$2 NLHE STT: A3o in BB facing characteristic min raise from big stack in SB

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NL HE STT: A3o in BB facing characteristic min raise from big stack in SB

I was ITM already and big stack was a loose canon. He had been min-raising like crazy, especially on my blind. Was this a good spot to make a stand?

Villain stats: 54/33/AFq64

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 200/400 Blinds (3 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com
SB (t7310)
Hero (BB) (t3370)
Button (t2820)
Hero's M: 5.62
Preflop: Hero is BB with A
heart.gif
, 3
club.gif

1 fold, SB bets t800, Hero raises to t3370 (All-In)

jernest

jernest

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you "COULD" have waited for a better spot, but it is not terrible and you need to make a move very soon. However he is more comfortable calling down with a lot more because he is chip leader ITM already. After your shove he needs to call 2570 for a 4170 pot. His worst case scenario, he will be second in chips, for calling you and losing with KTo or some such.

I think I like your A3 to be suited, a PP or two broadway cards better in this spot. But I think your shove is just fine given chip leaders recent actions.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well I think this is an a shove almost all the time. you have 7 blinds left if you fold you want to get all your chips in with this hand against a villain like that you arent dominating anything but you will be slightly ahead of most of his range. sometimes he will flip a bigger A or a pp and your in bad shape but waiting for a better spot 3-handed could be a death sentence.

My only concern is the min raise was this normal for this villain I see it all the time a laggie big stack pushing the table around all of the suddenly limps or min raises (ALERT!!).

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well after pokerstoving A3o against 35 percent hand range it does seem that A3 is slightly behind. Maybe this is a leak in my game. Just seems like your not getting many better spots than this 3 handed and 7 blinds left with antes also. Anyone else have a take on this?

or hell maybe I am misusing pokerstove?

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He had been min-raising alot, his range was def real wide as I had seem him flip Qx type hands. I did feel like I was up against K8 or something like that most of the time here, which is why I went for it. Villain had Q5s and I made a full house by the river.

Whether or not the play was correct, I'm still not entirely sure. Since I was ITM and fairly certain I was at least a slight favorite, I made the play. There was also at least a small chance he was minraising with absolute air (74o or something like that) and that he would still fold.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Easy shove given the read on the villain, IMO.

We're obviously getting called by better hands than ours (I don't think he folds things like A7 here) but I think a decent chunk of the time he'll either be folding or giving us action with things like QT/KT+.

T

The Spillage

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not so sure. I think this is a fold. My free trial of Sit n Go Wiz has expired (and I've not got around to actually buying it yet) but I would imagine that IF I still had it - it would be telling me to fold here, even if you've tagged your opponent as loose. There will be better spots to hit this guy. As it is, you should be concentrating your aggression on your fellow short stack and only calling off the big stack with premium hands (yes, you can probably widen your range slightly to account for his looseness - but not as far as A3).

I might be wrong -there are better ICM proponents...

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually would really like to plug this into SnG Wiz to see the results.

drgilbert4

drgilbert4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm inclined to try to win the tourney, so I would probably shove if he's been raising every hand. It looks like he's only raising 1 of 3 hands. That is pretty active in the early stages of the STT, but in end game terms with a chip lead like he has, it isn't really out of control. He may be raising your blind because you are not defending. You really can't 3bet here without shoving. I think he's using you for his steal spot here, and I would probably shove with any ace. If you win the hand, you double up and gain his respect. You've been playing tight, so if you double here you will be able to steal from them almost at will for a few revolutions. Once you are in the money in these STT's, unless you have a big lead, you are going to have to gamble to win.