$2 NLHE MTT Rebuy: Pair + FD, calling station shoves turn

ManicLombax

ManicLombax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 65/6/36

$2 rebuy tournament, pre-addon. Villain is a pretty bad calling station. He could have flopped a set, but figured I was not drawing dead on the flop and getting great odds to call his 3-bet. I thought about 4-bet jamming but his line looks pretty strong for a passive player. Fold turn? If he's got an overpair I have maybe 30% here.

Revolution Gaming Network - $2+$0.2|50/100 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 8 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

SB: 5,961.00
BB: 4,255.00
UTG: 9,949.00
UTG+1: 3,170.00
MP: 900.00
MP+1: 2,490.00
Hero (CO): 5,110.00
BTN: 4,030.00

SB posts SB 50.00, BB posts BB 100.00

Pre Flop: (150.00) Hero has 6:diamond: 9:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 220.00, fold, SB calls 170.00, BB calls 120.00

Flop: (660.00, 3 players) Q:diamond: 2:diamond: 3:spade:
SB bets 100.00, fold, Hero raises to 530.00, SB raises to 960.00, Hero calls 430.00

Turn: (2580.00, 2 players) 9:spade:
SB raises to 4,781.00 and is all-in

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just fold pre, this is opening way too wide.

I don't agree with raising the flop either. I think call flop against this particular villain is best.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also agree with folding preflop.
But as played you have to fold because a person this passive doesn't go all-in on a bluff, if you had decided to call this, tell us what your reason was for calling.

ManicLombax

ManicLombax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bet 530 on the flop because he donked out for 100, which looked weak. Was figuring a semi-bluff might take it down. I decided to call his click-back because it was laying me good odds to the flush draw.

I did end up calling when I added the pair on the turn, figuring I had about 1/3 of the deck if he had AA/KK (which he might play this way). Even if he had a set/random two pair I would still have outs to the flush. Bad call though, I wasn't getting the right odds. If I put him on AA,KK,QQ,33,22,Q3,Q2 I only have 26%. It was higher in my head in the moment. :)

As far as why I opened this in the first place, it was pretty much exactly to get where I was on the flop. Heads up in position vs. the fish. I'm not always opening 96s, but might have been ok here.

Thanks for the responses. Bad hand on my part all around I think.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think opening is fine, but i'd raise larger to like 270ish.

The reason i don't mind opening is the fact we have a wide calling fish in the SB, So playing position against him is kinda ideal. The reason i'd raise larger than normal is because the fish will call, so i want more money in the pot preflop against him. Also discourages action from the BB a little more i would assume. But yeah overall i think it's a perfect spot to raise.

As played i'd likely just call the flop and see what happens on the turn.

When he donks out like that they usually have something they are quite willing to call a raise with, sometimes top pair, a weaker pair or pretty much any sort of draw, so i'd rather just take a turn and see what happens and let the pot size stay a little smaller.

thebigdawg

thebigdawg

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

The reason i don't mind opening is the fact we have a wide calling fish in the SB, So playing position against him is kinda ideal. The reason i'd raise larger than normal is because the fish will call, so i want more money in the pot preflop against him. Also discourages action from the BB a little more i would assume. But yeah overall i think it's a perfect spot to raise.

As played i'd likely just call the flop and see what happens on the turn.

When he donks out like that they usually have something they are quite willing to call a raise with, sometimes top pair, a weaker pair or pretty much any sort of draw, so i'd rather just take a turn and see what happens and let the pot size stay a little smaller.

^This^

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop still looks way thin to me. Id rather have bigger cards against stations. Stacks arent really deep enough to capitalize on the drawing ability of 69s.

Now fold the turn. I probably dont raise the flop, but its no sin.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

The reason i don't mind opening is the fact we have a wide calling fish in the SB, So playing position against him is kinda ideal. The reason i'd raise larger than normal is because the fish will call, so i want more money in the pot preflop against him. Also discourages action from the BB a little more i would assume. But yeah overall i think it's a perfect spot to raise..

I don't think we're deep enough to be playing around with hands like this. Also it's micro stakes so not like we're going to struggle to find better spots. Another thing is if we're going to play hands like this profitably we need to be able to create fairly accurate ranges and identity super thin value spots. Most people playing micros won't be able to do this so whilst I'm not saying this spot is not +ev to raise I doubt it's +ev for a lot of people which is why I'm advocating folding.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we're still in the rebuy period right?

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At this point, are you willing to rebuy, and if so, how many times? And has the villain rebought or given any indication that he's willing?

These questions partially relate to my earlier one about bumping it to 530 on the flop. How likely was that to get a fold from someone with unspent rebuys, and vs someone who had no bullets left? In either case, did you realize the pot odds you were giving him?

And as for you, if you have rebuys left, it affects how speculative you can be in your play.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely play rebuys so I could be wrong but I certainly don't see that as justification for taking lines that aren't optimal and I'm not sure why it's being brought into it.

ManicLombax

ManicLombax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the point of bringing up rebuys is your opponents may be willing to stack off very lightly if you hit your hand, so implied odds are generally higher.

Now that same logic definitely argues for my flatting the flop instead of raising. My line was definitely sub-optimal here.

ManicLombax

ManicLombax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At this point, are you willing to rebuy, and if so, how many times? And has the villain rebought or given any indication that he's willing?

These questions partially relate to my earlier one about bumping it to 530 on the flop. How likely was that to get a fold from someone with unspent rebuys, and vs someone who had no bullets left? In either case, did you realize the pot odds you were giving him?

And as for you, if you have rebuys left, it affects how speculative you can be in your play.

I'm willing to rebuy, though probably won't at this point as I think starting stack is only 2000, and at this blind level I'd already be fairly short. No idea if SB would rebuy.

Absolutely right bumping to 530 at this point is probably not going to get a fold often. I figured someone who leads for 100 into this pot probably doesn't really understand pot odds, so might have been able to get a fold sometimes, but considering player type, rebuys, and his stack size, he probably feels pretty comfortable calling with just about anything.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the point of bringing up rebuys is your opponents may be willing to stack off very lightly if you hit your hand, so implied odds are generally higher.

Now that same logic definitely argues for my flatting the flop instead of raising. My line was definitely sub-optimal here.
Also, in a rebuy, if your table has significantly more chips on it, you will be at an advantage to other tables. So Ive heard that you should look to push as many break even spots as possible in a rebuy.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Also, in a rebuy, if your table has significantly more chips on it, you will be at an advantage to other tables. So Ive heard that you should look to push as many break even spots as possible in a rebuy.

This essentially. I wasn't really sure myself as i really don't play that many rebuys or at all lately :D. I brang it up because i thought it was important/had an impact on the hand in question.

I rarely play rebuys so I could be wrong but I certainly don't see that as justification for taking lines that aren't optimal and I'm not sure why it's being brought into it.

I definitely agree that it depends on skill level a lot here to whether this is +EV or whatever. But i'm not really folding too much in a rebuy, i like to get chips in often and build a stack. With a guy who calls a lot in the blinds, i really think it's a fine spot to open, unless you are totally useless postflop (agree with C9 however that i'd much rather something with high card strength against these guys)

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm not going to rebuy, it seems to add even more weight to folding pre-.

Re. having a lot of chips on your table (but not in your stack) because you've rebought a number of times, this is an approach some top players have been known to take. I recall that Negreanu once rebought over 20 times in a wsop event - so many times that he had to final table to break even, which he did fwiw. But one key to note here is that this works better if you know your table is later in the break order so that you'll be at the same table as your chips and thus able to win them back.