Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Currency
$
No info on the BB since he got at the table for only 5 hands.

1. Should I raise bigger pre-flop? Even push all in?
2. It is wrong from me to think that he doesn't have a Q from the way he played?
3. By c-betting there can I represent a AQ, KQ hand?
I used all my timebank before calling just because he had a $30 bounty on him, and I put him on hands like Ax.

pokerstars, $20 + $2 - Hold'em No Limit - 2,000/4,000 (400 ante) - 7 players

UTG: 185,284 (46 bb)
MP: 55,600 (14 bb)
MP+1 (Hero): 85,231 (21 bb)
CO: 162,242 (41 bb)
BU: 99,312 (25 bb)
SB: 215,564 (54 bb)
BB: 49,118 (12 bb)

Pre-Flop:
(8,800) Hero is MP+1 with A K
2 players fold, Hero raises to 8,400, 3 players fold, BB calls 4,400

Flop: (21,600) 6 Q 2 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets 10,368, BB calls 10,368

Turn: (42,336) 7 (2 players)
BB bets 29,950 (all-in), Hero calls 29,950

River:
(102,236) T (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: 102,236

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think a bet of 2.1 BBs is fine according to your stack. I think all-in with 21 BBs is a little too much.

Hard to tell if you have no read on him. Could also be a case of slow playing his hand. If he hit a set it's a reasonable play to let you bet on this rainbow board but he might have check-raised you in this case.

I think the idea of c-bet is fine. Just the size of 1/2 is a bit large. Usually you bet around 1/3. But not sure if I would called his shove on the turn. Maybe he was afraid of a potential flush or straight draw which is eliminated with the fourth colour/no card between 2-6. You have 6 outs on one street and the bet is 3/4 of the pot. But I can understand the bounty was quite interesting for you. ;)

Were you in the money already?

Edit: As a BB, he could certainly also be playing a 76s hand which would give him two pair on the turn and therefore the shove.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard raise and sizing is fine.

Flop
I would not C-bet this board. If he has a better hand, he is always going to continue, and if he has a worse hand, he is usually going to fold. Yes you can represent top pair by C-betting, but thats not really the point here. The point is, his stack is so short, that if he connected with the board, he is basically committed. So if you get action, it will often be by him check-jamming rather than check-calling, which will force you to fold and give up your equity.

Turn
So he did actually check-call, but then he ran a stop-and-go on the turn, which is kind of the same thing, except he allowed himself to see one more card before committing. I would not call this off. Him calling the flop means, you are behind, because there were no draws at all, and his stack is far to short to go for some fancy out of position float with a hand like 98, which now picked up an OESD.

And when you were behind on the flop, you are still behind now, and drawing to 6 outs at most. His bounty is worth around 40k chips, so you are getting almost 4:1, but thats still not good enough, when the best case scenario is, you are drawing to 6 outs. And of course if he binked it with a hand like 76, you are drawing completely dead, which will also be the case some percentage of the time. And yes he can also have QX. There is no reason at all, why he would not play QX like this.

So I would fold here, but more importantly dont C-bet the flop and create a situation, where you get all better hands to continue and all worse hands to fold. If you had checked back flop, you could call a turn bet now, because then you kept potential bluffs in his range. And then you could make a decision, if he fired again on the river. Most likely fold, but then at least you would have seen all 5 cards for the price of only one bet.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The BB defending here with only 12 BBs should say something here. I would think they should be defending way less wide when they are only 12 BBs compared to if they were deeper. Therefore my thoughts would be that they are trapping me with a big hand (I discount this since its a bounty and they should know that you will call off wider than normal) or have a broadway type hand that is too good to fold in their mind but not good enough to jam. I would think all midling pairs like 77-JJ just get it in here pre flop. With that thought process this board is definitely a check since the Q hits them a lot if we are putting them on a broadway hand often and we block an ace and king. If this hand is played way deeper then on an uncoordinated board like this I think you can check or bet small (1/3rd or even a little less) and take it down. Yes no better hands fold or worse hands (usually) would call but there is equity denial against hands like 109 or any hand they would defend deep with and with only Ace high I dont mind taking it down now just as I wouldnt mind all that much for all folds pre flop and to take the blinds. Again that only applies when we are deeper effective since BB would have a wider calling range. Even in that scenario checking would be good, just saying you could bet in those types of spots. This spot though, with this effective depth and range we should put villain on is a check back.

The turn as played is an easy fold imo since what are you beating other than a bluff. I dont think there is a lot of bluffs here given villain knows that this is a bounty tournament and you are that all their opponents are more inclined to call an all in bet so they should be making them less lightly.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No info on the BB since he got at the table for only 5 hands.

1. Should I raise bigger pre-flop? Even push all in?
2. It is wrong from me to think that he doesn't have a Q from the way he played?
3. By c-betting there can I represent a AQ, KQ hand?
I used all my timebank before calling just because he had a $30 bounty on him, and I put him on hands like Ax.

