$2 NLHE MTT: Calling the river? Pretty early stage

C

chakalaka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

it's unknown guy for me, totally. But two things I know for sure: we have probably wide ranges than we could be on utg vs mp; and it's micro, eveything is possible :D but being serious, I opening, pretty easy, he calls. I bet here, also easy, he raises. I decided to call, I'm ahead. Actually amazing turn, call. Pretty damn good river and also call. What is really confussing for me: is it very similar for others positions, for example utg vs mp? Maybe more traps like aces, kings, queens?

So:
1) Are you calling the river in general?
2) Are you calling the river utg vs co?

big up

Attachments

• qj.jpg
    qj.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 24
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I cant read the action from this tiny little picture. Cant you find the hand history and post it instead?

C

chakalaka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ekhm, I don't know how to do this in GGpoker :( I just download this hand.

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ekhm, I don't know how to do this in GGpoker :( I just download this hand.
You can use Poker Craft at gg poker and load all your hand history and then work with your base and also you can paste your screanshot of certain hand using guazo and it will be visiable for averybody .This image is hard to read!

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you can't upload the hand, maybe just type in what happened and what the action was.

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

it's unknown guy for me, totally. But two things I know for sure: we have probably wide ranges than we could be on utg vs mp; and it's micro, eveything is possible :D but being serious, I opening, pretty easy, he calls. I bet here, also easy, he raises. I decided to call, I'm ahead. Actually amazing turn, call. Pretty damn good river and also call. What is really confussing for me: is it very similar for others positions, for example utg vs mp? Maybe more traps like aces, kings, queens?

So:
1) Are you calling the river in general?
2) Are you calling the river utg vs co?

big up

This is a tough one. Either one of them could have a 3 or a 2. If my stack is big enough so I can afford to pay the raise and it wouldn't hurt me that bad, I would consider the call. Otherwise I wouldn't risk too much. The preflop action is important in this situation to try and figure out what they might have. If they called a 3 bet or more pre flop, I would say the chances one of them has a full house are pretty slim.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seems like we are not going to get an actual hand history or a replay, so I will try to analyse the hand based on Heros information.

Preflop

"I opening, pretty easy, he calls."

Apparently Hero was UTG in an 8-handed game, and then QJo is a pretty easy fold. I would open QJs, but bad offsuit broadways are burning money, when you play them from early position. So fundamentally this whole hand should not even have happened.

Flop

"I bet here, also easy"

I would also C-bet, and I would go around half pot. If you want to play more fundamentally sound poker however, then top pair meh kicker is probably a hand, you should put into your check-call range, when you opened UTG, and someone called behind. Its not good enough to bet all 3 streets for value, so against aggressive opponents it tends to play better as a bluff catcher.

"he raises. I decided to call,"

When he raise, I would not be lowing it, but unless it was unusually large, I would also peel one off.

"I'm ahead"

Not really. You are close to flipping against draws, and you lose to all the made hands, he is raising for value. So its not a particularly great spot, and there is even an argument for just getting out now especially against someone, who is a bit of the passive side. Against more straight forward opponents, one can argue, that you already got the information, you needed, by betting into him and inducing a raise.

Turn

"Actually amazing turn, call."

Its a good turn card in the sense, there is now only 5 combos of flopped sets rather than 7, and all the draws missed. However he could also be raising with hands like QQ, AJ or KJ, and you can have all those hands as well, plus sets and aces and kings. So you have a lot of better hands to defend with, and I would just let this one go now.

River

"Pretty damn good river and also call."

Having gotten so far I guess, I would also cry call the river. Now there is only 3 combos of flopped sets, and all the draws still missed. However you also still lose to his QQ, AJ, KJ, and your hand is really only a bluff catcher. There might even be some odd chance, he has A2 or A3 and turned it into a bluff on the flop for no good reason and then binked into a full house on the river. So it depends on the price, he gave you, and what reads you had on him. But I dont think, you should ever have gotten this far in the hand, so in that sense it does not really matter, what you do on the river.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Traps or whatever, often it is like this - especially on micro -, yesterday I just run into one, that was similar flop, from the button he just limped, called the blind, SB called, I was the BB with QQ so raised around 4-4,5 BB, button calls, SB folds.
Flop 277, i raise 50-55% pot, I get a call, turn 4, i raise again 50% (almost allin), river J, put in the 6-8 left BB, he calls, and shows AA.... what the heck??? rarely see it, and I think, especially from button it is a total mistake, but things like this happens.

Most of the cases it is similar like your example, some players, just can't fold anything, or they make huge risk to build huge stack in early phase of the tourneys, and for that purpose, it is not an unusual, it is familiar for me, no surprise at all.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry guys for delay, I didn't expect that image will be not good enough. Try under this link: https://gg.gl/1ki7

Ok that really helped a lot :)

Preflop
So you were not UTG, you were actually BTN, and then of course QJo is a totally fine and standard open. From this position its not even bottom of your range.

Flop
Standard C-bet, he made a rather small raise, standard call.

Turn
He bet less than half pot on a total brick, very standard call again.

River
As we already discussed another total brick, and now he overbet jam, which is very polarizing. He is representing a full house, when he pick this sizing, but which full houses would he play this way? JJ should 3-bet preflop, and a 2 or 3 should check-call the flop. So I guess, he is saying, he have quads??? Its very difficult to have quads, so I think, you did a great job sniffing out his bullshit bluff :)