MP: 1,500 (75 bb)
MP+1: 1,500 (75 bb)
LP: 1,500 (75 bb)
CO: 1,500 (75 bb)
BU: 1,500 (75 bb)
SB: 1,500 (75 bb)
BB (Hero): 1,500 (75 bb)

Pre-Flop: (57) Hero is BB with 8♠ A♣
3 players fold, MP+1 calls 20, 2 players fold, BTN calls 20, SB calls 10, Hero checks

Flop: (107) 9♣ Q♠ A♥ (4 players)
SB checks, Hero bets 64, MP+1 raises to 160, 2 players fold, Hero calls 96

Turn: (427) 9♠ (2 players)
Hero checks, MP+1 checks

River: (427) K♦ (2 players)
Hero checks, MP+1 bets 1,317 (all-in), Hero?

This is the very first hand in a 180 man turbo SnG on PokerStars. HUD has not popped up yet, so no reads on any of the opponents.

F

fifille07

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
I've learned that calling for a split pot is not a good idea. And it's the best you can expect here...

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Total posts
Awards
BR
hand with a replayer = 1 to 2 minutes to annalise
hand without replayer = 1 to 10 minutes to annalise

I think the fold is the right play - I can't see a bluff, also in the first hand...

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Thanks for the comments. I think, the standard play here is definitely to fold. Its a limped pot, and as I wrote many times "never go broke in a limped pot". However I actually ended up calling, and the reason is, his line made no sense to me. Raising the flop with bottom pair makes no sense, so I did not think, trips was in his range. Limping preflop with AK, AQ or QQ+ also seems pretty weird. Not saying it never happens, but I think, these hands are strongly discounted from his range.

He is really only representing a few full houses like A9 or Q9 and then one combo of quads. And even those hands are very weird to play as a check back on turn after raising the flop. When you raise people on the flop, they are typically just going to try to get to a cheap showdown, so first raising and then slowplaying makes absolutely no sense, even if you turn a full house.

So I really felt, that this smelled like a bullshit bluff. Also this tournament is at the bottom of my buyin range, and I am overrolled for it. So if I flew out of it in the first hand, then I would just pay another 2,5$ and register for the next one, and it would not bother me to much. He had 22, so my read was correct, and I dubbled up in the first hand of the tournament :)

vsawake01

vsawake01

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
So I really felt, that this smelled like a bullshit bluff.
At least that bluff look really strange IP. Raise flop, skip turn and all in on river. Strange for most ranges. You missed JT - one from limp range

And yes, small pair from undisciplined player looks very similar.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
You missed JT - one from limp range

Thats true but even with that hand its a really weird line. Raising flop with just a naked gutshot on a A high board, where people are just never folding top pair. Then not continuing the bluff on the turn. And then going all in on the river, when he makes a straight on a paired board, where in theory I could be checking a full house to trap him. His line really makes sense with no hand at all, so I guess, you can say, it was a curiosity call :)

vsawake01

vsawake01

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
Thats true but even with that hand its a really weird line. Raising flop with just a naked gutshot on a A high board, where people are just never folding top pair. Then not continuing the bluff on the turn. And then going all in on the river, when he makes a straight on a paired board, where in theory I could be checking a full house to trap him. His line really makes sense with no hand at all, so I guess, you can say, it was a curiosity call :)

Yes, good bluff should be planned on flop and started on turn

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Total posts
Awards

Nice read FD, I personally put him on an Ace (A/7 A/8 A/T A/J) that would have split the pot with you because of the King kicker hitting the board. I agree - and will often deduce that it is not a great call - to call a huge overbet - just to earn a split pot - however in this instance - I was going to reply - this line was just so unconvincingly odd - that I would have made the call this time for a split pot.

Also - I have Don't go broke in a limped pot - on a sticky note on my monitor!! :)