$2 NLHE STT Turbo: A8s in the CO, 7BBs left

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NL HE STT Turbo: A8s in the CO, 7BBs left

In the past I would have folded here, but I think I need to capitalize on these situations more. The table was pretty tight (only 1 player eliminated w/ 100/200 blinds) and I hadn't seen any crazy calls except if players were severely SS (<5BBs). I felt like my fold equity was pretty good, my hand was strong enough to make this shove, and that I was desperate enough to need to make it here.

While we are on the topic, what range of hands would you be shoving here given the circumstances?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 100/200 Blinds (8 handed) - Full-Tilt Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com
SB (t1395)
BB (t3585)
UTG (t2165)
UTG+1 (t2180)
MP1 (t440)
MP2 (t910)
Hero (CO) (t1445)
Button (t1380)
Hero's M: 4.82
Preflop: Hero is CO with 8
diamond.gif
, A
diamond.gif

4 folds, Hero bets t1445 (All-In), Button calls t1380 (All-In), 2 folds
Flop: (t3060) K
spade.gif
, 10
spade.gif
, Q
heart.gif
(2 players, 2 all-in)
Turn: (t3060) 5
heart.gif
(2 players, 2 all-in)
River: (t3060) K
heart.gif
(2 players, 2 all-in)
Total pot: t3060

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a lot wider than A8s, probably some decent broadway, any pair.

Good time to bring up 'the bunching effect'

Basically it's something you want to keep in mind when shoving on a full table.

Since the players before you folded, we can assume that they wouldnt fold hands like AK AQ etc, so, that means that the button, SB and BB are more likely to have those types of cards..

For the most part you don't really have to worry about it, but its something to keep in mind.

If you ever play on pokerstars, or a site that inclues antes. then once the antes are in play you can wider your range further in this spot. Like a LOT wider. if this was on pokerstars with an ante, id be nearly shoving anytwo..

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a lot wider than A8s, probably some decent broadway, any pair.

Good time to bring up 'the bunching effect'

Basically it's something you want to keep in mind when shoving on a full table.

Since the players before you folded, we can assume that they wouldnt fold hands like AK AQ etc, so, that means that the button, SB and BB are more likely to have those types of cards..

For the most part you don't really have to worry about it, but its something to keep in mind.

If you ever play on pokerstars, or a site that inclues antes. then once the antes are in play you can wider your range further in this spot. Like a LOT wider. if this was on pokerstars with an ante, id be nearly shoving anytwo..

What about hands like A9o, A5s, KJo, or JTs? Do those qualify? These are the hands that I really have trouble with, the middle zone "iffy" ones, I can never tell if they are worth shoving in spots like this.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in the CO, with your stack ill ship A9o and A8s. Probably not KJo but i dont know, JT and A5s no for sure

drgilbert4

drgilbert4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played this correctly. You are already a desperado! You don't have a playable stack with the blinds at 100/200. You have to shove with about any two cards before you have to post another blind... especially any ace. You are running out of chips and are in danger of blinding out of the game. Your stack is already low enough that you have to try to double up. Since this opponent is shortstacked as well, he may call you with any two cards hoping to have live cards that can double him up with a good flop. When you are lower than 10 big blinds, you have to gamble to try to get a playable stack. It is shove or fold when you get to this point. Chances are you won't catch a better hand than A8 by the time the blinds reach you again. If you post the blinds one more time, you are extremely short and will need a miracle to come back and win. A8 suited is a perfect shove and hope for a fold or a double up from your opponent. You are not too bad of a dog to any random hand. A8 suited is good enough to shove here. You don't want to wait until you are UTG and have to shove with a worse hand than this.

8 players still in a 2.25 after the blinds have reached 100/200... WOW!