$2.50 NL HE MTT: What do you do on this river shove in this spot?

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Currency
$
I have a huge stack after picking off 2 bluffs in a row a few minutes before this hand from 2 other players. Don't know much about this player except he is was pretty active, LAG-type player from Ukraine.

NL Holdem $2.27+$0.23 (1200.00BB)
UTG (137.3BBs) [VPIP: 90% | PFR: 0% | AGG: 8.3% | hands: 10]
MP (96.4BBs) [VPIP: 5.3% | PFR: 0.8% | AGG: 4.5% | Hands: 133]
CO (104.7BBs) [VPIP: 30.9% | PFR: 3.3% | AGG: 9.8% | Hands: 124]
BTN (118.4BBs) [VPIP: 40% | PFR: 30% | AGG: 37.5% | Hands: 30]
HERO (419.8BBs)
BB (89.8BBs) [VPIP: 60.7% | PFR: 14.3% | AGG: 60.5% | Hands: 28]
UTG_1 (103.8BBs) [VPIP: 10.9% | PFR: 6.9% | AGG: 11.8% | Hands: 102]

Dealt to Hero: K A

UTG_1 Folds, UTG Calls 1BBs, MP Folds, CO Folds, BTN Raises To 2.2BBs, HERO Raises To 10.3BBs, BB Folds, UTG Folds, BTN Calls 8.1BBs

Hero SPR on Flop: [4.64 effective]
Flop (23.3BBs): 6 4 3
HERO Bets 7BBs (Rem. Stack: 402.5BBs), BTN Calls 7BBs (Rem. Stack: 101BBs)

Turn (37.2BBs): 6 4 3 5
HERO Checks, BTN Bets 101BBs (allin)

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's an easy fold for me. Not worth getting it in with two overcards when you could very well be dead in the water against their range.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Like the 3-bet and perfect sizing with two limpers in the pot. A very common mistake here is going to small and getting called by everyone.

Flop
This is a very bad flop for your hand and range, since you likely dont 3-bet with anything, that flopped two pair or better. I dont see a bet accomplishing much here, since its impossible to get a better hand to fold, and you are also not getting called by many worse hands, especially not if you plan on barreling future streets. Finally you open yourself to getting check-raising, which would force you to fold. So to me this is one of those "hey Villain would you like to play 100% perfect?" kind of bets, and I would just check back and take a free card. One of the advantages of raising preflop in position is, that you can often take a 4-card flop, when you want to, and this is a great time to do it.

Turn
Easy fold.

V

VladB850

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Easy fold for me. Maybe he is bluffing but not worthy to pay. He could have a top pair in hand and you loose 25% from your stack

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Preflop
Like the 3-bet and perfect sizing with two limpers in the pot. A very common mistake here is going to small and getting called by everyone.

Flop
This is a very bad flop for your hand and range, since you likely dont 3-bet with anything, that flopped two pair or better. I dont see a bet accomplishing much here, since its impossible to get a better hand to fold, and you are also not getting called by many worse hands, especially not if you plan on barreling future streets. Finally you open yourself to getting check-raising, which would force you to fold. So to me this is one of those "hey Villain would you like to play 100% perfect?" kind of bets, and I would just check back and take a free card. One of the advantages of raising preflop in position is, that you can often take a 4-card flop, when you want to, and this is a great time to do it.

Turn
Easy fold.
Yes. Horrible flop and I like your line better than mine! I am working on checking back these kind of spots more often. Thanks for the reminder!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes. Horrible flop and I like your line better than mine! I am working on checking back these kind of spots more often. Thanks for the reminder!
You are welcome, but I actually made a mistake here, since you were out of position. That makes it a lot closer, because if you check, he might bet, and then you are in a kind of awkward spot.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take a look at the story you tell…..
pre flop … 10 BB …… I have a good hand
post flop … 7 BB. ……. I have a hand that maybe ok, but I Will C-Bet
post turn… check . ….. okay I will not waste any more chips on this. I think.

R

Rmi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
From the start the hand is badly played. I couldn't see which hand you made 3bet with and I think you're in SB. The role of villain is very low and the 3bet tmb, its range is wide compared to yours and it has many more stairs, two pairs, or simply a trio that prefers to match it. The fold was on the flop, with a table that doesn't affect your range.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a huge stack after picking off 2 bluffs in a row a few minutes before this hand from 2 other players. Don't know much about this player except he is was pretty active, LAG-type player from Ukraine.

NL Holdem $2.27+$0.23 (1200.00BB)
UTG (137.3BBs) [VPIP: 90% | PFR: 0% | AGG: 8.3% | Hands: 10]
MP (96.4BBs) [VPIP: 5.3% | PFR: 0.8% | AGG: 4.5% | Hands: 133]
CO (104.7BBs) [VPIP: 30.9% | PFR: 3.3% | AGG: 9.8% | Hands: 124]
BTN (118.4BBs) [VPIP: 40% | PFR: 30% | AGG: 37.5% | Hands: 30]
HERO (419.8BBs)
BB (89.8BBs) [VPIP: 60.7% | PFR: 14.3% | AGG: 60.5% | Hands: 28]
UTG_1 (103.8BBs) [VPIP: 10.9% | PFR: 6.9% | AGG: 11.8% | Hands: 102]

Dealt to Hero: K A

UTG_1 Folds, UTG Calls 1BBs, MP Folds, CO Folds, BTN Raises To 2.2BBs, HERO Raises To 10.3BBs, BB Folds, UTG Folds, BTN Calls 8.1BBs

Hero SPR on Flop: [4.64 effective]
Flop (23.3BBs): 6 4 3
HERO Bets 7BBs (Rem. Stack: 402.5BBs), BTN Calls 7BBs (Rem. Stack: 101BBs)

Turn (37.2BBs): 6 4 3 5
HERO Checks, BTN Bets 101BBs (allin)
We want to preplan our hands-
Step 1 preflop we reflect on all the data we have-before we act

Our #1 piece of data is our stack depth vs this V we are 118bb eff preflop that fact dictates how we balance our play post flop- we cannot stack off easily at this stack depth- so pot control is a strong possibility on many boards if called

#2 we are OPP vs a LAG-What does that mean if the LAG is good? they are much less likely to call a raise with dominated hands- then stack off with those hands so once again we are not easily playing for stacks on many flops

#3 we cannot easily define a good LAG's full range at this stack depth- which is perfect for IP LAG play- they can make showing down our hand very difficult and they can also max pressure AA KK QQ type hands on the right boards and they can have nut hands on many board types because they may know to fold many Ax- Kx hands we dominate and or to pot control those hands if they call them.

#1 preflop takeaway in this spot AA KK QQ AK are not crushing post flop vs a good lag unless they improve.
#2 our preflop raise sizing has less effect on range vs this type of player
#3 our range is more clearly defined for our V based on our HUD stats and SB standard deep stack ranges

Take the time to think thru the above data now and decide what the best plan for this hand vs this V would be.
What about range can we use a different plan from the AK-based on range interaction with this board
Do we want to build a pot- do we want to realize equity- if betting how many streets and which ones if not all
do we have blockers- do we have backdoor equity- will the turn and river give us frequent bluff opportunities
How often is this LAG going to fold to a c-bet at this stack depth IP ---how does that effect our plan

Last edited:
rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fold. there are many hands that beat yours and i think villain might have a pair of deuces, A2 or maybe a7 so i think folding is the right choice.

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
good sizing pre
could go smaller on the flop, but overall for sure solid line
Hope this Helps and Good Luck!