$2 NLHE MTT Turbo: Nut flush on paired board blind vs blind

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand is from a 2$ 18-45 man turbo SnG on Stars. 10 players left on 2 tables, 7 places pay. Villain is the chip leader, Hero second chip leader. No particular reads or dynamics with Villain. HUD showing VPIP 25 / PFR 12 over 51 hands. Would you fold/call/jam facing the river raise? Any comments about previous action leading up to this?

pokerstars, $1.82 + $0.18 - Hold'em No Limit - 200/400 (50 ante) - 5 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/hand-converter.php

UTG: 2,691 (7 bb)
CO: 4,032 (10 bb)
BU: 6,286 (16 bb)
SB (Hero): 9,140 (23 bb)
BB: 9,293 (23 bb)

Pre-Flop: (850) Hero is SB with 4♣ A♣
3 players fold, Hero calls 200, BB checks

Flop: (1,050) 5♥ J♣ 3♣ (2 players)
Hero bets 420, BB calls 420

Turn: (1,890) 5♣ (2 players)
Hero bets 756, BB calls 756

River: (3,402) 6♠ (2 players)
Hero bets 1,361, BB raises to 5,200, Hero?

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand is from a 2$ 18-45 man turbo SnG on Stars. 10 players left on 2 tables, 7 places pay. Villain is the chip leader, Hero second chip leader. No particular reads or dynamics with Villain. HUD showing VPIP 25 / PFR 12 over 51 hands. Would you fold/call/jam facing the river raise? Any comments about previous action leading up to this?

PokerStars, $1.82 + $0.18 - Hold'em No Limit - 200/400 (50 ante) - 5 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/hand-converter.php

UTG: 2,691 (7 bb)
CO: 4,032 (10 bb)
BU: 6,286 (16 bb)
SB (Hero): 9,140 (23 bb)
BB: 9,293 (23 bb)

Pre-Flop: (850) Hero is SB with 4♣ A♣
3 players fold, Hero calls 200, BB checks

Flop: (1,050) 5♥ J♣ 3♣ (2 players)
Hero bets 420, BB calls 420

Turn: (1,890) 5♣ (2 players)
Hero bets 756, BB calls 756

River: (3,402) 6♠ (2 players)
Hero bets 1,361, BB raises to 5,200, Hero?

I don't think i could fold this, but would just call, if the ITM so near, if he has the full, you still stay in the game with 5-6BB.

20BB+ i almost never call the BB preflop from SB, because i won't know where i stand in the pot, can put anythin in his hand, and in the end often leads to re-raise like this, and i have no idea what is in his hand, full, straight, another flush or set maybe just a J or bluff...?? as he just called your previous streets, can be really anything, 5handed, it won't be full often, i would say 42, 47, 5x or bluff. i really don't like - and try to avoid, reduce - to get involved in limped pots, except everybody under 10BB at the table

and otherwise under 20BB any Ax suited rarely call for me, prefer to allin steal blinds, depends on opponents.

For me vs. a same stack sized guy, it is preflop bet, flop bet, and after check/call, for many reasons, but in this way, they pay off better my relatively strong hands on micros/lows, rarely happens, that after a flop bet call and turn check from me won't generate a steal attempt by any random cards + i don't face with re-raises on river like this, if it is a pot overbet allin, that's more often bluff, than the nuts, so happy to call most of the time - again depends on opponent. + the situation: the ITM, FT near, what for not many players take enough attention + looks like everybody 20BB or less, the monster vs. monster situations will be allins, probably it is a good double up situation, but i rarely force it without nuts in ITM bubble - especially if i have top3/higher stack than average (prefer to keep it, and use for blind steals vs smaller stacks), like this i won less, but have higher ITM%, so the swings smaller

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
and otherwise under 20BB any Ax suited rarely call for me, prefer to allin steal blinds, depends on opponents. For me vs. a same stack sized guy, it is preflop bet, flop bet, and after check/call

I think 23BB is way to much to risk on an open shove, especially in this sitaution where its the two chip leaders confronting each other near the bubble. We both have enough chips already to cash, so the whole situation is extremely awkward for me having him on my direct left. I think open raising small is even worse, because then I just bloat the pot out of position in a situation, where the last thing, I want, is to play a big pot.

I can honestly see just giving him a walk here and hope, someone busts, so the final table arrive, before the blinds come around again. As played I can also see shifting into check-call mode on the turn, crazy as it might sound. It can induce bluffs and lighter calls on the river, and it prevents this extremely annoying situation, where I go bet, bet, bet and then get raised on the river on a paired board.

I ended up calling it off, because I felt, I was just to high in my range to fold. It was a very low buyin, and some players at a limit like this might overplay their hand, if they have a lower flush. I also think, two pair and sets would have raised the flop a lot of the time, and 66 probably fold on the turn. So the only boat, that really made sense, was 65. Unfortunately 65 is exactly, what he ended up having, so I lost the hand. Anyways as you said, my 5 remaining blinds or so kept me in the tournament, and dispite getting my stack crippled in this hand I managed to take 5. place, which is at least decent.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Counting combos I think this is a pretty straight forward call. As you stated the only two hands I could legitimately put him on was 6/5 or J/5.

To add to what has already been mentioned - for me I will ALWAYS open raise if I'm going to play a hand. Even if I'm going to open a junk hand - which I do not consider your hand a junk hand, but if I'm getting frisky when I see the blinds are over folding - and I'm opening loose from LP with J/7s, K/8s, 5/4s Q/Jo, I am always raising at least min-raising.
Some might think this is burning chips, but when opponents are over folding to raises - it shows them strength when even opening 2bb.
Additionally - I will do the same with JJ+ so we are not telegraphing our hands.
I will also change up and 3x open the same junk range after I have opened JJ+ to a 3x raise.

However - I still do not believe we get any information from our villains from min raising as opposed to limping.
Opponents defend so - so wide in the bb - the only way to get proper information from them is to raise large - (3x) to see if they are froggy to come along with weak suited cards, or if they are confident with their hand - they will 3bet or jam on us.
I think that is really the only read we can generate from our (standard) bb villains.

But I'm not opening 3x unless I have a station in the blinds that I can exploit - and then when I do this - and collect chips - I will follow up and 3x open a range of hands - not just premiums.
Likewise - I will open 2x with premiums and marginal playable stuff.

The one time I will limp in the SB is when I have a player who is 3betting often. I will do this with my entire range including premiums - and I will not 4bet ever.
We want the aggressive 3better to think he is in his dominant position - to extract as many chips as possible.

Thanks for sharing FD - very interesting hand.

Full Flush Poker