J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NL HE: Top pair mid kicker after attempting blind steal

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 32/3/7

Ok game is down to 6 people left. I was in the SB and the action folded around to me. I never play K8o but I figured this was a good opportunity to try to steal the big blind. Blinds were 30/60 so I made a raise to 3x the big blind (too small?). BB was fairly passive preflop and when he called I didn't expect him to have anything top caliber. I was very surprised when he shoved all-in after my bet on the flop. I think he either:

1) Had nothing and thought i was just making a second attempt to steal i.e. he thought I had nothing so I would have to fold.
2) Had KJ, K10, K9, K8, K7, K6, K5, K4, K3 or even K2. Either way, 5 of these hands have me crushed, 1 has us tied, and 4 have me as the favorite. I guess it's also possible that considering his aggression, he made this move with something like A7, but considering the size of my bet I figured he might be expecting a call, so I thought this unlikely.

This situation was tricky for me because I hardly ever play hands where I have a mid-kicker, so I'm usually not faced with these decisions.

What would you all do in this situation?

Stacks:

CO with 2435
BTN with 4010
SB with 1605
BB with 1610
UTG with 2095
MP with 1745

Blinds:
Site: Full Tilt Poker
Dealt to SB:8♠ K♥
Preflop:
4 players fold.
Hero raises to 180
BB calls [120]
Total folds this street: 4
Potsize: 360
Flop:
7♥ K♣ 3♠
Hero bets [300]
BB raises to 1,430, and is all in
?

hunterT1000

hunterT1000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seen as though his PFR is so low do you not think an over pair is possible? I dont use tracking software so not the best person to interpret those numbers

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seen as though his PFR is so low do you not think an over pair is possible? I dont use tracking software so not the best person to interpret those numbers

Do you mean an overpair to the 7's? I assume you do otherwise I'd have to put him on aces. It's possible, but I would more expect a call rather than a straight shove. His aggression postflop meant that there was such a wide range of hands he could have had, so I was puzzled by the all-in shove.

If you did mean to say he could have had aces, I would have expected a reraise preflop from aces but you're right, his PFR is low. It's difficult for me to take those numbers very strictly though because in SnG tournaments they are based on so few hands that I usually just use them as general guidelines.

Numbuh 0ne

Numbuh 0ne

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems like letting this one go is best, depending on your read you could make a call but making a stand here with k8 seems marginal way to early to push with that.

ImolAyrton

ImolAyrton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Difficult decision. I would not through away my tournament on this hand. Just Fold.

hunterT1000

hunterT1000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you mean an overpair to the 7's? I assume you do otherwise I'd have to put him on aces. It's possible, but I would more expect a call rather than a straight shove. His aggression postflop meant that there was such a wide range of hands he could have had, so I was puzzled by the all-in shove.

If you did mean to say he could have had aces, I would have expected a reraise preflop from aces but you're right, his PFR is low. It's difficult for me to take those numbers very strictly though because in SnG tournaments they are based on so few hands that I usually just use them as general guidelines.

Ye didnt think that one through. My point is with such a low pfr he could be massive here. You can fold and still have 1100 chips, plenty while the blinds are so low.