$2 NLHE STT Turbo: A8o 3 BBs facing shove, 5 players still in

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NL HE STT Turbo: A8o 3 BBs facing shove, 5 players still in

Villain had not been overly loose but everyone had been shoving to stay alive. Blinds were 300/600, so I felt like I call here and pray for 22-77 or KQs.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 300/600 Blinds (5 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com
UTG (t2240)
MP (t2230)
Hero (Button) (t1890)
SB (t2895)
BB (t4245)
Hero's M: 2.10
Preflop: Hero is Button with 8
diamond.gif
, A
club.gif

1 fold, MP bets t2230 (All-In), Hero calls t1890 (All-In), 2 folds
Flop: (t4680) J
spade.gif
, 2
club.gif
, 9
spade.gif
(2 players, 2 all-in)
Turn: (t4680) Q
club.gif
(2 players, 2 all-in)
River: (t4680) 9
club.gif
(2 players, 2 all-in)
Total pot: t4680

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With the reads given, calling is really bad. Even if the guy is shoving 100% of hands here it's a prety easy fold. This is due to the fact that there is two players to act behind you. If you were closing the action, thats anohter story. I don't even think A8 is ahead of his range here. with reads given, i highly doubt it is.

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With the reads given, calling is really bad. Even if the guy is shoving 100% of hands here it's a prety easy fold. This is due to the fact that there is two players to act behind you. If you were closing the action, thats anohter story. I don't even think A8 is ahead of his range here. with reads given, i highly doubt it is.

These "miniature stack situations" have been happening alot lately so I'm trying to get a better grasp on how to handle them. If I fold here, I have two more hands before the blinds hit. Based on previous hands I've posted, is it safe to say that generally, the best strategy with 3 BBs is to wait for the blind and be heads-up? Or could I shove a hand like A2o or K6o from early position as long as I'm first one in?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, when you play the turbos, you will commonly find yourself working with stacks under 5bb's. It's important to not feel compelled to make a bad move. Like, in this situation, you probably felt like, "oh well it's ace 8 lets just go with it cos im shortstacked" Instead of actually thinking, is Ace 8 ahead of his range here, what position am i in, who is left to act behind me.

Your probably shoving a pretty wide range if it's folded to you in the CO, and a slightly tighter range if in UTG.

This is where SNG wiz is really helpful, as you can simply punch in these numbers, put opponants on decent ranges, then move your positions at the table and see how it affects the range you shove with.