$2 NLHE MTT: $$2 NLHE MTT: flopped 2 pair....fold?

S

Sori

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand occured about a half hour into a MTT with about 150 entrants. I didn't have any information on the villian, who had me covered. I had doubled up a couple times already and held about 4k chips and the villian had around 5k.

I'm in the big blind with A4s.

UTG+2 calls, button calls, small blind calls, I check.

Flop: A 4 10 rainbow

Small Blind checks, I throw out a pot sized bet and UTG+2 goes all-in, I????

My thinking was that it was early enough in the tournament where there could be many people still in that were shoving any pair of aces. If I am crushed going up against a set, at least I have a shot at the nuts if another Ace hits? Is that something I should even be considering when deciding if I should call?

So I guess I thought they could have any ace, possibly a royal straight draw, set, or 2 pair. I made the call, what do you think?

twoturntablez

twoturntablez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most times I make this kind of call I lose. A 10= crushed. 10 10= crushed. 44 AA unlikely, I always hope im ahead and put the guy on AK/AQ but I think this is a losing scenario. You have a lot of chips and this guy has no reason to think you are a pushover, if you have nothing on him. This is MHO, and put it out there looking forward to others opinions.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Could you post a hand history instead of typing your recollection? It would make it a whole lot easier to provide any useful insight if we knew things like stack sizes, position, blinds and such.

As it stands: Snap call. He's most often shoving less than 2 pair here. Or one would think without knowing stack sizes.

What's a "royal straight draw"? If you mean a "broadway straight draw" (I assume you didn't mean royal flush draw as you said it was a rainbow flop) then you are long ahead of that draw.

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Royal straight is a royal flush draw Down-under so I guess that's what He/She meant.

I think I call, but I'm not great at tourny play. What beats you now AA, AT, TT, 44 I would expect a raise from UTG with AA so I discount that, 44 is unlikely so that leaves AT and TT as possiblities, still why call from EP? I'd put him on the draw KQ, KJ, QJ perhaps suited, then again he could be playing an Ax hand, lots of hands that can beat you. Without any read on the guy I'd probably guess he's on an Ax hand and call.

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
someone like baudib1 could tell you better what the correct decision is mathmatically.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure how you can get away from this, this guy's a retard obviously so he can have a retarded range here. You're a favorite over a range of sets, AT and AJ-AK and that totally ignores the possibility of some random spazz with other hands, I'd call.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Snap call to me.
Half an hour in a MTT, so blinds are not high yet.
Lots of people, especially high-stacked, tend to limp with whatever trash they have, so a very wide range which includes every Ax.
Sure, pocket 10 is possible,so is A10 ,but they're just a tiny part of his range I assume.
As baudib already mentioned, you're a favorite over his range.

S

Sori

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will try and post hand histories in the future. (Although I thought since I mentioned position and stack sizes at the beginning that it would be sufficient).

Thanks everyone for posting your opinions, I felt as if there were way too many possible hands in the opp. hands that I had beat, so I thought I had to make the call. The guy turned over A 10 so it didn't work out this time, but I think that many times somebody with Ax shoves in the early stages of these MTT and I come out in great position.

Thanks again!

S

Sori

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, I think a good portion of the people who flopped a set may just call or put in a small raise rather than just shoving right there. (If i originally bet a pair of aces I would not have called the all-in). This is another reason I made the call and really was pretty confident I was going up against a draw, a pair of aces, or a two-pair.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Snap call. UTG+2 is a retard.

-Phil Ivey27

-Phil Ivey27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Snap call, if he has A10 or 44 good for him.

Sometimes making a fold even when you're most likely ahead is correct.. If you're good enough to outplay them later on and pick up better spots. In this scenario early in the tournament, where you should be going for the final table, it is a call you should be very happy to make.

Folding in Poker