$2 NLHE STT Turbo: KJo in the BB with a 44J flop

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NL HE STT Turbo: KJo in the BB with a 44J flop

Think I might have played this hand pretty badly. Villain was 25/3. In an earlier hand, he called a raise with KTo in the SB and called a bet on the flop when he had no draw, just overs. He hit a K on the turn and continued to call down bets to see he was beat by AA.

I was pretty sure my hand was best on the flop. Yes it's possible he had AJo or was slowplaying aces, but I felt I was ahead. I checked because I had a tight image (my stats were 8/6) up til that point and since I was in the BB, it was likely that I would face at least a small bet here to edge me out. My opponent also had an aggression factor of 4.00, if that helps.

He fires out, and I get my chance to check-raise. I probably should have check-raised more, but my thinking was that only two cards in the deck really scared me- the Q and the A. He might have a lower J and I'd have to worry about 2 pair, but again, my plan was to check-raise here for value and then shove turn.

Terrible card on the turn- the Q. I didn't see much point in betting here. If he had a Q, he would call and if he didn't he would fold. So I told myself I would check/call so as to induce bluffs or maybe even get a hand like JTo to think they are best and shove here. He bets out, and calling this bet commits me so shoving here is really the same as calling. I will post what villain had later, but for now, how should I have played this? Looking back, the check-raise on the flop was probably foolish, but it really is uncanny how many players fire into you if you enter on the BB and check the flop (and with good reason since I fold there 90% of the time). I was pretty confident I could get a bet out of him and I didn't expect the hand to go past there. The second issue regards what I should do on the turn. Should I worry here about protecting my hand further/getting value from Jx or is my check reasonable?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 80/160 Blinds (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com
UTG (t2425)
MP (t5200)
CO (t1660)
Button (t2040)
SB (t465)
Hero (BB) (t1710)
Hero's M: 7.12
Preflop: Hero is BB with K
club.gif
, J
spade.gif

3 folds, Button calls t160, 1 fold, Hero checks
Flop: (t400) 4
spade.gif
, 4
heart.gif
, J
club.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets t320, Hero raises to t650, Button calls t330
Turn: (t1700) Q
club.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets t480, Hero raises to t900 (All-In), Button calls t420
River: (t3500) A
diamond.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)
Total pot: t3500

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably just shove the flop... theres like 700 in the middle when he bets and you have around 1500, shoving is fine here.

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played, would you shove turn or check/call? Villain had ATo and if he in fact had checked instead of bet then he could have gotten to the river for free and then shoved while he was ahead. It made me wonder if I should shove turn to protect my hand more...

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TBH i like your flop line, its such a dry board, min raising can be ok. as said, your only worried about an ace, maybe a queen.. If the intention was to milk the guy, then i really like your line.

I think i like checking to an aggressive donk like this, if we shove we may not get called by his entire range, if we check, he probably fires more often than not.

I might have check/called flop, check/raised turn, or something like that. or bet flop, looking to get raised, i dunno, depends what i thought that guy was like at the time.

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TBH i like your flop line, its such a dry board, min raising can be ok. as said, your only worried about an ace, maybe a queen.. If the intention was to milk the guy, then i really like your line.

I think i like checking to an aggressive donk like this, if we shove we may not get called by his entire range, if we check, he probably fires more often than not.

I might have check/called flop, check/raised turn, or something like that. or bet flop, looking to get raised, i dunno, depends what i thought that guy was like at the time.

So how should I feel about the Q? If I check/called flop I could still fold turn and have a decent amount of chips, but how often can I give my opponent credit for a Q? Is this just read dependent? The same situation applies when say I have TT, flop is 3 5 9, villain cbets, I call, and turn is some kind of broadway. I always don't know when to give them credit for it or not...

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So how should I feel about the Q? If I check/called flop I could still fold turn and have a decent amount of chips, but how often can I give my opponent credit for a Q? Is this just read dependent? The same situation applies when say I have TT, flop is 3 5 9, villain cbets, I call, and turn is some kind of broadway. I always don't know when to give them credit for it or not...

After we check raise the flop, i don't think we can ever consider folding, especially to a spewy donk like this. The ace would be the only worry for me, but even then, im likely to stack off with it.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On this flop, I like a shove based on stack sizes. You'd probably get action from mid-pairs, too, so I wouldn't worry a lot about folding out worse.