$22 NLHE MTT Turbo: Turn top two and get raised big what next?

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2000/4000 Blinds . I have KJ hearts on the button and 3 bet an high jack open of 8k to 27k.folds back to him and he calls Effective stacks hero 55BB high jack 60ishbb. Flop comes Jd 5h 4s villian checks I bet 22k he calls turn brings Ks. Villian checks I bet 46k he raises to 110k. My move? My thinking was that his value range is sets Js 5s 4s or spade semi bluffs with a Jack. 6 7 or A3 A2 shouldn't be calling 3 bet so those are ruled out. Thoughts guys

Last edited:
eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Player profile key

2000/4000 Blinds . I have KJ hearts on the button and 3 bet an high jack open of 8k to 27k.folds back to him and he calls Effective stacks hero 55BB high jack 60ishbb. Flop comes Jd 5h 4s villian checks I bet 22k he calls turn brings Ks. Villian checks I bet 46k he raises to 110k. My move? My thinking was that his value range is sets Js 5s 4s or spade semi bluffs with a Jack. 6 7 or A3 A2 shouldn't be calling 3 bet so those are ruled out. Thoughts guys

Thanks for sharing.

While we play we should be using information to create a player profile. That profile WEAK- TIGHT -TAG -LAG comes from us seeing our opponents actions in earlier hands. We don't always get the information we need but sometimes we get that one piece that can define an action and narrow a range so we can make our best decision.

Ask yourself what profile was our villain and why would you think that?

Also what does your profile look like to your opponent that would make your opponent think you might fold or would call a check raise on the turn.

External criteria can also define actions and narrow ranges.

E.G. Bubble play... blind jump ....etc

Hope this helps.
:)

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to 3bet smaller preflop. Make it like 21k.

As played we've already got a huge portion of our stack in the middle, and top 2 and it's a turbo mtt. I doubt I'm ever folding, and since I want to keep his entire bluffing range in I am never jamming the turn. I'm going to let him pile it in and beat him in the pot on any river card (yes, even when the flush completes).

I really don't think we can rule out 67,A2, A3 completely simply because we 3bet, I would call the 3bet with most of my opening range vs another bigstack but it should definitely show up here a reduced number of the times. We've got boat outs vs all sets. I think he's bluffing or sitting on KJ as well and thinking he just cracked your AA but that's just a hunch.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to 3bet smaller preflop. Make it like 21k.

As played we've already got a huge portion of our stack in the middle, and top 2 and it's a turbo mtt. I doubt I'm ever folding, and since I want to keep his entire bluffing range in I am never jamming the turn. I'm going to let him pile it in and beat him in the pot on any river card (yes, even when the flush completes).

I really don't think we can rule out 67,A2, A3 completely simply because we 3bet, I would call the 3bet with most of my opening range vs another bigstack but it should definitely show up here a reduced number of the times. We've got boat outs vs all sets. I think he's bluffing or sitting on KJ as well and thinking he just cracked your AA but that's just a hunch.
I didn't have a read on this specific player as he had not been at the table very long. As it played out I called the bet to keep his entire range in there and when the river came a 3c he snapped in his remaining stack. Simply couldn't get away from top two and called only to be shown the bad news of pocket 5s. Any advice on how I played each street. Can I get away from this with 50ish k left and still be in tourney or is this a call a big amount of the time with missed spades playing this probably the same way?

Last edited:
K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think folding is a bit too tight in this spot. Definitely sucks when the guy has a set, and 5s or 4s make a ton of sense here. There are a few Jx of spades that also make sense. Some combo draws that make sense. He might even float AK on the flop and raise turn if he's a loose player. Also an outside chance the guy is slowplaying AA(I've been seeing this a lot lately), which you don't block at all. One other note on bluffs, if you're betting flop...he might think the K was a bad card for you after betting flop if you had 10s, QQ, 99, etc and he can push you off a hand with a check raise.

There's enough else going on that I'm never folding here.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think folding is a bit too tight in this spot. Definitely sucks when the guy has a set, and 5s or 4s make a ton of sense here. There are a few Jx of spades that also make sense. Some combo draws that make sense. He might even float AK on the flop and raise turn if he's a loose player. Also an outside chance the guy is slowplaying AA(I've been seeing this a lot lately), which you don't block at all. One other note on bluffs, if you're betting flop...he might think the K was a bad card for you after betting flop if you had 10s, QQ, 99, etc and he can push you off a hand with a check raise.

There's enough else going on that I'm never folding here.

Agree with all of that.