$20 NLHE MTT: [live] all in in SB with UTG limping

C

Cokatoo56

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi,

We are quite deep in the tournament, deep enough to try to catch opportunities to make more raises to get the nice blinds calling for me :)
I have 22xBB, UTG limps in. everyone else folds.
I go allin in SB. the vilain (UTG) calls and gets lucky enough to win the hand.
he showed QJs, when I had 67s.
the vilain just won a few hands in a matter of 10min and multiplied his stack by 5 or 6, going allin each time with pocket pair (QQ, TT, 44), and being lucky enough to have several callers each time.
he played tight the whole tournament, whining he has not got any good hands for 2 hours, just hands like K2, K3 etc at best
BB just arrived at the table and had a shorter stack, maybe 8xBB. (he folded here after my allin)

what's your opinion on that play (if any) ?

Jostone6

Jostone6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it would do a mini raise to steal, the limp villain shows a certain weakness, I guess, but if he returned 3bet, fold would be the best option.
and i also believe that a tight player do a limp, may suggest a trap sometimes.

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi,

We are quite deep in the tournament, deep enough to try to catch opportunities to make more raises to get the nice blinds calling for me :)
I have 22xBB, UTG limps in. everyone else folds.
I go allin in SB. the vilain (UTG) calls and gets lucky enough to win the hand.
he showed QJs, when I had 67s.
the vilain just won a few hands in a matter of 10min and multiplied his stack by 5 or 6, going allin each time with pocket pair (QQ, TT, 44), and being lucky enough to have several callers each time.
he played tight the whole tournament, whining he has not got any good hands for 2 hours, just hands like K2, K3 etc at best
BB just arrived at the table and had a shorter stack, maybe 8xBB. (he folded here after my allin)

what's your opinion on that play (if any) ?

How many bb did the villain have, exactly? Were there antes?

If not, 22 bb is a little too deep to be pulling moves like this, I think. You probably would be better off still making a smaller raise and folding to resistance.

While he's had a nice run over the last few hands, every individual hand is mutually exclusive, so there is always a chance that he's trapping anyhow.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
With a speculative hand like this in the SB and a caller from UTG I would be more inclined to just limp and see if I hit the flop or not, and be ready to cut and run if I didn't hit the flop hard.

I think min-raising is fine with this if it's just blind vs. blind, but that's too many chips to shove all in against a much larger stack UTG (if that's what he had) because he won't be hurt that much if he loses, so his calling range will be wider than you would like.

I would also ignore complaints about being card dead, because poker players lie and the villain may be doing this to try and make people think that he's shoving air.

C

Cokatoo56

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your replies ! :)

How many bb did the villain have, exactly? Were there antes?
he went from an avg stack of 15 to 20xBB to somewhere around 100xBB in a matter of 10 minutes only with all the allin moves he won.

no antes.

With a speculative hand like this in the SB and a caller from UTG I would be more inclined to just limp and see if I hit the flop or not, and be ready to cut and run if I didn't hit the flop hard.

I think min-raising is fine with this if it's just blind vs. blind, but that's too many chips to shove all in against a much larger stack UTG (if that's what he had) because he won't be hurt that much if he loses, so his calling range will be wider than you would like.

I would also ignore complaints about being card dead, because poker players lie and the villain may be doing this to try and make people think that he's shoving air.

yeah, having observed how he had been playing for the past 2 over hours, I'm quite sure of what went through his mind at that moment was : "I have no idea to what extent my stack may be hurt if i loose that pot" (i'm sure he had no idea how many BB he had), "but I know I have a lot of chips now, and a lot of chips minus a bit of chips is still a lot of chips....and let's gamble".

I didn't play well that hand as you said.

Now, I don't know, if i were him, even so deep stack, I would most probably not have called such a big raise. i think i showed a pretty tight image during that tournament.
or such player maybe don't really pay attention at such things as "player image". he's an old man who seems to join the game more to spend a good time out than anything else.
I would prob. have limped or raised with QJs, but it's very loose to call a shove allin 22xBB after a limp and not exactly +EV. Don't you think so ?

MTCashman

MTCashman

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you would think after he just built his stack up he would have no problem folding the QJ some players are just greedy

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're planning to push him off, you're better just limping and then shoving on the flop. However as the BB is shorter, you might just want to fold since he could go all-in regardless.

Organize a Home Poker Game