$2 NLHE STT Turbo: AJo in the BTN mid game

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NL HE STT Turbo: AJo in the BTN mid game

Villain was 18/6 and I would say tight (had not seen him showdown a hand yet). In the BB though, he could have anything. In these situations I usually put players on any ace and ship to see them flip A6o and stuff like that. AQo or AKo would suck, but were unlikely compared to all the other weak aces they could be holding. Standard play here?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 50/100 Blinds (7 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com
MP2 (t2880)
CO (t1065)
Hero (Button) (t1335)
SB (t1375)
BB (t1745)
UTG (t3745)
MP1 (t1355)
Hero's M: 8.90
Preflop: Hero is Button with A
club.gif
, J
heart.gif

4 folds, Hero bets t250, 1 fold, BB calls t150
Flop: (t550) 10
spade.gif
, Q
club.gif
, A
heart.gif
(2 players)
BB bets t300, Hero raises to t1085 (All-In), BB calls t785
Turn: (t2720) 4
heart.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)
River: (t2720) 10
heart.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)
Total pot: t2720

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OOO that's tough. You have a top pair but at this point, you can't feel too comfortable especially when tight villain calls like that oop. What I personally would've done is shove pre-flop because you're quite short-stacked and stealing blinds is crucial during middle stage to accumulate chips and survive. I think button raise was weak because with that raise, you're pretty much giving very good odds for your villain to call and AJ does horrible post-flop. But at the same time, if you raise little bit higher, you're pretty much pot-committed in future streets. By shoving, you get no action but stealing blinds is very crucial and you seek for your opponents to fold. I'm basing this on SnG Wizard quiz where they teach me to shove/fold. Just from shove/folding, You can profit from solely stealing blinds. This obviously is a bad idea in cash games but for sngs, I personally believe it's about survival.

Anyways, put that pre-flop approach of mine aside since what's done is done. On the flop, villain donk-bets out 300 for 1/3 of your chipstack. All you have is a top pair. I highly doubt that Villain will fold to your shove because he's pot committed(of course, i know he didn't fold bcz u have turn/river up there but I would've assumed he'll call to the shove). Only question that goes is how much does he like his hand. If you fold in this spot, will you be severely crippled? It's possibility that he flopped a straight and betting out to protect his hand. I doubt that he has A-rag because tight players rarely flat call with ace-rags oop. Even flopped two pairs. Given those thoughts, I think i would've folded and wait for better spot. I'm glad you didn't post the results because I personally have no solid answer to this as I'm not an expert in sngs. This is just how I would approach it and consider folding if I was faced with this situation. However, others may give better explanation.

Here's what pokerstove says.

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

140,580 games 0.016 secs 8,786,250 games/sec

Board: Ah Qc Ts
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 61.398% 56.61% 04.79% 79577 6736.50 { AcJh }
Hand 1: 38.602% 33.81% 04.79% 47530 6736.50 { 66+, A5s+, K9s+, Q9s+, J9s+, ATo+, KTo+, QTo+ }

So even if you shoved, I would say standard because your equity was 61% and had a gutshot draw. I would've folded but shove here is standard given those odds by Pokerstove and the stack u've got.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The main issue for me is working out what the villain would flat us with preflop.

Stack sizes aren't right for implied odds hands like small-medium pairs or suited connectors to be calling, but then this is a $2 game and not everybody in those understands implied odds.

It's possible they've slowplayed QQ+ on us, JJ-99 you've gotta figure should just three-bet shove preflop. Sooted Ax hands and JT+ type hands are the other possibility for flatting us I guess, depending on the villain.

So... we're ahead of A2-A9, 22-99 (unlikely though they are IMO), JT, QJ, KQ, JJ and KK but we're behind TT, QQ, AA, AK, AQ, AT, QT and KJ. Given the stack sizes and the amount in the pot I probably feel like I have to shove this but I'm expecting to be beat a reasonable chunk of the time.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Feels pretty standard, probably another spot where I'm not super happy about getting it in though. There's probably enough Ax, KQ, JT, etc in his range to jam. I would think that some of the draw-ier hands would c/r this flop, I'm not sure how much of his donking range is those draws. Interested to see the results.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ouch. His donk bet in this spot is pretty great imo. A c/r narrows his range and gives you a chance to get away from the hand, whereas a donk bet allows you to make the mistake of raising all-in.

Top 10 Games