$.25 NLHE: AJs vs 3 other AI PreFlop callers

T

Tublecain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$.25 NL HE: AJs vs 3 other AI PreFlop callers

A little context: this is mid-late in the tourney and it seems most people are starting to tighten up. I'm handed AJ in UTG and I decide to make a standard 2xBB raise. I then get re-raised AI by the MP players, and I end up with three AIs ahead of me. Should I call or fold? Many thanks for your advice and input.

Code:
[b]Hand Information[/b]
PokerStars - Get $50 Free No Limit, 150 BB (8 handed).
Hand History converter courtesy of [url=http://www.pokerhandreplays.com]pokerhandreplays.com[/url]

[b]Table Information[/b]
Seat: 1 Player 1 ($16930) Small Blind
Seat: 3 Player 3 ($2885) Big Blind
Seat: 4 [color=Red]Hero[/color] ($5890)
Seat: 5 Player 5 ($15720)
Seat: 6 Player 6 ($2980)
Seat: 7 Player 7 ($1965)
Seat: 8 Player 8 ($2720)
Seat: 9 Player 9 ($10405) Dealer
Seat 1Player 1Seat 3Player 3Seat 4[color=Red]Hero[/color]Seat 5Player 5Seat 6Player 6Seat 7Player 7Seat 8Player 8Seat 9Player 9Dealt to [color=Red]Hero[/color]
[img]http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/images/poker_image/AS.png[/img] [img]http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/images/poker_image/JS.png[/img] 

[b]Preflop[/b] (Pot:385)
[i]RAISE[/i] [color=Red]Hero[/color]$300
[i]FOLD[/i] Player 5 
[i]ALL-IN[/i] Player 6 
[i]ALL-IN[/i] Player 7 
[i][/i] Player 6 $920
[i]FOLD[/i] Player 8 
[i]FOLD[/i] Player 9 
[i]FOLD[/i] Player 1 
[i]ALL-IN[/i] Player 3 
[i]?????[/i] [color=Red]Hero[/color]

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It would be good to have some reads but, in general, fold.

You AJs is less than 40% to win against three random hands. If you assume that at least one opponent has an Ace and another has a middle pair (which is a perfectly plausible scenario), that falls to ~25%.

You have ~40 xBB and are under no pressure, so you have no need to risk such a big piece of your stack in unfavourable circumstances.

D

Daleyboy1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold this,I hate AJ with a passion so would probably fold it to one re-raise all in let alone 3. In my oppinion AJ is a weak hand out of position.

Implied Odds3

Implied Odds3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold, You are probably beat and even if you are ahead, theres no need to risk half you're stack on Ace Jack against 3 players where you can easily be outdrawn.

pedroman7

pedroman7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy fold you very likely behind the range of any hand that can call an all in and then the over call is even worse a spot.

ImolAyrton

ImolAyrton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm handed AJ in UTG and I decide to make a standard 2xBB raise.

That's bullshit.. about 3x BB is standard raise and UTG I would atleast rais 3,5 or 4xBB

You're commited here.. You put yourself in a shit situation.. I would have folded AJ preflop in UTG

T

Tublecain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many thanks for the responses. I indeed ended up folding; although I would have ended up hitting my nut flush for the big win. Still, I believe I made the right choice in folding.

To ImolAyrton, I don't thing that the language was necessary, but hey it's a free country. I realize that AJ is a weak hand OOP to many people (myself included), but given the blind levels, timing in the tourney, and attitude change at the table I figured I might be able to play it profitably, but got myself into a tricky situation. In any case, I agree that AJ is not a hand to be played OOP in most situations, and thank you for pointing it out.

However more importantly, once again I'm confused about people's views on PF raises from UTG and EP. I have so far heard from two schools:

The school of thought where an UTG and EP raise should be less than the "standard" raise of 3xBB, i.e. 2xBB or 2.5xBB, since a raise from EP represents a strong hand anyway, and if you do get callers it's better to keep the pot size small when forced to play a hand from OOP. In addition to the fact that an EP raise represents a strong hand in and of itself, and thus need not be huge to make an impact.

And the school of thought that says that an UTG and EP raise should be more than the "standard" raise of 3xBB, such as 4 or even 5xBB so as to eliminate more players, and also because an EP raise represents such a strong hand that you want other players to have to pay to play you.

I'm sure I could make another thread on this (and probably will) but I figured I'd piggy back on some of the comments made here.