$20 NLHE MTT Rebuy: Facing large donk bet with top pair and straight draw

C

crossdog90

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing small live $20 rebuy MTT. Rebuy period has recently ended but bubble is still a long way off. Blinds are 1000/2000 with BB ante of 2000.
Hero in EP has 32000 chip stack and is dealt Ad 4d. UTG folds, hero raises to 4500. Folds round to blinds who both call. SB has ~40k chips, BB has ~100k chips.
Flop comes Ac 2c 3s. SB checks, BB bets 10k,what should hero do with 27500 behind?

FYI BB had been playing very loose early on but tightened somewhat as blinds increased.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Either call or go all, and it probably does not matter much, which of the two options, he take. With these stack sizes I dont think, there is any way to get away from top pair here even with kicker problems, and Hero also has a gutshot. Maybe we can call and fold, if a club come on the turn, and he jam, but other than that I am going down with the ship here.

I am kind of on the cusp, if I even open this hand from mid position with these stack sizes. It kind of suck to get jammed on, because we have to fold, and it also kind of suck to get called, because part of the value from suited aces come from implied odds, which require deeper stacks.

So we are only really happy, if everyone fold, and given this is a very low stakes game, I am not sure, that is going to happen very often, when we go for essentially a mini-raise. And we cant go any bigger, because then we are committing to much of our stack.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
I think with 16bb you should play tighter and fold A4s from EP, because you definitely don't want to raise fold with this stack size. If the table is very passive you might limp-call, especially if you in position against raiser. Also, if table is very tight you can shove A4s, you can shove hands like AQ, AK, TT-99 also, so you don't need to worry that you will get called loosely. If table is loose passive, folding is the way to go. Anyway, no matter how you take it, raising it is the worst play here.

On the flop, you don't need to overthink and just make a call here. You have stronger hands to raise, like AK, AA and weaker hands to fold.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that in that case, I would have folded in the pre-flop with A4 suited but even if the player is very loose I fold after the flop I must have it in a range at least Ax and my kicker is too small so that for me is fold

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd probably have folded pre flop. Or, in the alternative, if you're going to raise...maybe raise a little more to try and get the guy that's been tightening up a bit more on the BB to fold? Your raise isn't enough to push BB out unless he has a total dumpster fire of a hand. Any pair, any connector 89 and up and any Ax or Kx he's probably playing there at that price. As played: You're probably outkicked right now and hoping for a 5. It's fold or shove time and I'd shove at this point. If you fold, you're down to what, 13BBs? You shove and he folds, good. You shove he calls and you win....double up. You have top pr with a str8 draw...it's a good as spot as any. IF there's a juicy cash game waiting for those that bust out...and you bust....cash game bound. Shove seems appropriate on all fronts. But, this all could've been avoided by folding pre or raising bigger.

C

crossdog90

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Straight after the hand I knew that I should have just folded pre flop so I agree with everyone on that one!

It's the postflop choice that really stumped me. At the time I saw it as a choice between all in or fold and I still don't think calling would have been a good option. In the end, considering the amount of chips in the pot and the amount I'd have been left with if I folded, I went for all in. I was hoping he was betting with a draw or just trying to be a bully with the big stack, or even that he might have folded something like A6 or A7 considering my PF raise.

However, he did call with As 5s - just about the worst hand he could have showed from my perspective, taking away 4 of the 7 outs I hoped to have. Nothing came on the final 2 streets and I was out.

Thanks again, next time I'll fold pre flop!