PokerStars, $20 + $2 - Hold'em No Limit - 2,000/4,000 (400 ante) - 7 players

UTG: 185,284 (46 bb)
MP: 55,600 (14 bb)
MP+1 (Hero): 85,231 (21 bb)
CO: 162,242 (41 bb)
BU: 99,312 (25 bb)
SB: 215,564 (54 bb)
BB: 49,118 (12 bb)

Pre-Flop:
(8,800) Hero is MP+1 with A K
2 players fold, Hero raises to 8,400, 3 players fold, BB calls 4,400

Flop: (21,600) 6 Q 2 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets 10,368, BB calls 10,368

Turn: (42,336) 7 (2 players)
BB bets 29,950 (all-in), Hero calls 29,950

River:
(102,236) T (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: 102,236
Anytime we ask should I have raised bigger it means we are still thinking about NL as a 1 street game -preflop- In order to improve our game we want to have proper strategies on all streets-which requires us to range refine after every action on each street.

Your raise was fine you could min the extra 400 at 21 bb has extra value-
You get called by BB and bet 40% what was your goal with this bet? Is this the best sizing against the BB stack size? Would 25% or 33% make the V's range react the same way as 40? What was your pre-plan when called? We always want to preplan each street

Turn V shoves- Was it part of our plan to call off the turn with A high? What hands are we expecting the V to shove that we are ahead of? What is our equity vs the V's entire possible range?-Equilab is good for this- simple example of v range build you will want to do more than this- V has 2x v has 6x v has 7x V has 76 v has 98 54 what equity do we have vs that? Are we getting that equity when they shove?

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Anytime we ask should I have raised bigger it means we are still thinking about NL as a 1 street game -preflop- In order to improve our game we want to have proper strategies on all streets-which requires us to range refine after every action on each street.

Your raise was fine you could min the extra 400 at 21 bb has extra value-
You get called by BB and bet 40% what was your goal with this bet? Is this the best sizing against the BB stack size? Would 25% or 33% make the V's range react the same way as 40? What was your pre-plan when called? We always want to preplan each street

Turn V shoves- Was it part of our plan to call off the turn with A high? What hands are we expecting the V to shove that we are ahead of? What is our equity vs the V's entire possible range?-Equilab is good for this- simple example of v range build you will want to do more than this- V has 2x v has 6x v has 7x V has 76 v has 98 54 what equity do we have vs that? Are we getting that equity when they shove?
When I bet 40% my goal was to make every hand that did not hit that flop fold or shove on me. Beacause if he shoved then most of the time he hit the flop…if he whould have raised me on the flop I would call him right away. The problem was that he just called and when I saw what he had at showdown (A7o ) I was confused of why he did not fold the flop.
Maybe I read to much into it. But like you guys said in the comments I should not bet that flop….that is one of my leaks that I need to work on it.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I bet 40% my goal was to make every hand that did not hit that flop fold or shove on me. Beacause if he shoved then most of the time he hit the flop…if he whould have raised me on the flop I would call him right away. The problem was that he just called and when I saw what he had at showdown (A7o ) I was confused of why he did not fold the flop.
I dont understand this logic. Why do you want to stack off on the flop against hands, you are behind to? Its almost like, you want to force him to play perfect. Also if he does in fact call with A7, then betting the flop actually becomes a bit better, because then you are getting worse hands to continue, which mean, it moves closer to being a bet for value. But if you want to bet AK high for value, you probably need to go really small like 25% pot to get more hands to continue. And as played still just fold to that turn shove. As you saw, he was not bluffing, and he had you drawing to 3 outs. Dont get married to AK, when you completely missed the board ;)

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I dont understand this logic. Why do you want to stack off on the flop against hands, you are behind to? Its almost like, you want to force him to play perfect. Also if he does in fact call with A7, then betting the flop actually becomes a bit better, because then you are getting worse hands to continue, which mean, it moves closer to being a bet for value. But if you want to bet AK high for value, you probably need to go really small like 25% pot to get more hands to continue. And as played still just fold to that turn shove. As you saw, he was not bluffing, and he had you drawing to 3 outs. Dont get married to AK, when you completely missed the board ;)
Yes you are right in this. This is one of my mistake that I need to improve about myself….Overcommiting is a big gap in my game…I make the same mistake with AQ and AJ also…and sometimes whit KK when an A is on the board and the Villan starts being very aggresive 😔

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Holding AK on that flop you have a hand that has showdown value and can improve.
You don't want to fold out worse hands if you make a cbet.
When you do make a cbet, which worse hands will call what you represent. That is how do they perceive your range.
On such a dry board their calling range has to be extremely tight ie over pairs KK AA, slow played, QQ, or sets, AQ, KQs, JQs, under pairs 22 - JJ are also possible. All these hands crush you.
They could be calling both ends of that range on that flop.
Therefore by cbetting, the AK, it loses it's showdown value and becomes an extremely weak bluff catcher.
You fold out the weak hands, because your bet represents strength, those weak hands you want to continue, and will only be called by the better hands. This obviously is not the the outcome you want.
When Villains continue calling or betting on dry boards, I proceed with great caution, the turn Villain bet was I believe a gotcha moment.

Last edited: