$20 NLHE STT Turbo: $$20 NLHE STT Turbo: Whats your move? I'm 3 betted here with a PP

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$20 NLHE STT Turbo: $$20 NLHE STT Turbo: Whats your move? I'm 3 betted here with a PP

I tried to get a screenshot but I fumbled my phone. I'm not sure I can use the hand converter on a mobile phone. We are 3 handed in a 6 max $20 tournament. Small blind is very passive and not active. Big blind has been more active and aggressive and in some spots overplaying his hands.

Hero (me) BUTTON 1950 chips
Player 2 SMALL BLIND 2900 chips
Villain BIG BLIND 3900 chips

Blinds 100/200

I raise to 550
Small blind folds
Villain instantly raises 2x to 900.

I go in the tank. I tried to get a screen shot but I screwed it up. Timer ran out and it folded my hand, but I wasn't calling or shoving.

I'm sure that most of you will berate me for not open shoving here, but this is a style that works for me. The small blind is not calling $h!t. Big blind is a little aggresive, but has not 3 betted me yet. If he shoved I woulda called. Safe to say he does not have a pocket pair below me. It is possible that AK, AQ, or KQs are in his range here, but I feel that a PP that dominates me here is most likely, so I folded. I don't have the implied odds to try for a set.

Go ahead and scold me, but I'm very confidant playing the short stack and with about 8 big blinds left I do not feel crippled.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Which pocket pair you have makes a big difference here I would not raise here without first knowing what am I doing if I get 3 bet and what am I doing if I get jammed on. 22 here ise very different than 99. I think with the lower pocket pairs you need to decide whether you want to "defend" your raise with them and jam over a 3 bet (would be no reason to just call with this depth and the raise you made). If you are willing to go with them (which I am not saying is wrong) then I think you are better off just jamming 10 BBs pre instead of raising to any amount. For the record I will also say I dont like almost 3x ing on 10 BBs. Either min raise or jam or in certain spots like this one you can actually throw in a limp as well if you are on the button.

You say BB is overplaying some hands and is aggressive. That can be a catch 22 with pocket pairs since our small ones will be flipping with just about anything while even our middle pairs we want to get called by someone too wide. Given what you have wrote, I think I would play this hand as a jam or fold and would be expecting to get called fairly often by the BB so my play would be fold 22-55, jam 66 and better. The difference of course between 55 and 66 is marginal but I feel like there should be a cutoff somewhere.

However, if you or anyone were to tell me that on the button with 10 BBs, even if I think fold equity is not great, that you were shoving any pocket pair I would totally be on board with it and would back it.

As played, once villain raises its all in or nothing. You will not get a fold from your jam but we have a pocket pair of some kind so as I mentioned before I would then jam over that raise with some of the pairs and fold others but I would not have put myself in that spot to begin with given we have such a small stack.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You know already, that the recommended strategy with a stack this short is to open jam rather than put in 25% of your chips and then fold to a raise. But you are adament, that "it works for you", so you dont want to change it. Well thats up to of course, but what are we supposed to say then? With that being said when the opponent clicks it back for almost half your chips, that looks ridiculously strong, so he probably had either AA or KK, and in that case you obviously dodged a bullet.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would probably shove all smaller pocket pairs. And maybe raise 2-2.5x with bigger pairs to trap. You don’t have much room to play otherwise.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know already, that the recommended strategy with a stack this short is to open jam rather than put in 25% of your chips and then fold to a raise. But you are adament, that "it works for you", so you dont want to change it. Well thats up to of course, but what are we supposed to say then? With that being said when the opponent clicks it back for almost half your chips, that looks ridiculously strong, so he probably had either AA or KK, and in that case you obviously dodged a bullet.

Or he simply gets an overly nitty villan to over fold in this spot. He's probably not raising any 2 here, whatever he is raising he is likely calling off a jam 100% of the time here - but if our hero overfolds, we can win the pot without seeing any cards.

Open jamming the btn on a short stack like this is to prevent active opponents pulling moves like this on you - as well as it gets your villans to overfold these spots themselves - KTo is a snap call here from the BB, not many making it tho - I can go on and on with examples, but if we open jam Q9o on the btn here and get Kx or any Ax to fold, we are printing money...plus winning 2.5bb here is a HUGE benefit to us on this stack size. I'm not trying to downplay what the OP prefers to do in this spot - but playing a smart, fundamental and proven poker strategy will net you more $$ in the long run. I'd rather go broke because I went for it and I lost a +ev spot rather than nit it up and get it all in when I have no fold equity at all left.