$2 NLHE STT Turbo: Turning a straight against a calling station, heads-up

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NL HE STT Turbo: Turning a straight against a calling station, heads-up

Villain either had very little respect for my bets or he was just a calling station in general. I had tried cbetting flops a couple times only to get called by hands like T3o with no pair or big draws. I was down to 2000 chips and then I started shoving preflop. He folded all the way until I was at an even chip count with him, so I started playing regular again. I was pretty much raising on every button I had, and I wound up with this beauty. Did I play it right? I could have bet more on the turn, but when I bluff I like to bet 1/2 pot, and he saw me bet 1/2 pot as a bluff before. So, I like to make my value bets the same to throw off villain.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 200/400 Blinds (2 handed) - Full-Tilt Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com
BB (t6690)
Hero (SB) (t6810)
Hero's M: 11.35
Preflop: Hero is SB with 5
spade.gif
, 7
club.gif

Hero bets t800, BB calls t400
Flop: (t1600) 8
diamond.gif
, 9
heart.gif
, K
club.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks
Turn: (t1600) 6
diamond.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t800, BB calls t800
River: (t3200) 9
diamond.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t2000, BB raises to t4000, Hero raises to t5210 (All-In), BB calls t1090 (All-In)
Total pot: t13380

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see anything out of the ordinary here. As an aside, have you seen this chart? http://www.holdemresources.net/hr/sngs/hune.html

This chart gives some direction for pre-flop shoving ranges, in terms of # of bb's. It's far from absolute, especially against villain such as this one.

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see anything out of the ordinary here. As an aside, have you seen this chart? http://www.holdemresources.net/hr/sngs/hune.html

This chart gives some direction for pre-flop shoving ranges, in terms of # of bb's. It's far from absolute, especially against villain such as this one.

Let me make sure I understand the chart- for all the hands with 20+, does that mean it's ok to shove those hands preflop even if you have 20+ BBs? And then each of the other hands correspond to how many BBs you need to have to shove them profitably?

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your opponent is playing "optimally", then yes. But that's rarely the case, now is it, :p

The chart also doesn't consider the long term cEV of just raising in certain situations. It only considers the options of pushing and folding. So when you're relatively deep stacked, it may be best to just raise a more standard amount (that's advice that I should probably learn myself).

M

madison79

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think main thing is not to try and bluff a bad player. Value bet stations to the hills and just check down weak hands. With guys like this it's kind of a spot where you need to just wait for a good hand. Weird how he wouldn't call shoves but he might have had bad run of cards.
In heads up try using position and 3 betting preflop to gain an edge in chips. Try not to let stations limp and take you off small pots.
Against an aggro player push/fold chart might be more optimal.
Cheers and gl.