$2 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: AQs pre-FT Fold or Call?

vox1er

vox1er

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SB: 49,319 (20.5 bb)
Hero (BB): 46,978 (19.6 bb)
UTG: 100,543 (47.5 bb)
MP: 53,666 (8 bb)
CO: 95,086 (34.7 bb)
BTN: 43,786 (27.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q
spade.gif
A
spade.gif

2 folds, CO raises to 7,200, BTN folds, SB raises to 49,079 and is all-in, 2 folds
OR is a loose aggressive and SB is a medium reg of this level.

What's the best move with AQs from BB?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Fold to SB's shove range.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a call. Sometimes you can fold if the SB never bluff here.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would definitely call that with 19 bigs. You gotta take a chance even if its flip to chip up

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah just gotta get it in. we are ahead of both of their ranges and will likely need to win a flip or hold but we will triple so we are compensated.

zekubiki

zekubiki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's hard decision, but you should call, imho.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Now tell us how SB had an amazing pocket pair or suited premium connector and crushed the board.

B

berryryan2488

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call

I would simply call. Losing 7200 is minimal risk to see a flop. Depending on opponents range, maybe a shove can happen if raises up until that hand have been frequent on his end

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I ran this in ICMzer to see how profitable this is. It is +5.03BB if everyone is playing nash ranges which is unlikley in a $2 tournament.

The CO is supposed to be opening 27% of hands, the SB is supposed to shove 17% of hands and you are supposed to call 9.5% of hands.

But even if we tighten up the the ranges to something more likely, CO range to 21% (suited Ax, pairs and broadways) and tighen up the SB shoveing range to 9.7% (77+ AT+, KQ) then AQs still makes +2.49BB (99+, AQ+)

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I ran this in ICMzer to see how profitable this is. It is +5.03BB if everyone is playing nash ranges which is unlikley in a $2 tournament.

The CO is supposed to be opening 27% of hands, the SB is supposed to shove 17% of hands and you are supposed to call 9.5% of hands.

But even if we tighten up the the ranges to something more likely, CO range to 21% (suited Ax, pairs and broadways) and tighen up the SB shoveing range to 9.7% (77+ AT+, KQ) then AQs still makes +2.49BB (99+, AQ+)
Nice post. I guess this shows my tournament weakness. I was leaning fold as I assume it's likely that one of them is sharing outs and blocking our equity while the other has a poker pair. The title is misleading though this is not deepstacked poker at 20 BB. If it was heads up I'd say rip it in but three ways I hate to run into AK or a poket pair and a smaller Ace blocking my AQ. Can you run your equity / EV calc giving one of them a PP and one of them Ax?

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, If I gave the CO (22+, Ax) and the SB (ATo+, A9s+, 22++) then AQs is +2.17BB

If I only give the SB 22+ then AQs is +0.5BB. If If give the SB 77+ and AK then it is -1.79bb

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, If I gave the CO (22+, Ax) and the SB (ATo+, A9s+, 22++) then AQs is +2.17BB

If I only give the SB 22+ then AQs is +0.5BB. If If give the SB 77+ and AK then it is -1.79bb

Thanks, this seems to fall in line with my gut feel where it could be slightly +EV or -EV depending on holdings. If they both have Ax in their range then we should probably go for it but given the likely hood that one has a pair and we have only an ante invested and a short stack I think it's also fine to wait for a spot to be first in or at least heads up. Putting our tournament on the line in the -1.8 BB case would suck. If we had 10 BB left we have to take the shot but at 20 BB I can go either way.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is only a an incredibly tight range where it is not profitable, I would need to have a very specific info to not take this spot every time and be very happy about it.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks, this seems to fall in line with my gut feel where it could be slightly +EV or -EV depending on holdings. If they both have Ax in their range then we should probably go for it but given the likely hood that one has a pair and we have only an ante invested and a short stack I think it's also fine to wait for a spot to be first in or at least heads up. Putting our tournament on the line in the -1.8 BB case would suck. If we had 10 BB left we have to take the shot but at 20 BB I can go either way.

This is losing thinking. You only arrive at this decision by creating the worst case scenario and assuming that’s what you are facing. You need to look at their total ranges...not just which matchup of hands would crush you worst.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is losing thinking. You only arrive at this decision by creating the worst case scenario and assuming that’s what you are facing. You need to look at their total ranges...not just which matchup of hands would crush you worst.
I am looking at total ranges. Obviously there are many worse scenarios than facing a PP and an Ax. Given we hold an Ace what are the chances they both actually have Ax though? I'd swag less than 20%. Why is it worst case to think about how 3 ranges interact? Given that, what else is everyone shoving with? Isn't the most likely answer a PP? This is literally the most common spot I run into in a 3 way all in although my tournament experience is admittedly limited. My only point was that if one of the Vs blocks an Ace or a Q and the other holds a PP it's not as much of a super snap slam dunk jam is many are painting it to be. But maybe my limited sample isn't indicative of what is most common. Just sharing food for thought. At any rate, it's more constructive to disagree with my ranges and provide your own ranges based on experience or math rather than just call my ranging "loosing thinking".

