micros so villain could have limped with A6 off here or a similar hand. A big mistake some make here is calling which is a really bad move. Its either a raise to a big sizing or a fold and nothing in between.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These are the micros so villain could have limped with A6 off here or a similar hand.

If we get it in against the limper we are paying 14BB to win a pot of 30,5BB, so the break even point in pure chip EV is 45,9%. A3s has 45% equity against A6o on average, so if he has that exact hand and limp-jam, we are essentially making a neutral EV play. And in my experience there will also be times, where the limper fold, or where he get it in with a hand like K high, Q high etc, which we are actually ahead off.

The issue I have with folding here is, that most limpers are incredibly loose. Today I had a 70% VPIP whale on my right. And if I only enter the pot with premium hands, every time he has limped, then I end up playing almost no hands and getting blinded away. This can be sort of ok for the first few blind levels, but as blinds go up, you simply can not sit and fold every hand waiting for aces or kings.

Also raising up limps do a lot of things, which are beneficial for future hands. Maybe he fold, and now he is somewhat discouraged from limping the worst trash, which gives us more opportunities to open raise. Maybe we tilt him, so he make a stupid mistake in a future hand. And maybe we bust him, in which case we also get more chances to open raise without having to deal with a limper.

In this particular case even dubbling him up is sort of beneficial for future play, because now Hero can raise his limps without committing himself, and he have more chips for Hero to win. A lot of people "dont want to gamble with fish". But this is a huge mistake especially if you have position on them. If you win their chips, its job done. And if you lose, now you put chips in the hands of a bad player, whom you have position on. Which is an excellent situation for you, as long as you still have him covered.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If we get it in against the limper we are paying 14BB to win a pot of 30,5BB, so the break even point in pure chip EV is 45,9%. A3s has 45% equity against A6o on average, so if he has that exact hand and limp-jam, we are essentially making a neutral EV play. And in my experience there will also be times, where the limper fold, or where he get it in with a hand like K high, Q high etc, which we are actually ahead off.

The issue I have with folding here is, that most limpers are incredibly loose. Today I had a 70% VPIP whale on my right. And if I only enter the pot with premium hands, every time he has limped, then I end up playing almost no hands and getting blinded away. This can be sort of ok for the first few blind levels, but as blinds go up, you simply can not sit and fold every hand waiting for aces or kings.

Also raising up limps do a lot of things, which are beneficial for future hands. Maybe he fold, and now he is somewhat discouraged from limping the worst trash, which gives us more opportunities to open raise. Maybe we tilt him, so he make a stupid mistake in a future hand. And maybe we bust him, in which case we also get more chances to open raise without having to deal with a limper.

In this particular case even dubbling him up is sort of beneficial for future play, because now Hero can raise his limps without committing himself, and he have more chips for Hero to win. A lot of people "dont want to gamble with fish". But this is a huge mistake especially if you have position on them. If you win their chips, its job done. And if you lose, now you put chips in the hands of a bad player, whom you have position on. Which is an excellent situation for you, as long as you still have him covered.

This is ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ maximizing your ROI

Great advice again

:angel::angel:

Folding in Poker