Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK here's my real answer. I was both high and tired and spat out both posts before thinking about them.

The payout structure doesn't give the other players more money if I bust (ie there were ~13 players left, the payout rises only at final 9), so the 22 guy's MO shouldn't be checking it down to bust me. I'll check down on the bubble or FT bubble or right before a big payout jump, but not here. It should be either getting agressive and taking down the blinds, and possibly me along with them, or folding and saving his chips for a better opportunity.

He'll be most probably on a coinflip, or in worst case he'll be a 4.5:1 dog vs a bigger pair against me, so he won't really be in that favourable of a situation in the small pot against me.

I prefer folding and getting aggressive with better hands. Players will also see that you're stealing blinds with 22 and won't be giving you as much respect in future steals.

It could go both ways, but I say dump it.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He'll be most probably on a coinflip, or in worst case he'll be a 4.5:1 dog vs a bigger pair against me, so he won't really be in that favourable of a situation in the small pot against me.

A coinflip for 4850 chips, 1650 of which is dead money. That's pretty nice, no?

Even if the payout rises after you're eliminated, checking it down here just seems silly seeing as you're still not a threat even if you double up a few times.

I see your point re. table image but sometimes you just have to play for value and take the hit to your image (mind you, aren't most players raising with 22 when folded to in the CO anyway, especially with antes?).

I love the way you've come up with three different answers Chuck, none of which I agree with. ^^

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bold:
A coinflip for 4850 chips, 1650 of which is dead money. That's pretty nice, no?

Fair enough; he's risking 1200 to win (I counted 3958 actually) with a 50/50 shot. Is that worth the shot to your image though? I love having a tight image at this point with a big stack and just plowing through the blinds and stealing pots. I guess the shot to your image isn't too significant though...

Even if the payout rises after you're eliminated, checking it down here just seems silly seeing as you're still not a threat even if you double up a few times.

I did double up (triple actually), and had enough to steal the blinds once more, and push with ~6K after that (unfortunately lost to AQ), but my point is that I had enough to make a dent in the ~10K stacks - they were for the most part fairly tight too.

I see your point re. table image but sometimes you just have to play for value and take the hit to your image (mind you, aren't most players raising with 22 when folded to in the CO anyway, especially with antes?).

With that type of stack I most probably will, but in this situation, knowing that I'll be showing it to the rest of the table because SB will undoubtedly call, I lean towards folding. Like I said, though, the shot to your image isn't too terrible so maybe it's not significant enough.

I love the way you've come up with three different answers Chuck, none of which I agree with. ^^

Fair enough :p You're a much more experienced player than me, and have most probably done much better than me in the past with MTTs so your take on this is probably better than mine. Still not quite sure what I'd do in the actual situation; just trying to analyze and figure out what's best...I probably end up raising anyways.

vu-doo

vu-doo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
if you could isolate him . raise him all in . if you might have to play it three or four handed lay it down.

loopmeister

loopmeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
here is the problem I have with it, why call and just basicly give your money away one of the 2 all in guys are most likley going to beat you. I would rather see u fold and let other big stack try to take out the all in guy.

so I still stick by folding or raising.

Exactly. You have 2 options:
A) You want to play. In this case you don't want BB to play, so you must raise to get him to fold. Let's say you call, the flop comes 8 T J. BB bets. What do you do? Calling with a view to checking out the hand relies on cooperation from BB, and good ol' economic game theory says that he's not going to do you any favours if he hits on the flop. So if you want to be in the hand, you must raise.
B) You think 22 is rubbish and you don't want to play. Then fold.

Given that BB has a stack that can really hurt you; AND that he is going to have Chuck all-in anyway, why not let him be the guy to do the dirty work? No need to risk any of your chips on a weak pair here.

I voted fold.