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually I read OP a bit wrong. For some reason I thought CO was shoving and SB was re-shoving. CO is described as LAG so his open range is much wider than Ax, 22+.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am looking at total ranges. Obviously there are many worse scenarios than facing a PP and an Ax. Given we hold an Ace what are the chances they both actually have Ax though? I'd swag less than 20%. Why is it worst case to think about how 3 ranges interact? Given that, what else is everyone shoving with? Isn't the most likely answer a PP? This is literally the most common spot I run into in a 3 way all in although my tournament experience is admittedly limited. My only point was that if one of the Vs blocks an Ace or a Q and the other holds a PP it's not as much of a super snap slam dunk jam is many are painting it to be. But maybe my limited sample isn't indicative of what is most common. Just sharing food for thought. At any rate, it's more constructive to disagree with my ranges and provide your own ranges based on experience or math rather than just call my ranging "loosing thinking".

My point is that you only arrive at -1.8bb by restricting 1 range to a PP and restricting the other range to Ax. That is not looking at total ranges...that is looking at contrived ranges.

Gab did a calculation that looks at total ranges and it is +EV. Significantly +EV unless they are the nittiest of nits. I didn’t run the calc but he knows his stuff I trust the ranges he input

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
So are we just assuming the involved players' ranges are the average range for players in their position and therefore concluding +EV based on that? No consideration for depth or the tendencies of the players themselves. A loose agro CO that raises and gets shoved on by a reg SB who has probably been bullied by the CO for a while? Plus the SB is still at 20bb so not really at the point where they will be push-shoving.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also our rejam for less looks really strong.

CO could reasonably fold a lot of hands that are doing well vs us such as 22-77.

Then we have created dead money.

SB probably doesn’t have trash but it rates to be behind AQ.

OP describes CO as loose and SB as a reg. If I’m SB I’m shoving Ax suited and A9+ and KQ and pocket pairs and probably KJs.

We are in good shape vs that range potentially with dead money

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So are we just assuming the involved players' ranges are the average range for players in their position and therefore concluding +EV based on that?

No, we start with the nash ranges given the actions in the hands to get a baseline if everyone played perfectly. Then I adjust the ranges to something I think the players involved would play. Then I keep adjusting the ranges to see how wide or tight I can adjust the ranges to make a play + or - EV.

Plus the SB is still at 20bb so not really at the point where they will be push-shoving.

This seems like a fairly standard rejam spot with less than 10x the initial raise. If the CO is opening very wide then the SB can rejam very wide.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why is it worst case to think about how 3 ranges interact?

The ICMzer calculation does take into account how the ranges interact so if you tighten them further because you have an ace that will make the ranges overly tight.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

So are we just assuming the involved players' ranges are the average range for players in their position and therefore concluding +EV based on that? No consideration for depth or the tendencies of the players themselves. A loose agro CO that raises and gets shoved on by a reg SB who has probably been bullied by the CO for a while? Plus the SB is still at 20bb so not really at the point where they will be push-shoving.

I think what might be going on here is simply not understanding how thorough and useful the tools we have available to us are. Tools like ICMizer, PioSOlver and PokerStove absolutely account for card removal when showing how ranges interact and the resulting equities.

I'm sorry if my phrase "losing thinking" offended you. It is not meant to suggest you are a loser....it is how my friends and I who talk a lot of poker describe a situation where we identify a leak not in our friend's technical game play but in the way they are thinking about the spot.

In this instance, I think the way you are approaching building the ranges is a much bigger problem than whether or not you actually guess the ranges correctly. guessing ranges is whatever, you learn with experience and nobody is every truly correct all the time. It's not an exact science and it's not necessary to be precise. But the way you approach it should be done systematically.

When you say something like "We hold an ace so how likely are they to hold an Ace as well?" illustrates that perhaps you just don't understand how powerful these tools are. For instance when you tell ICMizer you hold AsQs it reduces available combinations of AK from 16 to 12. it does the same thing with AJ and AT. it does not remove those hands from the range, it simply diminishes them in relation to other hands. same with our Qs. other Qx remains in the ranges just less of it....so available combinations of QQ in villain's range goes from 6 to 3....but QQ is still very much there. as is AJ.

So when you ask Gab to instead run the calc with just pocket pairs because you don't think it's likely villain has Ax because we hold Ax....you are overengineering the spot to the point that you will inhibit your learning and ability to think about these spots in the most +EV way (winning thinking).

much like in math class....setting up the problem correctly is often harder than just solving it.

Same with guessing ranges. the NASH ranges it spits out are absolutely based on position and every remaining stack size. This is a precice range. Now, exploitively we can adjust that based on what we think of our opponent "he is looser or tighter than NASH here and by this much" that's all guesswork and nobody gets that part correct all the time we just do our best estimations. But HOW we think about the situation before we arrive at the part where we are changing ranges absolutely matters. If we let you jump to the bottom and start removing things from ranges without understanding the top part of what I wrote...we aren't doing you any favors.

Last edited:
Alaercio da Rocha

Alaercio da Rocha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would give up this hand with 20bbs versus 2 vilos because probably after the 7,200 increase in CO it would probably pay the SB all-in and the HERO calling would have to get into a 20-pound spell that could wait for another opportunity. THIS IS MY OPINION!

Folding in Poker