$2 NLHE STT: Is this a correct shove?

T

Teranu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often find myself pushing allin even in the early stages of a SNG, but only in strict scenarios nothing random.

Attachments

• shove.jpg
    shove.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 9
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
50BB is to much to 3-bet shove over a min-raise. You are not getting a good risk-reward, and you are pretty much never getting called by anything, which AQ is ahead of. So just make it 180-200 and go from there. If the opponent then jam or 4-bet in some way, AQ can often be folded, since most people are only doing that with AK or a big pair.

T

Teranu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Same scenario this time i didn't shoved instead i reraised, villain calls. I place a continuation bet on the flop, villain shoves, i fold. Lost 20% of my stack.

This is the scenario i'm trying to avoid and i'm most afraid of, that's why i'm shoving preflop.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 12
rabman50

rabman50

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a common scenario. Just because it didn't work out this time does not mean that you made a mistake. You still have a decent stack. Fold and get ready to play the next hand.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Same scenario this time i didn't shoved instead i reraised, villain calls. I place a continuation bet on the flop, villain shoves, i fold. Lost 20% of my stack. This is the scenario i'm trying to avoid and i'm most afraid of, that's why i'm shoving preflop.

Being "afraid" of postflop play is not the way to become a strong winning poker player, so this is definitely something, you need to work on. And while losing 20% of your stack sucks, it sucks a whole lot more to lose 100% of your stack, when your preflop jam with AQ is snapped off by KK, which then hold. As for the hand you shared, it was not a great texture to C-bet, because its very coordinated, and it connects with a lot of the opponents range. So you could just check and make decisions depending on, what he then does. Not auto C-betting in bad spots like this is one way to improve your postflop strategy.

Also your preflop 3-bet seems to have been very small, since the pot was just a little over 11BB. And this is not great either. You want to go to around 3,5-4X from out of position, because otherwise you price people in to call with their entire range. And then you are basically just playing a more bloated pot out of position with a hand, which miss the flop 2 out of 3 times.

You can also simply call with AQ, since you are in BB and closing action. Thats a little on the passive side, but chips are power in tournament poker. So attacking the chipleader out of position is a bit like seeking out the biggest and meanest looking boy in the schoolyeard and provoke him to a fight. Not the smartest thing to do, if you are skinny little kid yourself, so in this exact spot I would just call preflop and then go from there :)

T

Teranu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Makes sense, i realised i tend to shove a lot because people in the low stakes likes to see the flop with poor cards. I often see my 5-6BB bet called with trash cards just for the sake of gambling, and players limping with AA-KK. Because of the wide range people are calling with, i'm never sure how to act postflop, exception when i hit the nuts.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Makes sense, i realised i tend to shove a lot because people in the low stakes likes to see the flop with poor cards. I often see my 5-6BB bet called with trash cards just for the sake of gambling, and players limping with AA-KK. Because of the wide range people are calling with, i'm never sure how to act postflop, exception when i hit the nuts.

But this is something, you need to work on. The way, you react, is like saying "hey Villain please play perfect, because I dont want to have to make any difficult decisions later". But difficult decisions is where, we earn our payday as poker players. So rather than try to avoid them, work on getting better at them.

There is also a mental part of this, which is learning to accept, that its ok to lose to bad cards. If someone called that 5-6BB bet with trash and flopped bottom pair, while you ended up at showdown with A high, then thats fine. You just let them win a small pot, and then you move on to the next hand. And sooner or later the reward comes, when you actually have a hand, because then you can often get their entire stack.