$2.5 NLHE MTT Bounty: Nut Flush Draw on Paired Board vs Deep Stack

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you shove on villain here? He's the big stack at the table and starting to bully for bounties. Do I risk my tournament life here vs. the odds he folds or we make our flush?

Is folding this flop and conserving my 36BB a reasonable consideration?

Is calling and assessing turn more sensible?

GG Poker - 100/200 Ante 30 NL (8 max) - Holdem - 8 players

BB: 62.64 BB
UTG: 46.96 BB
UTG+1: 120.57 BB
MP: 63.23 BB
MP+1: 65.22 BB
CO: 27.89 BB
Hero (BTN): 38.79 BB
SB: 62.88 BB

8 players post ante of 0.15 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.7 BB) Hero has 7 A

fold, UTG+1 raises to 2 BB, fold, fold, CO calls 2 BB, Hero calls 2 BB, fold, BB calls 1 BB

Flop: (9.7 BB, 4 players) 4 4 T
BB checks, UTG+1 bets 4.85 BB, fold, Hero ??

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Calling here is ok, but it would also not be totally crazy to simply fold and not get involved against an EP open with a hand, that is quite often going to be kicker dominated. Seeing an A high flop with this hand is often going to be a bit of a dicy spot, so for this call to be profitable, you need to be able to navigate postflop very well.

Flop
We cant fold, when we flopped the nut flushdraw. This is exactly, what we were hoping for, and the entire justification for calling preflop. I dont see much reason to raise either though. With these stack sizes and especially with it being a bounty tournament, his reaction to a raise will often be push or fold rather than call. So you get him to fold his air, which is of course fine, but you can also achieve that by betting turn, when he check to you AKA "float play".

And when he has a real hand, you are getting it all in on the flop at best flipping, which takes away your positional advantage and kind of negates the whole idea of calling on BTN with some speculative hands like this. So with these stack sizes I would play my entire range as a call. You dont need to raise to get all the chips in, and therefore your very strongest hands like a flopped boat can also just call and keep his bluffing range alive.

L

lanelosee100

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would flat call and allow his over aggression to pay you off when you get there otherwise you are playing into his game by piling in chips with nothing. Trap the big stack who thinks he can get away with anything because he is a chip leader and feeling confident.

Full Flush Poker